Regarding the next version...

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
bledd

Post by bledd » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:36 am

robocopy to a 2nd hd, and to a 2nd pc, thats what i use for backup!

get it from the win2003 rktools.exe ..

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:35 pm

I've actually got a licensed copy of Second Copy 2000 already to do the job :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

FOOSA

Post by FOOSA » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:18 pm

Ryan are u ready with the new release of ur update pack? Really can't wait 2 format and re-insall with ur new pack... my current Windows is stalling

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:45 pm

I'm not going to get a new pack out until this whole RAID mess is sorted out. I would have hoped you could have figured that out from this thread...

PowerPlay

Post by PowerPlay » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:01 pm

FOOSA wrote:Ryan are u ready with the new release of ur update pack? Really can't wait 2 format and re-insall with ur new pack... my current Windows is stalling
Wow ur not very smart are ya. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with the recovery Ryan. Been there done that and its not fun. It's only a few updates anyways, we can all wait. No worrys.

Laterz.

-PP(TM)

noltha

Post by noltha » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:54 am

FOOSA wrote:Ryan are u ready with the new release of ur update pack? Really can't wait 2 format and re-insall with ur new pack... my current Windows is stalling

We are all waiting for Ryans pack, but if you read this topic he has problems with his RAID configuration.

I know out of experience that this is a really bad thing. In my case the HD failed and i had it all in raid0 (which i will never do again)

Ryan, good luck with recovering, and we all just gonna wait till YOU'RE done.

b.t.w. you're work is highly appreciated.

amirali_esh

Post by amirali_esh » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:16 am

You guys are starting to make we worry cause I have three hard disks and they are configure in raid-0, I am going to add a fourth and make a RAID-5 array however till then I have to just hope for safety of my data.

FOOSA

Post by FOOSA » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:00 am

PowerPlay wrote:
Wow ur not very smart are ya. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with the recovery Ryan. Been there done that and its not fun. It's only a few updates anyways, we can all wait. No worrys.

Laterz.

-PP(TM)
M8 its not about smartness or figuring something out, I was in a hurry and posted a message using the Fast Reply without reading the other messages. So next time be careful before you reply to my messages.

And good luck with your RAID issue Ryan

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:23 am

amirali_esh wrote:You guys are starting to make we worry cause I have three hard disks and they are configure in raid-0, I am going to add a fourth and make a RAID-5 array however till then I have to just hope for safety of my data.
I've got one more thing I want to try today before I give up all hope of recovering my data. The best quote I got from a recovery service was $2000 - not going to happen.

And again, what makes me feel the worst about all of this is that I had every intention of getting an external backup for the array because I was worried about just such a situation arising :(.

noltha

Post by noltha » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 am

amirali_esh wrote:You guys are starting to make we worry cause I have three hard disks and they are configure in raid-0, I am going to add a fourth and make a RAID-5 array however till then I have to just hope for safety of my data.
yeah well what shall i say about it. Always make backups m8.

And please don't use IBM gxp 60/75 Hd's in raid. (that's what i did)
It will invite trouble. raid 5 is quick and much safer.

neilq

Donate !

Post by neilq » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:09 am

I just ran across Ryan's work in the last couple of weeks, creating my first updated post-SP2 install CD last week. What a great service he provides. If we all donate maybe Ryan can afford a data recovery service, at least it will help him rebuild.

Ryan, I just sent sent you $100.

techtype

Re: Donate !

Post by techtype » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 am

neilq wrote:I just ran across Ryan's work in the last couple of weeks, creating my first updated post-SP2 install CD last week. What a great service he provides. If we all donate maybe Ryan can afford a data recovery service, at least it will help him rebuild.

Ryan, I just sent sent you $100.
Yeah, that's the best idea yet. I'll send some too, but it won't match yours!

Edit: Done!!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:03 pm

Thank you very much for the generous donations all of you :)

Aviator747

Post by Aviator747 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:35 pm

Ryan, Have you tried R-Studio? http://www.r-tt.com/ It is a very excellent drive recovery program. I have used it on a ntfs partition previously and it worked almost flawlessly. Very minimual corruption. It also recovered several *.iso files.

It says that it rebuilds raid arrays. I am not sure if it works on raid1o yet. But, it is worth a look into.

Good luck man. :)

tbone2

Post by tbone2 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:19 pm

File Scavenger 3.0 worked for me. http://www.quetek.com/

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Changing the line of discussion a little bit, but still related to the upcoming release.. It seems like ages ago to me that the fist RyanVM Update Pack was released. The installation instructions were a single HTML page describing how to decompress the cab file and then make some changes to your txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf files.

