winnt32 install from network share via Bart's PE

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
tridgely

winnt32 install from network share via Bart's PE

Post by tridgely » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:08 pm

So I've been trying various methods to get slipstreamed hotfixes into my deployment share, with varying degrees of success.

When I use RyanVM's pack, the GUI-mode file copy (T-51) goes through just fine. The computer will reboot into text-mode setup, and everything will progress beautifully through that. Then, when it reboots, I would expect to see GUI-mode setup (T-39 and on). However, it re-enters text-mode setup, which tells me that a Windows folder already exists, etc.! It will keep rebooting into text-mode setup, never entering GUI-mode.

This behavior only occurs when using RyanVM's pack. If I have no hotfix slipstreaming, it works just fine.

Any ideas why it would not enter GUI-mode setup? $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS still exist on the systemdrive after text-mode setup, but I can't really figure out why. I feel like it would work if it actually progressed into T-39.

Thanks!
Tim

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Search around and you'll find a few more threads regarding my pack and winnt.exe & winnt32.exe installs. Long story short is that it's known to be buggy. I've been told (though I personally haven't tested) that removing Flash from the update pack fixes it. I can't speak to your specific problems, but I know others have wrestled with these issues in the past.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:36 am

It works correctly if you remove "/tempdrive:C" from the command line and let Windows choose its own... but with your command line it loops through the text-mode setup indefinitely... still researching the reason...
tridgely wrote:I just had a question. I've tried using the latest update pack that is supposed to work with winnt32.exe installs, and I'm still having the problem I indicated in this post: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201.

I want to check that I'm using the same switches with winnt32 that you guys are. I'm running "winnt32.exe /syspart:C /tempdrive:C /unattend:B:\unattend.txt" Is this what you guys are doing also to get it to work? This works for me with other slipstreaming methods (I got it to work with HFSLIP, with only minor edits to txtsetup.sif).
Note that I neither use $OEM$ nor DriverPacks, hence I removed the appropriate lines from Unattend.txt when I tested, but kept everything else the same (using my key of course)...

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:55 am

Found the reason:

When Text-Mode setup is finished, NTLDR on the root of the drive to which Windows is going to be installed is supposed to be replaced by the one inside the i386 folder (before and during textmode, NTLDR on the root of the drive is a copy of SETUPLDR.BIN)...

For some reason, when the parameter /tempdrive:C is specified, TextMode at the end "forgets" to do that leaving the SETUPLDR.BIN clone on the root of drive...

It is that NTLDR which causes the setup to loop textmode forever...

Solution: Copy C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\NTLDR to C:\ overwriting the NTLDR already there after textmode is finished (by booting from another DOS CD, BartPE ... etc.)

Now, the question is... WHY does TextMode do (or doesn't) do that... ??

@tridgley: Yes after entering GUI mode, everything progresses beautifully normal afterwards..., no errors...

@RyanVM: Any insight into this ?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:14 am

I know nothing about winnt32.exe installs

JSe

Post by JSe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

The control about things ntldr does or does not is in boot.ini. In the Textmode phase of the setup boot.ini will be changed to boot in GUIMode next time. Even the optional conversation of the filesystem to NTFS takes place after a GUIMode boot.

@tridgely and @n7epsilon
could one of you please post your boot.ini before and after Textmode setup for further diag.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29 am

Nice to see you back JSe :wink:

Already done that: I checked it, after TextMode reboot it contained:

Code: Select all

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
but still booted into TextMode again ! (ie: TextMode looping)...

I fixed it by copying C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\NTLDR overwriting C:\NTLDR (which had a different filesize) without touching BOOT.INI and when I rebooted, it correctly proceeded to GUI mode setup...

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Could this be another FileFlags issue?

[FileFlags]
halmps.dll = 8
halsp.dll = 8
kernel32.dll = 1
ntdll.dll = 1
win32k.sys = 1
ntldr = 2
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

tridgely

Post by tridgely » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:05 pm

When I looked at the earlier post, I figured it might be something within txtsetup.sif, but my pre-ryanvm txtsetup.sif is identical to post-ryanvm txtsetup.sif as far as all lines with "ntldr" in them go.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:31 pm

@JSe
Can you provide a link to the MSDN article where you found the FileFlags description ?

Maybe it can be fixed like Siginet suggested...

EDIT: nvm: I found one:
INF File Sections and Directives
MSDN wrote:0x00000002 (COPYFLG_NOSKIP)
Do not allow the user to skip copying a file. This flag is implied if the driver package is signed.
According to that, NTLDR is supposed to be copied correctly...

