Addon packs Integration - What order?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
biatche
I can't read

Addon packs Integration - What order?

Post by biatche » Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 am

In what order should I do it?

this is the order i do it, let me know if its wrong

RVMUpdatePack2.0.5.cab

some program addons
wma, wupdate addon
kel's runtime and uber pack
some hacked files

some cpl
some games
some cursor
some removal
some themes

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 09, 2006 12:33 pm

If I'm not mistaken the order doesn't matter, as the Integrator sorts the addons alphabetically anyways. The Update Pack is always integrated at first.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue May 09, 2006 12:35 pm

UpdatePack is integrated first. The addons are Integrated next.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Siginet, I think that was already clear, he was specifically asking in what order the addons are integrated. This is alphabetically right? Why not just how the user specifies them?

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Tue May 09, 2006 1:35 pm

nah, he said before that addons are installed in the order of how they were made. So the safest way is to integrate some groups of addons that you feel essential first, then go on with the others.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 pm

@ViVa I know you allready stated that... but in your words you said... "If I am not mistaken..." I just was clarifying you were correct. ;)

I've never had a problem with any addons in the order the integrator integrates them.

This topic has been covered in the past. The integrator somewhat integrates them alphatetically. It extracts them alphabetically (basically)... (you can read the order they will be extracted by looking inside the "integrator.ini" file), then it reads the entries files Alphabetically. Any addons that need to be integrated specifically before another should be named accordingly... Or both of the addons should be combined together if it is a requirment. It is up to the pack maker to assure that the addon is made correctly. The integrator has no way of telling what should be integrated first.

Most of the time it shouldn't matter what is integrated first. Unless you have an addon that uses an older file than another addon that replaces it with a newer file. The way the integrator is coded it is semi-smart and only removes certain things in the very end... so the removal addons remove in the end like it should.

If all else fails you can integrate them in different integrations.
Hacked files may or may not be needed in a seperate integration. But most of the time you will be just fine.

My best suggestion is try integrating all of them at once and test in vmware. If there is an issue then re-think what you are doing.

Also be very careful with any removal addons. Don't remove too much. Because when you start removing too much you open a whole new can of worms. I consider the removal addons more of an advanced users only area. Make sure you are ok without the removal stuff first... then venture in that area. Those who use NLite and the integrator should use the integrator first... test the iso... then use nLite after it passes it's test.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Thanks sigi for clearing this up. :)

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Tue May 09, 2006 6:21 pm

thanks for responses...

i've been doing my integration manually... one cab at a time..... often the criteria then packs then hacked then misc programs and so on
Also be very careful with any removal addons. Don't remove too much. Because when you start removing too much you open a whole new can of worms. I consider the removal addons more of an advanced users only area. Make sure you are ok without the removal stuff first... then venture in that area. Those who use NLite and the integrator should use the integrator first... test the iso... then use nLite after it passes it's test.
i don't understand this... how did nlite get involved

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue May 09, 2006 8:47 pm

I was just adding the nLite stuff for those who use nLite. Since we were on the topic of what first and then what next... I thought I would throw that in the mix. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

owikh84

Post by owikh84 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:57 pm

yup. nLite doesn't care about the order. i just randomly put the cabs alltogether

ron2024

Post by ron2024 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:46 pm

@owikh84: I'll have to say I can't agree with your statement. The last install CD I made I had to
integrate/slipstream Kel's UberPack 1st, quit, then restart. No matter witch order I tried, including
just Ryan's Update pack then Kel's UberPack the process would fail. After about twenty different combo
attempts & 4hrs later... If I wanted Kel's UberPack on the CD it had to be done 1st & by itself. Then
Ryan's Update Pack & the rest of the Addon's in a 2nd pass with the tweaks & adjustments. So I'm sayin'
if you run into problems, all the cabs your using could be good, they could be installed along side each
other/on same CD, but the order, that might make a real difference in problem situations. It took probably
twice as long as it should of for me to figure this out, because of the thinking, order doesn't matter &
Ryan's Update Pack should be done 1st. Oh & yes this was done using fresh source files each time & I'd
never try to slipstream a newer Pack on top of a older one.

After making that one, I'll never again believe order doesn't matter.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun May 21, 2006 5:18 pm

That is why the integrator extracts the updatepack first. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician