[RESOLVED] Update pack causes blackscreen after splashscreen

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
coukou

[RESOLVED] Update pack causes blackscreen after splashscreen

Post by coukou » Tue May 16, 2006 11:08 am

Hi,

Yesterday evening i installed my latest Unattended DVD (WinXP Pro + appz by WPI)... Everything went FINE!

At the installation end cleanup.cmd file is launched

Code: Select all

cmdow @ /HID
shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute..."
net user aspnet /delete
and it reboot the machine. Everything went FINE. I could use normally my machine, i exit normally ("Start" then "Exit") and then switched OFF... Everything went FINE!

Today, I switched ON my computer and start windows... I got the WinXP logo as normally, then i got a black screen (the hard drive become quiet -no head access).

I boot in "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode" OK!
I boot "normalyy", again I got the WinXP logo as normally, then a black screen (the hard drive become quiet -no head access).

I reburned that unattended DVD, tested it again... same problem: black screen after WinXP logo displayed.

As i kept my precedent unattend DVD, i installed it, and this time No more balck screen.

The only difference betwwen the precedent and last DVD's is Hotfixes:
Precedent DVD Hotfixes:
RVMUpdatePack2.0.4.cab
RVMAddonsWMP10_2.2.cab
Kel_CProcess_addon_v1.CAB
Kel_modifyPE_addon_v1.CAB
Kel_Bootvis_Addon_v1.cab
Kel_CDImageGUI_addon_v1.cab
Kel_directx_addon_v1.CAB
Kels_Uber_Addon_v6.7.CAB
Kels_MemTest_addon_v1.cab
Kel_Updates_addon_v1.CAB
Kel_VirtualCD_addon_v1.CAB
RogueSpearAddonsDVDIdentifier_4.3.0.cab
RogueSpearAddonsFFDShow20050803.cab
RogueSpearAddonsQuickTimeAlternative_1.69.cab
RogueSpearAddonsRealAlternative_1.48.cab
Xable_StartupCPL-v1.0_addon.cab
ProgramAddonsXnView_1.82.cab
Boooggy_CCleanerAddon1.28.277.cab
Accessories_Siginet_DVDFab_v2970_Addon.cab
ProgramAddonsISORecorder_2RC1.cab

Last DVD Hotfixes:
[New version] [Added]
RVMUpdatePack2.0.5.cab
RVMAddonsWMP10_2.4.cab

Kel_CProcess_addon_v1.CAB
Kel_modifyPE_addon_v1.CAB
Kels_Bootvis_addon_v1.1.36.0.cab
Kels_CDImageGUI_addon_Beta3.CAB
Kels_DirectX_CPL_addon_v9.0c.CAB
Kels_Uber_Addon_v7.3.1.CAB
Kels_MemTest_addon_v1.cab
Kels_Updates_addon_v1.21.CAB
Kels_VirtualCD_addon_v2.1.CAB

Kels_MSConfig_addon_v1.CAB
Kels_CDImageGUI_CPL_addon_vBeta3.cab

RogueSpearAddonsDVDIdentifier_4.3.0.cab
RogueSpearAddonsFFDShow20050803.cab
RogueSpearAddonsQuickTimeAlternative_1.69.cab
RogueSpearAddonsRealAlternative_1.48.cab
RogueSpearAddonsiTunes_6.0.4.2.cab
Xable_StartupCPL-v1.0_addon.cab
Boooggy_CCleanerAddon1.28.277.cab
ProgramAddonsISORecorder_2RC1.cab
MrsP_DISKdata_Addon_v2.2.cab
MrsP_Rename_Master_Addon_v2.7.3.cab
MrsP_XnView_Complete_Addon_v1.82.4.cab
odyn1982_AudioUtilities_Addon_v1.2.cab
Foxy_DVDShrink_3.2.0.15_Addon_v1.1.cab

Moreover, i noticed in that last DVD, that the Ttfextnt.dll (280K) v2.1.0.0 03/05/09 from Microsoft Corp is added in the head-tree.
What hotfixe add this file?

Anyone can tell me what hotfixes (new version or added) cause my black screen after the WinXP logo display?

Regards
coucou

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 16, 2006 2:06 pm

I've run into that problem before, but I'm not completely certain how to avoid it yet. It's obviously a limited situation since you and I are the only two people to ever see it as far as I know.

