update pack causes problem with Office Updates!!!

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
alsiladka

update pack causes problem with Office Updates!!!

Post by alsiladka » Tue May 02, 2006 9:31 pm

hello people ,

i had previously raised this issue in the updte pack thread , and Ryan had removed it from there for being off the topic.

I am starting a new thread because i feel certain not that it is the update pack which was causing problems . Mind you , i do not wish to blame the update pack or somthing , just want to raise this issue so that it can be corrected and i can go back to using the update pack.

The problem is , for the past many months , office has always failed to update itself but for one or two times. I have been a regular user of the Update pack , but skipped it one or two times. Now , till now i used to feel that something nlite did was causing the problem!!! But after stopping to use nlite , and using Ryans Integrator , i still faced the problem .

Later , it just struck my mind that maybe it is the update pack whcih is causing the problem!!

So this time , i dud use nlite but i did not use the Update pack . After installing windows , i ran an instance of Autopatcher and patched my system . After installing office 2003 , i noticed that it updated successfully.

it just sort of proved my belief that the Update pack causes problem with Office updates. Except for th e service pack 2 , no other updates can be installed when the update pack has been used.

Can any one verify this problem? Ryan can you have a look into it?

TiQz

Post by TiQz » Tue May 02, 2006 10:26 pm

Ummm... Sorry to burst your bubble... but I am kinna new to the Unattended scene so I wont really call myself a pro.... but for the past (umm 20 times) that I have created a Unattended CD with RyanVM Update Pack, Bashrat The Sneaky DriverPack, Nlite (for Reduction) and various other software I have never had a problem with Office failing to get updates.... It could be possible you are maybe removing something from the windows using Nlite thats possibly causing Office updates to fail... But I definately will stand tall and say IT IS NOT RYANVM UPDATE PACK thats causing your problem.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue May 02, 2006 10:30 pm

I allways install Office 2003 on my computers when I use the UpdatePacks and I never have an issue either. It must be some sort of configuration on your end. I have noticed that Microsoft Update seems to take a long time sometimes to find updates for office... but I think that is just a problem with MU.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue May 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Ok same here I have used Ryans pack since the very early days of its conception and I use office 2003 . I have never had a problem with updating office.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 am

I too update Office 2003 post-install. Never had a problem.

So uh, time for you to start checking and re-checking what you're doing alsiladka ;)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Wed May 03, 2006 3:48 am

I must have checked and rechecked myself umpteen number of times .

and it also has been the case that long ago , when i was not aware of the cause of the problem and removed loads of stuff using nLite without using Ryans pack , office did update successfully. Now a days all i remove is Languages and MSN explorer along with 3 4 small stuffs.

has no one else ever faced this problem?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 am

Try making a disk with only the updatepack using the integrator. Install Office 2k3 then see what happens.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu May 04, 2006 8:41 pm

This was found to be an nLite issue see here ----> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=73725

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu May 04, 2006 9:01 pm

So this thread is answered then...

Thread Locked.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician