Modified Ryan's pack 2.0.7 without WGAtray

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:07 pm

Does this still work with the 2.0.7a Update Pack, thought I'd ask to make sure?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:10 pm

It should be OK because I told him to base his 2.0.7 version around WGA version 1.5.540.0 to begin with.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

IG_Chris

Post by IG_Chris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:52 pm

Am I correct in assuming that this removes all of the features of WGA that anyone could find annoying from the update pack? No pop-ups or notifications or anything of the sort? Will it even try to "validate" that your windows is "genuine" in the first place?
Either way, this is very cool, keep up the great work!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:07 pm

No, it doesn't contain the hacked WGA DLL (as my board policy is that posting it isn't allowed). Your computer must still be legit when using this to be able to use Microsoft Update or their download center.

IG_Chris

Post by IG_Chris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:30 pm

But it does get rid of the pop-ups, and MS's ability to perform check-ups?
And will automatic updates still work? Or will it only work partially or not at all? This is how I get all my updates (I just don't have it DL them automatically anymore since MS came out with their zany lying WGA). If not, I guess I could just disable manually after installation, but having everything ready to go right away is so much nicer (and really the point of the update packs :) ).
Thanks for the help.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:31 pm

It'll work as if you installed the WGA Tool but not WGA Notifications.

IG_Chris

Post by IG_Chris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:38 pm

What do each of those (WGA Tool and WGA Notifications) do, specifically in the case where it thinks you have a non-genuine windows?
Sorry to bother with so many questions, but last time I downloaded WGA, I just re-formatted later that day anyway (for a unrelated reason) so I didn't really get to see it's side effects that much, other than the pop-up.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:40 pm

WGA Tool is what gives you access to MU and the Microsoft Download Center. WGA Notifications is the one which pops up if you're not legit and bugs you about it. WGA Notifications includes WGA Tool as well.

IG_Chris

Post by IG_Chris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:43 pm

Alright that pretty much explains it. One last question though, does WGA Tool in any way effect automatic updates?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:04 pm

I think you can still get critical updates, but that's it (don't quote me on that, though)

IG_Chris

Post by IG_Chris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:21 pm

Alright, thanks for the info (and great job on the latest Update Pack!).

Deusex

Post by Deusex » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:23 pm

I cannot download from rapidshare, i wait over an hour for it and it doesnt work, its driving me crazy. Does anybody have a mirror i can download this from?

To wiz011,
Could you put in here or send to me the exact steps on how to do it manually so i can understand how its done. I presume it was the same steps for 206 and 207 versions. I would like to make my own patches in the future and help out.

To RyanVM,
Thanks for all your hard work, but no thanks for turning me into a update addict. I was a normal person before i found your site. :)
Last edited by Deusex on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 pm

lol, I aim to please. And I'll try to throw up a mirror of the file quick.

EDIT: http://addons.ryanvm.net/wiz011/Ryan207WGArem.exe

MaxL

Post by MaxL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:32 am

When I use this tool I get a puzzling message about not being able to delete the KB905474.ca_ file after using expand to uncab the RVMUpdatePack2.0.7.cab file. The message says access is denied.

I can manually delete the file and use cabarc to recab everything and integrate it with Nlite. The first time I tried this I got an error message during the unattended install about 7-zip not finding a file. I clicked OK and the install worked (under VMware) with no sign of WGATray.

I'm trying a more controlled test to see if I can reproduce the 7-zip file not found message during the install. Maybe I should leave the KB905474.ca_ in?

Max L.

wiz011

Post by wiz011 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:42 am

Deusex wrote: Could you put in here or send to me the exact steps on how to do it manually so i can understand how its done. I presume it was the same steps for 206 and 207 versions.
Not exactly the same because in 2.0.6 version legitcheckcontrol.dll wasn't replaced.

RVMUpPck.ini and entries.ini are changed, KB905474.ca_, WgaLogon.dl_ and WgaTray.ex_ are removed + LgtCkCtl.dl_ updated. You should copy somewhere those files, update the pack and then compare updated RVMUpPck.ini and entries.ini with originals, in order to see exact changes.

For calculate checksum is used modifipe, TotalCommander for unpacking and CompressionBin for packing files.
MaxL wrote:Maybe I should leave the KB905474.ca_ in?
No, you should not. Some is wrong on your machine, maybe your download is corrupted or maybe the files weren't unpacked correctly (here were reported several issues with some versions of 7-zip). Access denied message should not occur and I'm not able to reproduce your problem on my machine.

Are you downloaded the newest Ryan's 2.0.7a pack or 2.0.7? Very probably the updater don't work correctly with 2.0.7a. I'll make tests and perhaps the new 2.0.7a compatible release should be published.

yossicl

Post by yossicl » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:56 am

Ryan207WGArem.exe doesn't work with 2.0.7a.

buletov

Post by buletov » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:26 am

You've could, like, post that 2 hours earlier and save my time... :/
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 pm

That would be coorect.

Cheers
MC
The Man from Aus

Deusex

Post by Deusex » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks wiz011, I managed to make the changes to 2.07a myself from your small tutorial. I will integrate next to see if it works.

Thanks for putting up the link RyanVM.