I can't believe how far things have come in such a short time. I also remember when Siginet first started work on a pretty small and simple utility to automate the integration of the update pack. Who would have predicted that a completely modular system allowing all kinds of addons and tweaks would emerge from such humble beginnings?

And who here could possibly imagine going back to installing Windows XP on a computer the old fashioned way?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:27 pm

Yeah, in retrospect it really is amazing how far things have come. I recently came across a 256MB USB flash drive I thought I'd lost for nearly a year, and it had a bunch of old update pack-related stuff on it. Quite interesting to see where things used to be!

And on a hopeful note, I decided to give RAID Reconstructor another chance, this time hooking up two of the striped drives to the nVidia SATA controller, and I think it may be working :-). I'm not 100% certain yet, but I'm more hopeful now than I have been up to this point.

As always, I'll keep you guys updated!

fluid

Post by fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:02 pm

I was thinking of getting RAID but now I can see it is complicated. Lol.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:21 pm

The moral of the story is that RAID will only secure your data in the event of mechanical failure. ALWAYS have a backup of your most important data to another medium so that in the event of a filesystem crash or a RAID controller failure your data will still be OK.

fluid

Post by fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:26 pm

I agree, I learned that all too well when my 2nd HD broke down.

Now I backup my data to a DVD, to a second HD and to my iPod.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:20 pm

What I do is just have a network. There is my pc, my son's pc, and my wife's pc. And I created a partition on each specifically to be a shared drive on the network (all wired to a router). So we just back up our files on each other's computers.

But I have never had a hard drive failure in any computer I have used, I don't know why ryan seems to get them every 5 minutes, maybe he is just very unlucky and I am very lucky, I dunno.

fluid

Post by fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:50 pm

How many times did Ryan had a HD failure?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:05 am

Several he has bad luck with harddrives...

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:51 am

You can do a raid 5 with three disks can't you?

@Kel,

I had several too until I got rid of the Western Digital drives and started using the Hitachi drives. I haven't had a bit of problem with them in over a year now, Thank GOD. You can't pay me to have any more Maxtor drives either, if they were free, I'd just trash them as I couldn't forgive myself if I were to sell them to anyone.

I know someone who's been running Seagates now for the last 15 years without problems as well. That's also why I've been putting off going to 64-bit, as I'm waiting for NVidia's 5th gen chipset and ATI's 3rd gen processors to be released this year and get an MSI motherboard with built in Audigy sound on board as well as raid 5 built in, and then use that to build my system on. Hopefully by then, the 64-bit drivers will be more matured. Which is the biggest reason I hadn't updated to x64 yet, in that the drivers are all still mostly in beta for it, if they even exist yet.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

amirali_esh

Post by amirali_esh » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:57 am

You can do a raid 5 with three disks can't you?
Yes, I could however I need the capacity of three hard disks so I need to add a fourth. My hard disks are western digital and I never had any problems. I never keep hard disks for more than 6 months. Every 6 months or so I change my hard disks for newer ones and I've been doing this for three years now. I've had bad experience with Maxtor drives too so I will never get any. By the way sorry for my bad english cause it is not my first language.

P.S : Ryan, sorry for off topic discussion :)

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:18 am

You're English is just fine.. :D

Also, when a hard drive says it's warranted for up to 3-5 years, I highly expect it to last that long. I don't expect a drive to fail within that time, but unfortunately with Western Digital drives they have never lasted me more than 6-8 months, which is why I wen't to Hitachi's. Maxtor drives never lasted that long which is why you couldn't pay me to own one. That combined with their (lack of) tech support. At least Western Digital does have a decent tech support, just that I got tired of using them.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:18 pm

I actually have had quite a few western digitals. My son's pc has a raptor in it and my pc is currently running 2 80gb western digital's in RAID 0.

The only drives I would buy are Western Digital, Hitachi, and Seagate. I would never buy a Maxtor drive, because even though I have never owned one personally I have heard the crap about them from everyone.

Oh and since we are talking about longevity of drives also I would like to mention that I have one western digital drive that has been working for 5 years now and I also have a Seagate drive that is 7 years old, and still works! :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:42 pm

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Let's see, I've had Western Digital, Maxtor, and IBM drives all fail on me in the past. I've got a Seagate on the way that I can put in an external enclosure as a backup.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:38 pm

Ug, IBM's are terrible, even worse than maxtor. :)

Just buy Seagate's from now on Ryan, I am sure you will be a much happier camper.

