[RESOLVED] Update pack causes blackscreen after splashscreen

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:24 pm

lol, the plan for me right now is to get a beta build thrown together by the end of the week for my testers to play with. At that point, hopefully I'll get something out by early next week.

I've got a friend's system at my place right now that they want me to wipe, so I'd like to get a working OS install by then :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

outsiders71

Post by outsiders71 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Maybe we should remove the WGA hotfix all together then? I'm not supporting piracy, I just think like many of the other people here that it is more like spyware. I don't want an extra service running on my PC taking away resources.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:40 pm

Right now, I'm considering that to be the last option. However, it comes to that, I will do it.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:15 am

I agree. As much as I think WGA is spyware (in the truest definition of the term), it's going to be a needed patch if only to unlock the WU/MU website for future patches. WGA should stay in. But as often as M$ is updating WGA, I would be careful to only use the most recent version.
Having said that, what Denney said earlier makes a bit of sense. My laptop works perfect if I install SP2, SCS/SAV and update all the hotfixes from WU but if I run Ryan's 2.0.6 pack in conjunction with SCS/SAV it blackscreens.
Maybe M$ changed something in their hotfixes, I don't know.
It might be worth a shot to 're-release' v2.0.6 pack recompiled with or without WGA for testing purposes prior to the 2.0.7 pack release.
Just my $0.02.

Molignar

Post by Molignar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:12 am

First of all Im new to the site, so excuse me if this post is kinda scattered. Now I did use the 2.0.5 update pack, and SCS 3.1.0.394 installs just fine, actually every SCS and SAVCE except the newest one installs fine. Now, when I run the update for SCS to update to 3.1.0.400, or SAVCE 10.1.0.394 to update to 10.1.0.396 as symantec suggests or upgrading to 10.1.0.400, my system hangs for like 5 minutes now every reboot. Windows gets to where I enter my username and pw, I hit enter, and I wait 5 mins, this has been happening since I updated SCS to 3.1.0.400. I've tried installing just SAVCE 10.1.0.401 on its own, and same problem. My roomate uses a different xp pro install than I do and once he upgraded his SAVCE to 10.1.0.400 he encountered the exact same problem. Both systems hang for like 5 minutes on desktop startup, then everything runs fine. Now when we both uninstall and go back to SCS 3.1.0.394 or SAVCE 10.1.0.394, both our systems run fine again. This leads me to believe your update pack is fine and its the new version of SAVCE that is totally messed up. Just my two cents there...

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:05 am

@Molignar, welcome aboard. That's interesting because most of my testing with this issue has been with build 394. It really seemed to work just fine with 10.0 but not any build of 10.1.

outsiders71

Post by outsiders71 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 pm

mr_smartepants wrote:I agree. As much as I think WGA is spyware (in the truest definition of the term), it's going to be a needed patch if only to unlock the WU/MU website for future patches. WGA should stay in. But as often as M$ is updating WGA, I would be careful to only use the most recent version.
Having said that, what Denney said earlier makes a bit of sense. My laptop works perfect if I install SP2, SCS/SAV and update all the hotfixes from WU but if I run Ryan's 2.0.6 pack in conjunction with SCS/SAV it blackscreens.
Maybe M$ changed something in their hotfixes, I don't know.
It might be worth a shot to 're-release' v2.0.6 pack recompiled with or without WGA for testing purposes prior to the 2.0.7 pack release.
Just my $0.02.
But if the problem lies with WGA, why not just not include it? Then after you install your OS, you can download the correct version of WGA. It's not like it's a huge update. Then after you download the update you can go to MU...

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Here's a question: Is this problem only occuring with RVMUpdatePacks? Has anyone confirmed it working with Xable's or boooggy's? If it's not occuring with them, then the issue lies with whatever is different between the two, namely a non-public hotfix that exists in RVM that doesn't in the other two.

This may narrow down wether or not it's truely a WGA issue or not.

