Copy To/Send To Context Menu

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
skip9

Copy To/Send To Context Menu

Post by skip9 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:57 pm

I had a question on if you could remove this particular context menu from the full update pack?

"Copy To/Send To" I would like to remove it, but before I posted this thread I searched first and found This. You said that you can edit that setting on the RVMUpPck.ini file to remove it, but it has already been compressed in the .cab file as RVMUpPck.IN_ How would I go about doing this, since I would like to have it removed. Thanks.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:59 pm

Extract the INF with a program like WinRAR, edit it, recompress with makecab.

Or just use the Medium pack. Or just unregister the DLL after the fact.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DLF

Post by DLF » Tue May 24, 2005 12:27 pm

"Copy To/Send To" I would like to remove it
So would I, its a pain in the butt. I use the regsvr32 fix to remove it. There is now some superb extras in the Fullpack such as Regmon, etc so have no option but to load it and unload it. Cant use Lite or Med packs.
As most folk are using the excellent Reg Tweakage.NET now http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42693 for their UA CD's this can be added - or not(!) with this utililty can you consider banishing it from next Fullpack release, Ryan?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 24, 2005 12:49 pm

The reason I use the DLL is that there are some noted issues with using registry tweaks to add the context menu items. I'm pretty sure that they're discussed in the MSFN thread I link to from my website for that particular item.

That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to putting up a note on how to unregister the DLL after the fact on my site.

DLF

Post by DLF » Tue May 24, 2005 1:59 pm

That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to putting up a note on how to unregister the DLL after the fact on my site.
There is a link to the Astalavista forum thread with a .dll to download too on your "Files" site here
h**p://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html
in the detail listing of the 1.2.2 pack - but yes if you ARE going to keep it in, it would be better to offer the solution yourself Ryan as a lot of info on the forums is contradictory and half the time is only a matter of someones' usually untested opinion.
Agreed - there are issues doing it via a reg tweak, but there are also negative issues doing it your way, too, in my view, which is why I take it back out.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm

DLF wrote:but there are also negative issues doing it your way, too
Please elaborate

DLF

Post by DLF » Tue May 24, 2005 5:26 pm

Please elaborate
Thought last post was long enough without elaborating!
I have had issues with locking up - more often than not when clients trying to "move to/copy to" files across the network shares here and also across the VPN and also WAN which I control here through a Netgear FVS318 - and occasionally locking up when "moving to/copying to" within same m/c. No BSOD, just a mouse/keyboard lockup, so no way out only the reset switch and the punters got fed up with it!
Never any issues with standard copy/cut/paste - same m/c's & network.
Not all m/c's on network are all same hardware either but its occurred on all m/c's, so I've put it down to the "Copy to/move to" issue - which is why I unreg it now and hey presto issue resolved. Might be something on my network exaggerating the issue(?) and I can give you more hardware detail ifyou want it.
Ryan, its no big deal, my friend, but it just seems a silly way of doing things, putting something in to take it straight out in my personal case, hence my req for it to come right out! But that's just me being selfish for asking, but if ya don't ask ya don't get.
P.S. Thought the Wholockme was garbage, too but the new Unlocker 1.6.1. is very stable in use when occasionally required. I believe that was driven out thru a poll?
Off topic=P.P.S. Saw your last post in Gnome's WM10 thread in MSFN UA Win Forum - :lol:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 24, 2005 5:52 pm

WhoLockMe and Unlocker are two different programs. And yes, Unlocker is great :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

evilvoice

Post by evilvoice » Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 am

DLF wrote:as a lot of info on the forums is contradictory and half the time is only a matter of someones' usually untested opinion.
Agreed - there are issues doing it via a reg tweak, but there are also negative issues doing it your way, too, in my view, which is why I take it back out.
Untested you say? Hmm, why dont you try out the reg tweak and see if it doesnt cause more problems than its worth...if youll find my post on msfn talking about it, you can reproduce the problem and you will see that the reg tweak is a bad idea...but hey, if you like it, leave it in...its not my computer...I personally like the copy to/move to dll and hope ryan doesnt take it out just based on your suggestion to do so...and before you say anything is untested by someone, you might want to do a little research about "some persons opinion" as I have tested thoroughly every single tweak on msfn and know which ones dont work, why they dont, and how to fix the ones that dont work...but i dont post the solution there because I spent months figuring it all out...and didnt want it to be referred to as "some persons usually untested opinion" as you so eloquently put it.

DLF

Post by DLF » Thu May 26, 2005 11:05 am

some persons usually untested opinion
@evilvoice

I was talking in general terms about general posts on the forum, NOT your particular post - which by the way I haven't even seen!! Calm down. In my view, people post replies on MSFN of what should work without first testing and I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours and I was NOT referring to any posts of yours.
Re: Ryan's dll = if he wants to take it out or leave it in, I can live with it either way. And its his call.