All I can recommend for now is to try cutting back on the addons and go step by step. If you do happen to get more information, I'd love to know.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

coukou

Post by coukou » Thu May 18, 2006 10:43 am

Hi Ryan,

Check yr PM, i replayed to yours.

coucou

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu May 18, 2006 1:01 pm

If the issue is figured out it would be good to post it in here so others are aware. If it is a problem with an addon then it should be noted in that addons thread.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 18, 2006 1:02 pm

If we can figure out the problem, I'll probably fix it in the Update Pack if possible.

coukou

Post by coukou » Thu May 18, 2006 6:17 pm

Here the issue,

As far i'm concerned, it's NOT addon problem fianlly. It's Symantec problem.

It took me almost the week to many times building, burning and installing my Unatended DVD (include >150 appz).

Finally here the conclusion:
By installing Symantec Client Security Corporate 3.1
I could reboot as much i want without any problem.
Since I switched OFF then Switched ON my computer, I got the WinXP logo as normally, then a black screen (the hard drive become quiet -no head access). :cry: :twisted: :evil:
Nota: Symantec Client Security Corporate 3.1 is a combination of:
Antivirus Corporate 10.1.0.394 including VDefHub.zip (Virus Definition file) dated May 15 2006
and Firewall Client 8.7.0.58

To get ride from the black screen I installed Symantec Client Security Corporate 3.0.
I could reboot swich OFF and ON as much i want... everything working just FINE :D :D :D
Nota: Symantec Client Security Corporate 3.0 is a combination of:
Antivirus Corporate 10.0.2.2000 including VDefHub.zip (Virus Definition file) dated Feb 10 2006)
and Firewall Client 8.6.080

Regards
coucou

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Problem is, I see it with SAV 10.0.2.2020 :(

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 am

hello all. i am new to this forum. i have been visiting for over a year now, yet did not join. anyway i have had the same problem with symantec client security. versions 3.1 and 3.02. i am about to try ryan's 2.05 pack to see if that works. besides that RYAN u are royalty in my eyes. Thank you kind sir for your advancmensts in helping us create personal xp cds. :D

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Fri May 19, 2006 1:43 am

SAV 10.0.2.2020 here and I have seen it as well...

Although I had one test install that it happened as soon as I installed the LEMod for XPize...and it went away after a system restore
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Fri May 19, 2006 5:44 am

I've also had this problem, but SCS 3.1 is NOT the culprit. In my case it was the dreaded MS WGA utility. I verified this with CDs built going back from Ryan's 2.0.6, 2.0.5, and 2.0.2 packs. With only XP home SP2 (and pack 2.0.6 only), once you try to activate XP (Auto-update downloads WGA), cold boot gets the exact same symptoms as above (with NO OTHER APPS INSTALLED).

I had used the same OEM XP home disc to install on my tower PC and Laptop (separate LEGAL license keys used) and this problem affects BOTH PCs. I used the dumb restore CDs to setup my laptop (XP SP1a) and the previously mentioned CD (with Ryan's 2.0.6 pack) on my tower and have ZERO problems once both were activated.
During my phone call to MS (activation failed... insert 300 digit code...) they informed me that by their records, my copy of XP had been used on more than one PC (interesting that WGA is calling back to mama, and I've never loaned my CD to anybody else).

Again, I used a single OEM XP disc on both PCs with two different LEGAL license keys results in failed boot on both PCs (symptoms above).

Using the SAME custom CD on the tower PC only and using the original restore CDs on the laptop...equals...success.

I have a feeling that WGA either talks back and forth to MS to verify license key to CD code, or checks your internal network for PCs running the same CD code (and/or license key).

I hope this adds more info to chew on.
(edit, both PCs run SCS 3.1 and are working perfectly for past two weeks)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri May 19, 2006 8:05 am

My experience with this bug is that many different things can trigger it. I've seen it after running PerfectDisk on a drive (see that long thread in General Discussion) and after installing a hotfix.

It's interesting that you've seen it with 2.0.2, mr_smartepants, because that's actually the version I'm running on my system (yeah, it's been awhile since I've formatted). Interesting thing is that I'm still running SAV 10.0.1.1007 on it. I'm nervous to upgrade that now :lol:

Thank you guys for seeming to at least narrow down the culprit. It'll make finding the responsible hotfix much easier on my end.

coukou

Post by coukou » Fri May 19, 2006 10:31 am

Hi all,

I rebuilded again an Unattended DVD with this time Symantec Client Security Corporate 3.0 (Antivirus Corporate 10.0.2.2000 and Firewall Client 8.6.080), installed it... everything went smoothly :D

I updated the virus definitions as normaly, made some tweaks...
Just 2 thing: maybe it will give a wire to:
1) On my System/Hardware/Device Manager/System Devices I got PCI Device with :?: I had to reinstall hdaudbus.sys (included in KB83522).