Change it to NTLDR = 4 ?
MSDN wrote:0x00000004 (COPYFLG_NOVERSIONCHECK)
Ignore file versions and write over existing files in the destination directory. This flag and the next two are mutually exclusive. This flag is irrelevant to digitally signed INF files.

tridgely

Post by tridgely » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Tested with NTLDR = 4 and NTLDR = 4096; neither worked.

I don't understand why changing this is necessary, really. It's NTLDR = 2 in an unmodified txtsetup.sif.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:22 pm

There are other fileflags that we had to change just to get winnt32.exe installs to get this far. So it could be possible.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

JSe

Post by JSe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 pm

@JSe
Can you provide a link to the MSDN article where you found the FileFlags description ?
Oh sorry, there is no link I'm aware of. I fear that now has come the time to disclose a secret. After I had found the problem that there were files which had been moved (not copied) in Textmode to their destination directories and there were also files that stayed untouched until GUIMode I had the question where does this depend on and found the solution in the [SourceDiskFiles] in the eighth field (see my first post). And now the next question: Are there also files that are copied and not moved? To find the answer I did some statistics: how many files are in c:\$win_nt$.~ls before Textmode setup and how many are there and how many files are in c:\windows after Textmode. I found that there were more files in c:\windows (and its subdirs) than the number of files that had been disappeared from c:\$win_nt$.~ls so did a next pass of installation. I found that tere are about 30 files that were copied not moved in Textmode, what means they exist twice after Textmode in c:\$win_nt$.~ls and in c:\windows or one of its subdirs. And now I searched in txtsetup.sif to find out what's the common property of these 30 files and found their entry under [FileFlags]. And now I had to find out all files that were moved in Textmode and shall be copied instead and gave them an extra entry under [FileFlags]
That was the rest of the story I did not publish until now.
EDIT: nvm: I found one:
INF File Sections and Directives
Yes, but txtsetup.sif has its own syntax, items of this description are only valid in GIUMode setup. Further we will have to differentiate between "Application *.inf-files" and "Driver *.inf-files" with diffrent set of sections in the *.inf files.

However, this all does not solve tridgely's problem.
Could this be another FileFlags issue?
I think it's not, but I'm not sure.

I read "my" other post http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1653 with all its answers again and now I'm sure we both n7epsilon and me did a successful installation with BartPE and winnt32.exe and without tridgely's problem. My suggestion at this point is to reproduce such an installation and then post my unattend.txt and commandline switches of winnt32.exe.
If this succeeds tridgely can take this unattend.txt as it is or he can try to change line by line towards his own unattend.txt until the problem occurs. So let me start, I'll come back here later.

tridgely

Post by tridgely » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:31 pm

I'm not using an unattend.txt any more. The problem happens even without the /unattend switch.

My installation works fine if I just run winnt32.exe without switches. If I use /syspart:C with its /tempdrive:C complement (they must always be used together, or at least so the docs say), then text-mode setup will continue ad infinitum.

I also confirmed n7Epsilon's earlier note that manually copying ntldr will make the installation progress just fine.

JSe

Post by JSe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 pm

I successful finished an unattended installation with BartPE and winn32.exe just now.
My installation works fine if I just run winnt32.exe without switches. If I use /syspart:C with its /tempdrive:C complement (they must always be used together, or at least so the docs say), then text-mode setup will continue ad infinitum.
That's not correct! If you use /syspart:C you also will have to use /tempdrive:C but not vice versa!!!
And it seems to me this is the solution of your problem. Do not use /syspart:C and all runs fine.

My commandline was

.\english.w\i386\winnt32.exe /s:.\english.w\i386 /tempdrive:C /copysource:"lang" /unattend:c:\winnt_cf\unattend.txt
where .\english.w\ contains a XPSP2 + RyanVM Updatepack 2.04 and $OEM$ with drivers and Novellclient.