MaxL

Post by MaxL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:15 pm

OK, I think I figured it out. I used this command to uncab:

Code: Select all

expand RMVUpdatePack2.0.7.cab * -F:*
This extracts all the files but does not preserve the directory structure so KB905474.ca_ wasn't found in the svcpack subdirectory in the archive.

Better to use 7-zip to uncab and cabarc via the CabinetBuilder to recab. Not sure why I don't end up with a file exactly the same size as the original if I uncab and recab without changing anything but I assume it has something to do with signing the archive?
MaxL wrote:Maybe I should leave the KB905474.ca_ in?
wiz011 wrote:No, you should not. Some is wrong on your machine, maybe your download is corrupted or maybe the files weren't unpacked correctly (here were reported several issues with some versions of 7-zip). Access denied message should not occur and I'm not able to reproduce your problem on my machine.

Are you downloaded the newest Ryan's 2.0.7a pack or 2.0.7? Very probably the updater don't work correctly with 2.0.7a. I'll make tests and perhaps the new 2.0.7a compatible release should be published.
Now that I am aware of the 2.0.7a release I'll try and manually modify it while leaving in the KB905474 registry settings.

Max L.

Kilowog

Post by Kilowog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:28 am

Deusex wrote:Thanks wiz011, I managed to make the changes to 2.07a myself from your small tutorial. I will integrate next to see if it works.
Same here, which is good because my current XP install is on it's last legs lol. I don't know much about update packs and how they work, but following the advice above I used Beyond Compare to help me with finding the differences in 2.0.7 patched vs unpatched, and TUGzip for all CAB work. Hopefully I did everything correctly. If not then I guess we'll have to wait for a 2.0.7a patch from wiz011 or someone else willing to take up task. I'm one of those folks that take security very seriously, and just can't bring myself to trust the WGA notify tool. How MS went about everything was just too shady for me, as is the tools behaviour.

I also want to take this moment to say thanks to everyone for their work on this every month, and especially Ryan. I take care of three PC's and the update pack really is a huge time saver whenever I need to format and reinstall Windows, which seems to be way too often these days. Hopefully I won't encounter the black screen issue, which I think I did on the first go several days ago (v2.0.6). Luckily I was able to restore things from a partition backup. Now to try again.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:47 pm

Begrudgingly, Microsoft responds to those of us who actually complained to them about this nonsensical, patently non-critical, decidedly beta-version update--instructions straight from the horse's mouth on how to hack their own crap, finally (and, yes, I am vindicated repeatedly in my stance--Microsoft disagrees with itself internally on this issue, which makes it even more ridiculous that it was released as an official critical update--my legit clients, as well as myself and friends and family, have continued to have problems with this poorly conceived tool with which we were all made guinea pigs):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

For chrissakes, people, please complain about this kind of crap to Microsoft: eventually, with hope, we can get this removed entirely, and limited to Recommended status AT LEAST (imho it should be in the Beta section of WU, which you can optionally turn on in settings...!). Do you see what public outcry has accomplished so far? Microsoft may eventually release their own patch to undo this, so we don't have to manually edit--more along the lines of the firewall leaktester tool... Anyone can easily see this does next to nothing for sinking the pirate ships out there--it only screws around with the rest of us...

Continue to dream the dream...

GhaladReam

Post by GhaladReam » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:06 pm

This is my first post on these forums. I've been a user of RyanVM's update pack for quite some time now, just never posted on the forums.

My question is this:

Does the KB905474 removal tool also remove it from windows update? Or will having automatic updates enabled re-download it?

Thanks

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:07 pm

No, it will appear on Windows Update and/or get delivered to you via Automatic Updates.

However, there seems to be a way to prevent that from happening:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2387

I think it can be used with $OEM$ folders or even via Winnt.sif / Dosnet.inf but I personally haven't tried it to verify that it works.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:23 pm

It does work, but capturing DataStore.edb can be tricky. The only reliable way to get a working EDB file is to stop the Automatic Updates service before trying to copy the file out of %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore. Unlocker won't work; you must run SERVICES.MSC to stop the service.

Once you've successfully copied the file, rename it as DataStor.edb, compress it, and copy it to I386 (overwriting Ryan's file). The RVMUP already includes the proper entries to integrate your file, but make sure you do it after integrating the Update Pack.

The only strange thing I've noticed is that the file I capture is always three times as large as Ryan's. Not sure why, but it still works.

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:38 am

Dear wiz011,
When you are going to release WGA Removal for 2.0.7a. waiting badly for it

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:49 am

You can also check This Post. At the current moment, the addon does not yet work if it is being integrated at the SAME time as the update pack, so either run another integrator session to integrate it, or let the integrator finish it's integration of the update pack and THEN tell it to integrate this addon.

Also, this addon only removes the WGA Notify, and reverts back to using WGA Tools (where WGA Tools is just the legitcheckcontrol.dll). The version in 2.0.7a is already 1.5.0540.0 (whereas 2.0.7 was 1.5.0532.2), and the necessary registry changes are made.

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:08 am

Thanks for Immediate Response Sir,

jdub

Post by jdub » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Updates? I prefer this method to the addon one.