2) On my System/Hardware/Device Manager/Modems I got PCI Simple Communication controller with :?:. I was curious to know what driver he looking for... he looks for SymRedir. inf whic is a symantec file! (not corresponding to any modem driver). I erased it and install the correct modem driver.
Reboot, Switch OFF & ON everything works just fine :D

I went to microsoft testing a download for SyncToy PowerToy which asking for WGA. I accept installing WGA and had a download success.
Again, Reboot, Switch OFF & ON everything works just fine :D :D :D

BTW: I'm using Official Win XP Pro VLM SP2 Pre Integrated

Regards
coucou

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Fri May 19, 2006 10:50 am

NO SAV and I get it. I've been getting it for as long as I can remember. I use classic login.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri May 19, 2006 1:14 pm

keytotime - any idea when you first saw it? I'd really love to nail down a regression window.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 am

well i tried going back to SCS 3 and same problem with ryan's pack 2.0.5, 2.0.4 and 2.0.2.. so then i tried removing addons. so far i have removed dotnet 2 and still same problem. i have always used SCS and never had this problem. the pc i am on now i used ryan's 2.0.1 and SCS 3.02 and had zero problems. if i am correct on 2.0.1 wga was not intergrated. so if he removed wga and fixed it thats next. i have removed wga, how do i repack it ryan's pack? i am new to making my own cabs. i have the nifty tools that have come out. nlite plugin creator, nlite addon maker. i am not sure what switch i would use to put it back as cab file. /s /v"/qn REBOOT=Suppress" . thanks

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat May 20, 2006 9:07 am

If it's WGA-related, it's clearly got to be an interaction with some other fix as well. Otherwise, the world over would be having problems :P

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sat May 20, 2006 1:18 pm

well i tried it with ryan's 2.0.6 and nothing else and black screen. going to try ryan's 2.0.1 only and then try SCS.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat May 20, 2006 2:39 pm

If anyone is really serious about trying to figure out the regression range, I'm more than happy to provide any assistance I can to help out.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sat May 20, 2006 5:36 pm

well black screen with ryan's 2.0.1 and SCS 3.1. now i know it is not wga. no wga in 2.0.1. so i am sure ryan's pack and SCS can work fine, they have before. narrowing it down to which addon may take awhile.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sat May 20, 2006 7:02 pm

so i am thinking that ryan's pack has nothing to do with it. possibly addon's or thing that were removed during intergration of ryan's pack and addon's.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat May 20, 2006 7:39 pm

For the sake of being part of the scientific "control group," I haven't encountered the problem.

PC 1: Asus A8N-SLI Premium --install date: late Feb '06
  • RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.3
  • RyanVM WMP10 Addon v2.2
  • RyanVM Addons v1.6.0
  • Kels True Royale Addon v4.3
  • RyanVM .NET 1.1 switchless installer
PC 2: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum --install date: late Dec '05
  • RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.1
  • boooggy's WMP10 Addon (version unknown, circa Dec '05)
  • RyanVM Addons (version unknown, circa Dec '05)
  • Kels True Royale Addon v4.3
  • RogueSpear's .NET 2.0 switchless installer
Bâshrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks were used with both installations. Again versions unknown, but most recent up to install date. :)

Both systems are used daily, but are rarely restarted. Maybe three reboots each per month without problems.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sat May 20, 2006 9:55 pm

okay i did a vmware install with a custom xp cd from 2.28.06. a stable nlite build. installed SCS 3.1 all is good. then i do windows updates get the wga notifcation. then bam black screen. i remove it them bam works fine. WTF... okay so it is a combination windows shite updates. more than just WGA crap.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sat May 20, 2006 10:25 pm

I've been pretty much getting my ass kicked with this issue. It first started on me when I went to SAV 10.1, but after dozens (yes dozens) of sources, I can't nail down what triggers this at all. What's interesting is that I always chain together a series of RunOnceEx scripts. So a few scripts run, trigger a reboot, a few more run, trigger a final reboot, and then the computer autologons so that I can finish a few last things. It's after this that I get the black screen. So I'm getting one single solid login to the point of having a Start Menu. After that I'm done. There seems to be something about the computer fully booting.. completely.. that is triggering the problem for me.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 21, 2006 1:12 am