(PS: if anyone still needs the MAY WZero, I have a copy as it's now been updated and the JUNE version no longer contains LegitCheckControl.dll, just in case that IS the culprit.)

a06

Post by a06 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:24 pm

Denney wrote:I've tested it with booogy's and Xable's packs and can reproduce this issue easy.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:55 pm

I have never had an issue with booogy's UpdatePack.

I currently use SAV 10.1.0.401 on a lot of computers all installed using Booogy's May UpdatePack.

So I second the thought of a private hotfix being the culprit.

But... I have never had the issue whatsoever.... so whatever I say is pure speculation.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Anybody besides Denney been able to reproduce it with Xable's/boooggy's packs?

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:45 am

I already have an ISO built already using Ryans 2.0.6 pack with WGA removed. I'll try that first while I build a new ISO using Booogys WUZero_UpdatePack.cab I got yesterday.
I'll also try XUpdatePack_v1.0.4.cab if I get a chance this weekend.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:19 am

My thoughs of the WGA hotfix, although fitting perfectly, may not be the only culprit.

I removed the WGA hotfix from all 3 packs (rvm, boooggy, xable) and only Ryan's pack seems OK. Unless Boooggy or Xable integrate the WGA hotfix differently, I can't figure out what's wrong.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:42 pm

I'm getting cautiously optimistic as well that the newer legitcheckcontrol DLL seems to be fixing this as well. I added 1.5.532.2 to UpdatePack 2.0.6 and couldn't get it to black screen with SAV10.1 or PerfectDisk.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:08 pm

RyanVM wrote:I'm getting cautiously optimistic as well that the newer legitcheckcontrol DLL seems to be fixing this as well. I added 1.5.532.2 to UpdatePack 2.0.6 and couldn't get it to black screen with SAV10.1 or PerfectDisk.
I had mentioned using 1.5.532.2 a week or so ago (previous page). RogueSpear said that he had the same problem, regardless of WGA version and whether or not it was hacked.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:34 pm

Looking back on that, it may have been prior to my knowledge of 1.5.532.2. BTW, I'm showing 1.5.532.0 with a date of May 23. Is there a difference between 0 and 2? Further, it's also possible my testing was done with SAV 10.1.394/396 vs. 400/401.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 pm

Yes, there's a difference. I do believe that x532.2 came out on June 6th (my post was after its initial release, but before any of the groups cracked it). It's still KB905474; it's just a newer version.

If you can't get it from MS, let me know; I'll just whip it up real quick and send it to you.

mazinger

Post by mazinger » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Hello. This is my first post here, so I apologize for any mistakes/misunderstandings on my part.

This same problem has been happening to me with Symantec Client Security 3.1, but only when I update the Antivirus definitions included in the package and autoinstall it with RunOnce.cmd during installation. When I use the AV definitions included in the package, no problems autoinstalling it with runonce.cmd and Ryan's update packs. I have taken to update the program and AV definitions via Internet after installation to avoid this problem.

I had always thought that the problem lies with SCS/SAV, not with WGA.

I have been using Ryan's update pack for a few months now. I integrate it with either Ryan's integrator or Nlite, depending on the circumstance.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Regards,

Mazinger

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:05 am

As per my previous post, it was my fault boooggy's and xable's packs were black screening and ryan's wasn't. I didn't remove all the entries properly.

Here's where I'm at:

1. Standard.
2. With WGA (integrated).
3. With hacked WGA.
4. With WGA removed.
5. With updated WGA.

Stock Windows XP: Only number 2 causes blackscreen. Note: WGA was installed with windows update then SAV installed silently. 1, 3, 4 & 5 are fine.

RyanVM's Pack: 1 & 2 cause blackscreens. 5 causes blackscreen occassionaly. 3 & 4 are fine.

Boooggy's Pack: Same as Ryan's.
Xable's Pack: Same as Ryan's.