And just for fun the unattend .txt:

[Unattended]
    OemPreinstall="yes"
    NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1
    NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1
    FileSystem="ConvertNTFS"
    UnattendMode="FullUnattended"
    UnattendSwitch=yes
    OemSkipEula="yes"
    TargetPath="WINNT"
    NonDriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"
    DriverSigningPolicy="ignore"    OEMPnPDriversPath="Oemdrv;OemDrv\1;OemDrv\2;OemDrv\3;OemDrv\4;OemDrv\5"
    WaitForReboot=Yes 

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    AutoLogon=No
    AutoLogonCount=0
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=110
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[RegionalSettings]
    LanguageGroup="1","2","5","10"
    SystemLocale="0409"
    UserLocale="0409"
  ; German Keyboard !!!
    InputLocale="0407:00000407","0409:00000409","0419:00000419"
    UserLocale_DefaultUser="0409"
  ; German Keyboard !!!
    InputLocale_DefaultUser="0407:00000407"

[UserData]
    ProductKey="?????-?????-?????-?????-?????"
    FullName="H..."
    OrgName="H..."
    ComputerName=pc-8

[Display]
    XResolution=1280
    YResolution=1024
    BitsPerPel=32
    VRefresh=60

[Components]
    accessopt=On
    calc=On

tridgely

Post by tridgely » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:50 pm

Great! Tested without /syspart, with /tempdrive, working with my old unattend.txt.

Strange though, I could have sworn the syspart was necessary, but apparently it's not. Stupid me!

Thanks for the help!

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:15 am

I've just noticed that RyanVM's Update Pack includes a new SETUPLDR.BIN...

So I think I'm sure that this is FileFlags problem, maybe somehow SETUPLDR.BIN is being somehow checked by Windows Setup before overwriting with NTLDR ? Maybe the FileFlags are being interpreted differently by Setup when it is launched with /Syspart:C ?

Maybe if NTLDR is forced to be copied to the root of the drive without version checking (or digital signature checking) of the already present NTLDR (which is a copy of SETUPLDR.BIN), this problem could be fixed ... ?

JSe

Post by JSe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:08 pm

So I think I'm sure that this is FileFlags problem, maybe somehow SETUPLDR.BIN is being somehow checked by Windows Setup before overwriting with NTLDR ?
NO! The intention of /syspart:X is to begin an installation with winnt32.exe on a second hard disk connected to a host system which is not the destination system. See also "winnt32.exe /?" It should be used with /noreboot.
After the CopyMode setup you can move this hard disk to the destination system to continue with TextMode. So the precondition for /syspart switch to work is a second hard disk. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241803/en-us
So I would call it a good idea not to overwrite the bootloader of the first hard disk of the host system. I didn't try it but now I'm quite sure that this behavior will be the same with all versions of W2K and WXP with and without any service- and updatepacks.

I think this is useful to setup embedded systems, touch screen terminals, media centers where you don't have a CDROM, no Network and not even a keyboard to press "Enter".

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:12 pm

nice! thanks for the info JSe.. good to know. its not something i have run into before, but glad to know that someone understands this stuff :)

TechnoHunter

tridgely

Post by tridgely » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:47 pm

I didn't try it but now I'm quite sure that this behavior will be the same with all versions of W2K and WXP with and without any service- and updatepacks.
Actually, /syspart:C /tempdrive:C works fine for me until I apply the RyanVM pack. Tested with base XPSP1, XPSP2, and XPSP2 with HFSLIP'd hotfixes. Removing /syspart:C also works with those.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:51 pm

anyway to find out the differences tween the two versions of setupldr.bin?

seems that it appears to be the culprit in this case..

TechnoHunter

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:51 pm

I tested now with a base XPSP2 and I confirm tridgely...

Here's my command line:

\\n7-995\genericsp2\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend:"\\n7-995\ctx\unattend.txt" /syspart:C /tempdrive:C /dudisable

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:51 pm

TechnoHunter wrote:anyway to find out the differences tween the two versions of setupldr.bin?

seems that it appears to be the culprit in this case..

TechnoHunter
It's from KB902845

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:12 am

@RyanVM:
Aren't the original SetupLDR.bin and SetupLDR.exe signed by SP2.cat in a base XP SP2 ?

If the Update Pack overwrites \i386\setupldr.bin and setupldr.ex_ they won't be considered as signed anymore by textmode setup, even if the CATs are in SVCPACK because those are only processed during GUI Setup.

Is this correct ?

I'm going to test a base XP SP2 with only these 2 files replaced and a RyanVM SP2 base without these new files for more checking...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:57 am

I don't believe textmode checks for signing. (It doesn't when integrating textmode mass storage drivers.)

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:57 am

Tested: XPSP2 Base + new SetupLDR files = looping

This can be a bug in the new SetupLDR files...
(This IS Microsoft after all... :lol: )

In all cases removing /syspart:C fixes the problem...