This is some weird stuff going on. And again, my first trigger of the problem was a fricken disk defragmentation. But yeah, I've triggered it with anything from that to a hotfix install to other random stuff.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun May 21, 2006 1:26 am

Well I've been doing more and yet more tests. As things are right now, I have an image properly installing and not giving me the black screen of death (lol). The install includes PerfectDisk and SAV 10.1. The trick I pulled on this install was to simply eliminate the registry entries for WGA Notification in the WinLogon\Notify key.

Tommorow morning I'm going to try the exact same install but with those entries intact. Through process of elimination, I've tried damn near everything else. At this point I can only theorize that when WGA Notify runs, finds the install is legit, and then writes something somewhere, it's conflicting with something else. Could I say "something" more times in one post?

Off to bed for me.. this will be my first night going to sleep before 3am in a week because of this friggin problem.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 21, 2006 8:15 am

My bet is you'll be able to find another trigger since I've been seeing this since before WGA notification was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 21, 2006 8:17 am

Also, we should probably try boooggy's and Xable's XPSP2 packs as well just to completely verify that this is a problem unique to mine. Later today I'll probably open up downloads for 2.0 to 2.0.5 to see if we can find a regression range there.

Heck I can make some of the old 1.x versions available if need be.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun May 21, 2006 10:35 am

Yea I did end up having it with 2.0.5, but I assumed it was a problem on my end and I found the fix relatively quickly. If I used NTFS compression on any directories, I got the black screen. If I didn't use it, everything was fine :shock: If it was a RIS installation, it didn't matter either way, I never had a problem, this was only for CD/DVD installs.

I did nail it down pretty definitively that the NTFS compression would kill it because I must have done about 15 installs just testing that one issue. I've never seen anything so completely random before.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sun May 21, 2006 2:38 pm

well i went back as far as 2.0.1 ryan's. installed Symantec Client Security 3.1 rebooted and fine. put the wga notifications and fine. then updated a wireless card driver then black screen. rebooted into safemode, disabled SCS from starting boots fine. removed SCS 3.1 boots fine. then i tried SCS 3.02 black screen. next i removed wga and then boots fine. it seems that with SCS 3.1 more conflicts than with SCS 3.02.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sun May 21, 2006 5:44 pm

what i would like to know is what is everyone using to make there xp cds?
i mainly use n-lite somtimes ryan's integrator.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 21, 2006 6:56 pm

I use only the integrator

techtype

Post by techtype » Sun May 21, 2006 7:26 pm

Well, if coucou on MSFN is the same as coukou on here, you can see he has a long history of complaining about this. Oh and he uses nlite.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun May 21, 2006 7:49 pm

I use nLite mainly to strip away some things like Messenger, WordPad, extra keyboard layouts and languages.. nothing too exotic. But I've ditched it completely until I get this problem resolved. Too many variables in the mix otherwise.

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sun May 21, 2006 10:56 pm

well at least we know we are getting this randomly with various integrators. now finding out whcich update does not like SCS and any other program. WGA notification causes black screen for sure. yet there are other updates that also do this. ????????

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 pm

oops double post, my bad. :oops:
Last edited by creep in the cellar on Mon May 22, 2006 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon May 22, 2006 2:29 am

One item that might be critical to this investigation (that no one has brought up yet) is the source CD everyone is using to build their custom CDs.
In future posts, please answer the following questions:
1) Source WinXP CD (Single-user OEM, VLK, Retail, unknown/kazaa, etc.)
2) Product activation key (hacked, legitimate, borrowed), leave blank if concerned about privacy.
3) Ryan's packs involved (2.0.5, 2.0.2, etc.)
4) Integrators used (nlite v1.0RC8, Ryans integrator 1.2.2)
5) Applications known to trigger the error (verifiable, reproducable)

In my case, the same custom CD that caused the fault on both my tower and laptop has zero issues (still working fine!) when ONLY installed on my tower. When installed on both tower and laptop, both would work fine until connected to the intranet/internet which would trigger the fault (WGA cross check?).
1) WinXP source: WinXP Home OEM single-user CD with SP1
2) Product activation key: two legitimate keys (tower/laptop)
3) Ryan's packs involved (2.0.2a, 2.0.5, 2.0.6)
4) nLite 1.0RC7 & RC8 (I know! I know! Read the forum FAQ)
5) WinXP SP2, DotNet 1.1 & 2, ATI Catalyst 6.4 thru 5.11, NIC drivers (3com OEM)

I'm still convinced that this is an issue with M$ WGA/WPA cross-checking some file in the windows directory either online with M$ and/or other machines on your network. What other apps trigger the fault is still a mystery though.

