uxtheme.dll not working on latest update pack...???

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
dcromwell

uxtheme.dll not working on latest update pack...???

Post by dcromwell » Thu May 12, 2005 7:54 am

Let me start off by saying "keep up the good work Ryan!!!" I have been using your packs since they first came out!!

Now, on to my problem...

I just noticed with the latest service pack that I cannot use any themes, except for those approved by Microsoft (like the ones that came with XP, etc.). I used to be able to use any visual style that I wanted because of the patched uxtheme.dll, but now this is not working. For the first time in a while I wanted to use a theme, so I downloaded a theme called Element. I unzipped it and placed it in the usual C:\Windows\Resources\Themes directory and then double-clicke the .msstyles file for it. The window popped up but the style wasn't listed.

I then tried downloading a different version of the uxtheme.dll but windows won't let me overwrite the current one. I looked for the old dllcache directory but I dont see it anywhere... I even did a search for uxtheme and I only found one listing and it was the C:\Windows\System32 one.....

Anyone have any clue on this? I am going to try it on my laptop as it is running the same service pack to see what happens....

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 am

I just checked my laptop and it is doing the same thing. It could be something I have done..... I will check a couple of things...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 12, 2005 8:13 am

dcromwell wrote:Let me start off by saying "keep up the good work Ryan!!!" I have been using your packs since they first came out!!
I then tried downloading a different version of the uxtheme.dll but windows won't let me overwrite the current one.
Makes sense since the file is probably in use by Windows and hence locked. Try doing it from Safe Mode or a command prompt.
I looked for the old dllcache directory but I dont see it anywhere... I even did a search for uxtheme and I only found one listing and it was the C:\Windows\System32 one.....
Hacked DLLs won't be in dllcache because they aren't digitally signed.
dcromwell wrote:I just checked my laptop and it is doing the same thing. It could be something I have done..... I will check a couple of things...
That would be my guess, as you're the first person I know of to report any problems. However, it could be a problem on my end too, as I had to have somebody else patch it for me, and they may have messed it up. Out of curiosity, does anybody know if nLite patches the hotfixed uxtheme.dll properly? If it does, I could always just swipe that one :P

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Thu May 12, 2005 9:28 am

RyanVM wrote:
dcromwell wrote:Let me start off by saying "keep up the good work Ryan!!!" I have been using your packs since they first came out!!
I then tried downloading a different version of the uxtheme.dll but windows won't let me overwrite the current one.
Makes sense since the file is probably in use by Windows and hence locked. Try doing it from Safe Mode or a command prompt.
I looked for the old dllcache directory but I dont see it anywhere... I even did a search for uxtheme and I only found one listing and it was the C:\Windows\System32 one.....
Hacked DLLs won't be in dllcache because they aren't digitally signed.
dcromwell wrote:I just checked my laptop and it is doing the same thing. It could be something I have done..... I will check a couple of things...
That would be my guess, as you're the first person I know of to report any problems. However, it could be a problem on my end too, as I had to have somebody else patch it for me, and they may have messed it up. Out of curiosity, does anybody know if nLite patches the hotfixed uxtheme.dll properly? If it does, I could always just swipe that one :P
I tried renaming uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old from a command prompt. It allowed me to rename it, but was immediately replaced by a backup copy of the "original" dll.... Maybe I need to turn windows file protection off.

About the dllcache directory.... I wasn't saying that I couldn't find the file itself.... I can't find the directory.......

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 am

This is interesting... I found a utility (Universal UXTheme Patcher v1.1) at http://osx.portraitofakite.com and it was able to patch my uxtheme.dll file and I am now able to run visual styles. I may have clicked the wrong buttons during the automated install of XP when it got to the uxtheme.dll point.... I will look into it the next time I format and install XP.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 12, 2005 10:02 am

Wait, so you were using nLite?

sleepnmojo

Post by sleepnmojo » Fri May 13, 2005 3:59 am

RyanVM wrote:However, it could be a problem on my end too, as I had to have somebody else patch it for me, and they may have messed it up.
Your uxtheme looks fine to me. I matches mine, except for a couple bytes. I did mine using a decompiler, and making the same edits that were in the original patched uxtheme.

So I'm just comfirming that we have the same edits.

war59312

Post by war59312 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:06 pm

God Bless America