Using commandline instead of update packs to install?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
LazyBoy

Using commandline instead of update packs to install?

Post by LazyBoy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:27 am

Isn't it easier to maintain your software if you install them using commandline rather than integrating them with update packs? If there's a new release you only need to change the commandline and swap the install files. With update packs you need to create a whole new CD.

.....?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:35 am

LOL alot of us have no problems with making a new install disk every month or two.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:11 am

I know. I used to make new install discs frequently, but that was when I only had 2 PCs. Now I have two additional desktops and a notebook and it's too much. :p

Aand I just found out that commandline can install programs and was wondering why isn't anyone doing this instead.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:00 am

Batch files are great for many things. I use all kinds of scripts here and there in my disks. Some apps I like integrated into my disk... others I make batch files that only install certain apps if a certain thing is true. By using the integrator to place your files into your xp disks you can automate the process easily. It just depends on user preference. I like to integrate many things because it looks more professional... and it simplifies many things. If a new version of a program comes out... it is just as easy to replace files in an addon pack as it is to replace them elsewhere.

Personally I make multiboot disks... which means there are many files I have to replace every month in numberous places of my multiboot disk. With the integrator and Win XP PowerPacker... that process is all automated for me.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Denney

Post by Denney » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:26 am

I take different approach... I have one CD for each operating system, optimised with BASIC modifications for all PC. I then have a script that asks for an "Update CD" and that CD has another script that will install various things, ask the user certain questions, that sorta stuff.

The "Update CD" can also be run from within' Windows to update software and stuff. Took MANY MANY hours of my free time and all to many coasters (although VMWare saves a lot, nothing can surpass real-world testing).

I'm thinking about making some scripts for release in the near future.

The thing I'm working on at the moment is mounting a network drive during setup and installing stuff from there. Makes updating EXTREMEMLY easy and efficient.

Fencer128

Post by Fencer128 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 am

I agree about the use of batch files.

Using batch files I've managed to automate the build process so that it only takes ~15 minutes from downloading new update packs to having a new ISO or RIS image ready. It also ensures that fresh source files are used each time.

Cheers,

Andy
RISult a utility to integrate RyanVM Updates and/or BTS DriverPacks into your RIS image.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:27 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:LOL alot of us have no problems with making a new install disk every month or two.
lol.. Kel, I'm sure you, me, and a few other people here are making new install discs a couple times a week.

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Yeah, sometime's i reinstall my PC 7-12 times a day.

Denney

Post by Denney » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm

lol, that's an unhealthy obsession.... lol.

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Nah it's cause i test all my addon's on a real system. Delete addon can be such a pain.