I'm sure Ryan has some other more relevent debugging questions. Maybe start a new thread as a poll?

creep in the cellar

Post by creep in the cellar » Mon May 22, 2006 6:25 am

well i run my own business so i use all corparate since it is much less hassle when reimaging a machine.
yet i am my own network admin. my machines range from as follows.
1. windows xp vlk on 5 machines
2. legit VLK for 5 machines
3. amd 2700 and amd 3200 the main machines that are having problems with black screen. the other 3 xp machines are untouched VLK. as for the rest still run windows 2000, so they don't apply.
4. ryan's packs range from 2.00 to 2.0.2a with no issues until trying 2.0.6. then going back to narrow down problems. if the problems are with ryan's pack.
5. nlite 1.0rc4 - 1.0rc8 used on macchines. along with ryan's integrator back to version 1.
6. WGA notification, symantec client security 3.02 - 3.1 and linksys wireless drivers updated from microsoft updates. linksys WMP54G wireless card.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Mon May 22, 2006 7:03 am

The system I was talking about that gave these symptoms has been running fine after doing system restore.

Can anyone try installing XPize (NON Integrated way) then the Luna Blue mod and then the LE Mod and monitor the changes?

This might narrow it down.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

Åmbrosius

Post by Åmbrosius » Mon May 22, 2006 7:07 am

Well, I'm not entirely sure I'm having the same problem, but it sounds similar enough, feel free to kick me to a new thread if not. On my latest build after the boot screen, my monitor goes black for maybe 2 minutes, then the logon screen pops up 'loading settings' for almost five minutes before the welcome screen appears. Unfortunately, and most annoyingly, it wasn't, and isn't, a problem that's evident when tested on VMWare, only on a live install. I've tried about nine differant builds so far, and have decided that it's definately not an addon, as I excluded all of them, nor any of my registry settings, new drivers etc.
I kinda did things backwards, in the hopes I'd find it fairly soon, without loosing too much of my install procedure, but apparently not. I'm trying it now with only the Update Pack 2.0.6, through the RVM Integrator, without touching it with NLite, BTS or any of my RunonceEx/cmds or misc software.
At first I did think it was WGA, as when I tried a Verbose logon, it sat on loading WGALogon.dll for the whole five minutes before the welcome screen came on. But I ruthlessly murdered the .dll in question without any change in behaviour, except that it sat on the next .dll instead (Can't remember the name, at work atm, sorry.) I tried a build without the WGA addon (Not entirely sure why I always add that, if it's in the UpdatePAck, but never had a problem before.) and I also tried the WGA removal addon, without much luck. So I doubt if it's WGA. But then I've been wrong before, though I've also never had a problem with WGA ever, apart from the fact I seem to be missing the point of it, but hey.
I never tried 2.0.5, I think my last build was 2.0.4, 2.0.3 at the earliest, and haven't seen this problem before (I'll try find my last disc to confirm the version.) Unfortunately I never downloaded 2.0.5 as I waited and downloaded 2.0.6 instead, so I can't help much on the timeline. My bad. :(
When I get home, in an hour or two, my latest simplified build will have installed (In theory) so I'll recheck it then. Here's hoping.
For the record, my source is an official SP2 VLK, legitimate corporate key, and it's supposedly running on a P4c 3GHz with 2GB of PC2400 RAM, so I'm definately not used to waiting that long for it to start-up.
Most annoying really.
Anyway, I'm off for most of the rest of the week, and I've got nothing better to do, so I'll be doing nothing but making new discs until something works (Which is quite sad really). Anyway, please shout if you want me to try something, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It'll just take a while since I have to reinstall everything each and every time I try a disc, since VMWare doesn't have the problem.
I mean really, any self respecting bug should have the decency to show up on VMWare first, damned inconsiderate if you ask me. Grrr.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon May 22, 2006 8:11 am

@Åmbrosius, are you running any third party firewall software? Or have a huge HOST file?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 am

That sounds like a different issue, since you are eventually getting a login screen.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon May 22, 2006 8:22 am

I noticed that there is one by request only hotfix (don't have it's number handy) that deals specifically with NTFS compression. When I first got this problem, during 2.0.5, I nailed it down to one of my scripts that compresses certain not-so-frequently-used directories. It took me a few days, but through process of elimination I found that if I didn't do any compressing, everything was just fine. If I did, as sure as the sun rises and falls each day, I got this black screen. And that's still the case now.