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:06 pm

OH MY GOD!

I have been experiencing this problem for about 3 days now !! I have working on this for about 8 hours a day for the last week! I have not been able to figure out what the problem is! I love you guys!

But does anyone actually know the real source of the problem?

PS: I know this is kind of off topic, but can you apply the update pack incrementally? i.e if you have used an older update pack on a installation source, then have made various customizations (edited BTS scripts, included custom themes, modified shell, etc) can i apply the new update pack on top of this without me loosing any of those changes? Thanks
Last edited by jumz on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuMz

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:24 pm

I say the new Setupldr files are the problem ...
I vote: A NEW Microsoft 'FEATURE': A hotfix that causes Textmode to loop if you specify /syspart:X when launching winnt32.exe on a RyanVM'd source (or a source slipstreamed with just this hotfix)...

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:25 pm

UPDATE

ok so i tried my install without the syspart command and i get an error:

No valid system partitions were found. Setup is unable to continue

now as i recall, this was the whole reason i was using syspart, cuz it works when i do
JuMz

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 pm

1. Did you specify /tempdrive on the command line ?
now as i recall, this was the whole reason i was using syspart, cuz it works when i do
2. You mean it worked using RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.4 ?
or
3. Did it work with a generic SP2 source ? (because it does work with just SP2)...

4. Is the hard drive you are installing it on unpartitioned ? If so, then just make a script that makes a primary partition and format it with your choice of filesystem before launching WINNT32.exe ....

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:31 pm

yes i did use the /tempdrive:C: line

I use WinPE to run the winn32. Before winnt32 executes, I use the WipeDisk command in winPE (built-in format) that deletes all paritions and formats the drive.

I guess i just realized that i do not create a partition...but why would this work when using syspart? I am assuming syspart creates a partition then even if one does not exist?
JuMz

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 pm

I actually realized I am making a partition:

[DiskConfig]
Disk1=Disk1.config

[Disk1.config]
WipeDisk = Yes
Size1=*
PartitionType1=primary
FileSystem1=ntfs
QuickFormat1=yes
SetActive1=yes

This is in the winbom.ini and is in accordance to the documentation that came with my OEM Preinstallation Kit...
JuMz

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Possibly, but if you do use /syspart:C (and it created a partition...etc.), it will seem to work until the end of textmode... (where apparently this bug (?) exists...)

For some reason, NTLDR is NOT being copied from C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386 to the root drive, leaving the SETUPLDR copy (C:\NTLDR) intact which causes on next reboot Text-Mode to start again and it tells you that there is an existing installation, so you OK, and it finishes, then reboots, then text-mode....etc.

Boot.ini is correctly updated, but SetupLDR continues to direct the bootloader to run text-mode again...

Looping forever...
The problem is in either the new SetupLDR.BIN or the new SetupLDR.EXE (I am leaning towards the former)...

- I still have to test RyanVM without these 2 files... But I'm expecting a consistent result...

EDIT: And the other wierd thing is that although WINNT32.HLP specifies that at least /TEMPDRIVE:X must be there , when I run WINNT32.EXE with /SYSPART:X and WITHOUT /TEMPDRIVE:X... it works... !

For some reason, when the 2 switches are there, it doesn't work...

Edit: Basically that is the summary of the whole situation...

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Ok well, i am going to do some experimenting in the next hour or 2 here, I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your comments

BTW, does anyone have an answer to my incremental update question?
JuMz

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:00 pm

n7Epsilon wrote:
4. Is the hard drive you are installing it on unpartitioned ? If so, then just make a script that makes a primary partition and format it with your choice of filesystem before launching WINNT32.exe ....
You are absolutely right. I did not create an extended and logical partition. I have corrected this and now my install goes through the GUI and no loops!!

So i guess i really don't need the syspart:c: after all...
JuMz

Djé

Post by Djé » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Eventually, I register on Ryan's forum.

Ok, about this thread, I may arrive after the battle (usually it's safer), but I remember having the same loop problem until I changed my winn32 command line from

/syspart:C /tempdrive:C
to

/syspart:C: /tempdrive:C:
Please note the : colon (colon colon colon: I just learned that word in english :lol:) after the drive letters.

I have no explanation whatsoever. It was not working. I went to msfn, look at posts from people using winnt32, found this discrepancy, corrected and it worked! That's all.

Now, if /syspart is not needed, I may just remove it alltogether.

