Problem long file names with winnt.exe

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
JSe

Problem long file names with winnt.exe

Post by JSe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:45 pm

If I start an unattended installation with winnt.exe (what I normaly do) there is no support of long file names (longer than 8.3). Even in Textmode setup there are no files longer than 8.3. This is because MS supports a FAT16 as destination drive until the FileSystem="ConvertNTFS" and/or ExtendOemPartition="xxxx" has been done what is after Textmode. All renaming operations from txtsetup.sif will be written internaly to the file $$Rename.txt". This file is processed in early GUIMode.

Unfortunely we have some long names in the \Svpack directory after deploying the updatepacks. And just these files are not handled in the "normal way" with renaming in txtsetup.sif.

The same problem we have with some drivers. See my post here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71011
The solution here is a user specified file $$Rename.txt in $oem$\$1.

So I used this $$Rename.txt and added as a quick&dirty hack the following lines:

Code: Select all

[\$Win_nt$.~ls\I386\svcpack] 
D3DX9_~1.CA_="d3dx9_24_x86.ca_" 
D3DX9_~2.CA_="d3dx9_25_x86.ca_" 
D3DX9_~3.CA_="d3dx9_26_x86.ca_" 
D3DX9_~4.CA_="d3dx9_27_x86.ca_" 
D3PD9S~1.CA_="d3dx9_28_x86.ca_" 
D376CE~1.CA_="d3dx9_29_x86.ca_" 
MSXML3~1.CA_="MSXML3SP7.ca_" 
XINPUT~1.CA_="xinput9_1_0_x86.ca_" 
Although it works as it should, I'm not proud on this solution and would like to hear if somebody else has an idea for a better solution.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 pm

I've got a solution - I'll rename them in the next release :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

JSe

Post by JSe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 pm

I've got a solution - I'll rename them in the next release
That's nice! Although I was in doubt if this will work since the names of the *.cat-files are also in the *.inf-files. But I verified that the signature of the signed files will be valid even if the *.cat-file have been renamed as long as the new names will be used in svcpack.inf.

FYI: this can be verified using sigverif.exe --> Advanced --> Search for files not digitaly signed --> *.* in C:\windows with subfolders --> OK then Start.
After some minutes when the program finished close it (do not study its output window). Much more intresting is the file SIGVERIF.TXT in C:\Windows. It does not only show files that are not signed it also shows all signed files an the *.cat files which delivered the signature.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:50 pm

What a sweet tool. Hiding in plain sight all this time too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Djé

Post by Djé » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 am

There is a $$Rename.txt file also when using winnt32 on a NTFS partition.
I'm usually installing using bartPE from a share.
BartPE is great to have an insight at what is happening on the drive at each step. That's how I noticed this $$Rename.txt file.
But I don't know if there's any problem with svcpack files.
The Enemy is stupid: He beleives us being the enemy.