I'm just wondering if an update pack without any non-public hotfixes might be in order. After the last problem with .msi files I'm starting to get a little gunshy with Microsoft's by request only stuff.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 8:24 am

Trust me, that thought has been going through my mind a lot too lately.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 8:34 am

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 am

Yea I can't say that that specific hotfix, when using compression is the problem. I remember when beta testing that, I specifically did quite a bit of NTFS compression to make certain there were no ill effects. However, ntfs.sys seems like it's a pretty critical file. And it would interact with any and all Symantec products, PerfectDisk, etc. How WGA would necessarily get into the mix, I'm not sure.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 am

RogueSpear - if you really want to test that hypothesis, try replacing ntfs.sys in i386 with the RTM SP2 version and see what happens :)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon May 22, 2006 9:26 am

Yea what the hell.. I've run about 8 dozen tests so far lol.. I'll report back in a couple hours.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 1:01 pm

RogueSpear - you're a knight in shining armor :)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon May 22, 2006 1:03 pm

RyanVM wrote:RogueSpear - you're a knight in shining armor :)
lol, well I have to get this figured out one way or another. The longer this goes on, the more backed up I'm getting.

Whenever I have gotten this "black screen on death" it is always after a FULL logon has been accomplished. I chain together a series of RunOnceEx scripts, with reboots in between. When RunOnceEx is active, the user is "logged on", BUT not yet at the desktop / Start Menu. It is only after that complete logon happens, where the Start Menu is available, that something is triggered making any subsequent reboot unsuccessful. So long as I am rebooting, running RunOnceEx, but not to the Start Menu, all is good. I even did a test last week where I spun off a script from my final RunOnceEx script that waited five minutes and then issued a reboot command. Sure enough it would not boot back up for the second chain of RunOnceEx. One difference I have noticed in the last couple weeks that I never noticed previously was that after RunOnceEX, but before the Start Menu appears, is that a tiny dialog appears in the upper left telling me it's personalizing settings. I don't know if that has anything to do with it and I don't know where it's coming from either, but it's appearance in my installs seems to coincide with the beginnings of these issues for me.

All tests were done using an .ISO image mounted by VMware. The .ISO is configured as such:

Windows XP SP2 > RVM 2.0.6 integrated using Integrator V1.2.3b5d. The WinLogon/Notify reg entries are removed from the Update Pack.
RyanVM's WMP10 V2.5 addon.
A few switchless silent installers thrown in, including SAV 10.1.
.NET 1.1 in svcpack, .NET 2.0 in RunOnceEx.
I'm doing a Method 2 install routine with only one custom driver pack which contains only VMware drivers. No mass storage driver integration.
nLite not used.
XPize not used.
Using my script pack to automated chores.
The install does not join a domain (workgroup mode).
For those familiar with my script pack, I am not performing any offline defrags with PageDefrag, BUT I forgot to disable registry defraging with NTregOpt before starting it all. Hope it doesn't matter..

I disabled, but did not remove, the WGA Notification thingy just to reduce the number of variables in the equation for this very specific test. In order to get a baseline and systematically work through this issue, I conducted the following tests:

Test #1 - NTFS.SYS from update pack, NTFS compression script included. Failed.

Test #2 - NTFS.SYS from update pack, NTFS compression script not included. Failed.

Test #3 - Same as #2 but just for shits and giggles I disabled the registry defrag. Failed.

Test #4 - NTFS.SYS from SP2, NTFS compression script not included, reg defrag disabled. Failed. I forgot to put the compression script back in again for this test, but since this failed I see no reason to test with the script in there.

Looks like I'm going to revert to 2.0.5 for testing and see how that goes.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Here's the test methodology I'd recommend:
Work your way up through the packs I've posted until we can for sure narrow down which pack it broke with. Once we know that, a list of the changed files between that pack and the previous version can be created and we can systematically go through them until we find the culprit.