Also, for information, I'm using Vier's French Update Pack, which has KB902845 removed in its current state (it looks like that hotfix was dedicated to correct an hang on during text mode setup). I don't know why Vier removed it from his pack (1 or 2 -monthly- versions earlier than the last one - february) if it's in Ryan's because Vier says he'd like to follow as close as possible Ryan's (though he's late this month :wink:).
The Enemy is stupid: He beleives us being the enemy.

jumz

Post by jumz » Fri May 12, 2006 6:38 pm

A colon possibly making all the difference? I will test this when I get home.

**PS: Did you guys know that when you are using winnt32, the CORRECT switch for creating a local source that INCLUDES the CMPNETS folder (I.E. used when installing MCE or Tablet) is /makelocalsource:all
JuMz

jumz

Post by jumz » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Is there an update on this at all? any known cause?
JuMz

thelink73

Working.. Kinda...

Post by thelink73 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:17 am

Hi

I've integrated this updatepack on our install files(in our lab environment) and tried to get the installation to work..

At first I hade the same problem with the text based setup, after i changed the start string for WINNT32.EXE from:

P:\WXPWKS\SP2\I386\WINNT32.exe /s:P:\WXPWKS\SP2\I386 /unattend:%TEMPLATEPATH%\unattend.txt /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C:
to

P:\WXPWKS\SP2\I386\WINNT32.exe /s:P:\WXPWKS\SP2\I386 /unattend:%TEMPLATEPATH%\unattend.txt /tempdrive:C:
the installation worked on the following Dell PC's:
D600, D620, D820 and GX620

But when I tried to refresh a Dell D400 the installation diden't find a systemdrive to install XP on...

Is there anybody that have any idea about this?

Regards
Jonas

[/i]

jumz

Re: Working.. Kinda...

Post by jumz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:49 am

thelink73 wrote:
But when I tried to refresh a Dell D400 the installation diden't find a systemdrive to install XP on...

Regards
Jonas

[/i]
You will most likely need to install / integrate a mass storage driver, especially if you are using Servers. The WinPE.chm has detailed instructions on how to get that to work and you will also need to include these same drivers into your XP (text portion) of the install. Look at the ref.chm for more info on that (or MSFN, they have a couple of good guides).
JuMz

thelink73

Re: Working.. Kinda...

Post by thelink73 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:07 am

jumz wrote:
thelink73 wrote:

Regards
Jonas

[/i]
You will most likely need to install / integrate a mass storage driver, especially if you are using Servers. The WinPE.chm has detailed instructions on how to get that to work and you will also need to include these same drivers into your XP (text portion) of the install. Look at the ref.chm for more info on that (or MSFN, they have a couple of good guides).

Hi

I don't think it's the storage drivers that are messing up, the fix for getting around the looping of the text base portion is the problem i think.

I integrated this update pack just to get the KB888111 in my installation, is there anybody that have this update downloaded?

Rgds
/Jonas

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Check Xable's share.. should be there for the downloading..

TechnoHunter

johnny.westerlund

Post by johnny.westerlund » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:47 am

Just thought i'd post my findings. Microsoft states that KB902845:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i thought what the heck. I'll replace those 2 files from an original windows XP sp2 cd. And VOILA. After text-mode setup... lo and behold GUI-setup continues.

my commandline is invoked by a .bat file:
C:
cd C:\WinXPCD\SP2
.\i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /syspart:C /tempdrive:C /unattend:\WinXPCD\SP2\unattend.txt /makelocalsource /S:\WinXPCD\SP2\i386

omniwolf

Post by omniwolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:28 pm

replace those 2 files from an original windows XP sp2 cd
for some reason if i just removed the /syspart:c: thing from my winnt32 commandline, after the T-51 gui install part it would reboot, then come up with a dos error something like "error reading disk, press ctrl + alt + del to reboot". if i put /syspart:c: in it would continuously do the text mode install part (as mentioned above). the only way i could get it to work was do as johnny suggested, replacing those two files from the original windows xp SP2 cd (and also having the /syspart:c: in my cmdline).

i know it was mentioned before that my error might have something to do with the disk not being partitioned or formatted, but i can assure you it was, before the reboot i copy all the i386 source files to the newly formatted C drive, and in winPE i'm able to browse the C drive without problems.. so the /syspart:c: thing appears to be necessary for me :(

the only thing im worried about is if those two files (SETUPLDR.BIN, SETUPLDR.EX_) are unpatched and unsafe or anything like that.. does anyone know?