Raider

Post by Raider » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 pm

I have to agree with the Seagate people. I believe I was the first to recommend that last time your WD failed. I will say as I did then, I have been building computers for seven years and have used Seagate exclusively for six. In that time I have had one Seagate drive fail. Including upgrading computers that's around 150 drives with one bad one. And Seagate didn't waste anytime replacing that one.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 pm

Let's not forget that this wasn't a drive failure this time. This was a controller fuckup.

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:31 pm

RyanVM, what RAID controller f*cked up ur array?

if it's NF4's, the RAID driver from nVidia could be the culprit.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:56 pm

Use a DFI motherboard with the latest BIOS and you won't have any trouble with NVRAID.

And for windows use the 6.70 drivers from nvidia.

unreal

Post by unreal » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:56 am

This thread quite amusing, the selfish "I want my update" posts and "I dont care about your data".

Anyways GL ryan, and im off to backup all my stuff to DVD because of reading this :O

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:01 am

unreal, you are not real, so... ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:06 am

It's the SiImage 3114r5 controller. I use the nVidia controller as a standard SATA controller.

cyberloner

Post by cyberloner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:20 am

i dun trust raid..
if for playing game.. raid is god...
for old user and hate to data loss like me...
i would say no to raid =X

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:34 pm

I haven't completely lost hope yet, but it appears that the MFT got hosed as well, meaning what data the programs do see is basically garbage :(

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Ryan, if there's any software your missing that I can help you replace, let me know, I have most all of your packs backed up, if that will help any. Not sure about anything else though, let me know if I can help though. I wouldn't have thought that the Silimage controllers were all that bad, you must've just got ahold of one. Personally I use the nVidia or Promise raids myself, but I don't try and do anything fancy with my setups either. Did you try and remove the controller card, (if this is possible,) and blowing out the PCI slot then reinserting it again? Outside of that and replacing the card hoping for the best I really don't know what else to tell you.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm using an SiI3114 as well for a RAID5 setup using the latest drivers from Microsoft Update. Is yours on a PCI card? Which drivers did you use?

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Could you give an approximate for 2.0.2? I'm not trying to badger, just would like to know so I can decide to either install with 2.0.1 or wait for 2.0.2.

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:54 am

I'd recommend you install w/ 2.0.1. It's not worthy to bother Ryan w/ so many questions regarding this thing. Asking for estimation is nothing different than asking when it'll come out. He can't be sure, and can't estimate either. It'll come out when it is finished. You've been here longer than me (I registered before you but didn't come here often), you should know that.

av8tor_64D

Post by av8tor_64D » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:06 am

Take your time Ryan

buletov

Post by buletov » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:42 am

Well for me the 2.0.1 is great. Actually, Ryan, please postpone your update pack as long as possible so that I don't have to rebuild my UACD from scratch over again any time soon... :mrgreen: your pack is basically the only reason I ever do that...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:20 am

buletov wrote:Well for me the 2.0.1 is great. Actually, Ryan, please postpone your update pack as long as possible so that I don't have to rebuild my UACD from scratch over again any time soon... :mrgreen: your pack is basically the only reason I ever do that...
LOL! :D

I agree 2.0.1 is very good. I can wait. It's not hard to do a small update after I install.

@Everyone... I doubt if Ryan will release anything before Christmas. It is family time now. Please be patient. You all will be very pleased with what is comming in the near future. So... I promise it will be worth the wait. ;) Ryan has got a life... and it is holiday season. So stay tuned.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:56 am

If someone wants to make an addon pack for the December updates, it's quite doable.

Here's where things stand:
-All of my MSFN-related files are gone. I have backup copies on my server of all the CABs I've ever released and the most current state of my website.
-I've got to find the CD, but I think I have a burned CD sitting around with my absolute latest pack integrated into it (a bit more recent than MSXML6test for those in the know).
-I have a 144MB 7zip archive of every hotfix I've ever downloaded from 11/23 backed up online as well, so I won't be completely starting over from scratch in that department.
-All of my custom build scripts and such that I used for the SFX installers and my update packs are gone, so I'm going to have to recreate them in time.
-The custom 7zip SFX module is gone (though I think it can be retrieved from an existing EXE)
-All of my test ISOs are gone (except for a backup copy of XP Pro Gold I made)
-Most of the software I used for testing is recoverable, though it'll take time to get it back

And that's just the MSFN-related stuff on the drive. That doesn't account for all of the other stuff I had on there like 36GB worth of music, many GB worth of downloaded programs, my firefox build setup, my large collection of TV episodes. A lot of it's recoverable, but it's going to take awhile to re-get it all.

cyberloner

Post by cyberloner » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:07 am

that's truely a bad bad bad news

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:02 am

Holy shit... I somehow get the feeling a lot of bugs which were squashed in the past will return when rebuilding... :(

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:06 am

Why would you think that?