Little question about the pack

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Lucius Snow

Little question about the pack

Post by Lucius Snow » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:28 pm

Hello,

Does the tcpip.sys in the pack is hacked to acceped more than the 10 connections ? If not :

- Would you do it for the next release pack ?
or
- Can i hack it myself safely ? The checkum would change. I may need to use modifyPE.exe too .. What would be the method ?

Thank you.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Re: Little question about the pack

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:39 am

Lucius Snow wrote:Hello,

Does the tcpip.sys in the pack is hacked to acceped more than the 10 connections ? If not :

- Would you do it for the next release pack ?
It's not hacked and I have no intention of hacking it. The only hacked files I use are ones which don't change the default operation for users. With a hacked TCP/IP file, the user has no choice how many connections they want to accept. Compare that with SFC_OS.dll, where WFP remains enabled by default but the user has the option of disabling it with a registry entry or UXTHEME.dll where the hacked file makes no difference except for allowing unsigned themes.
- Can i hack it myself safely ? The checkum would change. I may need to use modifyPE.exe too .. What would be the method ?
Yes, you can hack it yourself following the same procedure as always. Yes, doing so would change the checksum and you'd have to modifyPE it as well. Yes, hacking it will cause QFECheck to complain about hotfix KB884020 not being installed properly. You can get around it.

When you run modifyPE, run it with the verbose output flag:

Code: Select all

modifype -c -v tcpip.sys
There will be a line which tells you the file's new checksum. Write it down. Next, there's two ways to make the hotfix all is well. First, you can expand RVMUpPck.inf and edit the checksum value in the KB884020 section. Or, you can add a registry entry during unattended setup that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB884020\Filelist\0]
"BuildCheckSum"="5c327"
Obviously, the example above is the default checksum, but that's what you'd need to change.

And yes, you'd have to re-compress tcpip.sys and RVMUpPck.inf again afterwards.

Lucius Snow

Post by Lucius Snow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:02 pm

Thank you. It seems the method doesn't work anymore with this new tcpip.sys. I can't find the hex adress, neither the values :?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:15 pm

Why not just use the lvllord patch to do it?

Lucius Snow

Post by Lucius Snow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:41 pm

I didn't know it ;) ... thanks, it's actually more simpler than the manual method. By the way, the build date doesn't have to be changed too ?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:49 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:I didn't know it ;) ... thanks, it's actually more simpler than the manual method. By the way, the build date doesn't have to be changed too ?
I'm pretty certain that the build date can be left alone.

Lucius Snow

Post by Lucius Snow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:30 pm

It seems to have worked without changing the building date so you're probably right. Anyway, when i create my ISO using CDimage.exe, i reset all the files date to 08/23/2001, 09:00:00.

So do you think that when i'll translate your pack, i should just leave the building dates alone and change only the checksums in your INF ?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:48 am

I think you'll want to use the registry information created by your version of the hotfix installer and change whatever's needed.

maska

Post by maska » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:32 am

I have one question (this thing is still not clear to me :( ): do I still have to use lvllord's patch if I already have KB884020 fix? I have Win XP SP2 (created with nLite and used your full update pack) and I use eMule a lot.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:52 am

Yes
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

maska

Post by maska » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:19 am

Ok, thanks.

Or maybe I should use "Maximum unfinished simultaneos connection" option from nLite in the future for a new CD?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:43 pm

Yeah, let nLite patch it for you.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357