Edit: The hacked LegitCheckControl.dll doesn't modify any of the bits that are modified by the original and the updated LegitCheckControl.dll. So, the updated LegitCheckControl.dll file must change something that makes the code modified by the hacked file operate differently. This is probably getting over the head of standard users here though so I'll leave it at that.

I'm positive now that it has something to do with the LegitCheckControl.dll file and NOT the program that seems to trigger the black screen as my tests are to varied as to what programs cause it (over 30 different programs I've found can cause this black screen).

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:41 am

Last night I installed the ISO I built using Ryans 2.0.6 pack with all the WGA crap removed. So far everything is working perfectly.
I have all my drivers installed, SCS 3.1.401 (from updated source),and DisKeeper 10.
I have NOT activated XP yet.
I have NOT downloaded anything from WU/MU.
I have NOT enabled Automatic Updates.
This laptop has been running fine since last night w/multiple restarts and cold-boots.
In the interest of troubleshooting. I am going to activate and start downloading WU hotfixes one at a time with a restart in between each one. I'll try to update this post as I go.

Activated OK.
Hit Windows Update.
Install WGA Validation Tool KB892130
Shut down, Cold boot...BlackScreened!

That settles it for me. WGA is devilspawn!
Here's the version numbers for the files I could track down in safe mode:
LegitCheckControl.dll 1.5.530.0
wgacustom.dll 1.5.530.0

Are there any other files you guys want me to look up? I'll leave this laptop in it's current state for the next few hours. I'll try to uninstall the WGA crap after that.
Where did you guys get LegitCheckControl.dll v1.5.532.2? You'd think that M$ would update their INITIAL WGA payload if they knew it had problems.
Arrgghhh!

BTW, this is with a fully legitimate WindowsXP Home w/SP2 OEM disk I just bought from Newegg a few weeks ago.

Update...10 minutes later....It LIVES!
Had it shut down for a few minutes after safe-mode.
Normal boot OK.
I'm going to hold off updating anything else until I hear back from a Mod for direction.
Please advise...over.

Submariner

Post by Submariner » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:35 am

No sure if this is a similiar problem, but thought I would add the info, just in case. I have three computers, all with different versions of Ryan's pack. My main computer is running fine on an old 204 pack, but since upgrading to 206 on my second computer, I get random blue screens (light blue of WinXP theme, not a BSOD) with a frozen mouse in the centre of the screen, no icons on screen or anything else and I need to a hard reset to re-boot. It is like explorer does not start up, but it is random and the first few times I booted this computer it was fine.

Does it matter if you are connected or not, to the internet, while installing a patched WinXP with the WGA update trying to call home? MS say the WGA is beta and maybe it does not expect to be installed from a CD.

Petr

Post by Petr » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 am

mr_smartepants wrote: Where did you guys get LegitCheckControl.dll v1.5.532.2?
AFAIK the latest of KB892130 is
WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe
PRODUCT_VERSION = "1.5.0530.0"
SP_TITLE = "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
(package digitally signed on 17-May-2006)
Contains LegitCheckControl.dll ver. 1.5.0530.0 dated 17-May-2006

WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86.exe
PRODUCT_VERSION = "1.5.0532.2"
SP_TITLE = "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474)"
(package digitally signed on 02-Jun-2006)
Contains LegitCheckControl.dll ver. 1.5.0532.2 dated 02-Jun-2006

Petr

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:35 am

Well, I managed to black screen after power cycling overnight last night :(. I'm going to take out WGA and try again.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:59 am

Just so you know, the version of the hacked LegitCheckControl.dll I use is NOT one that is updated between builds. It's a pre-hacked version that will last until WGA gets to v8 or something like that.

There are MANY differences between it and the current one so I can't narrow down the exact edit that allows this to work.

With the hacked dll I CANNOT GET WINDOWS TO BLACKSCREEN!!! I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of. If anyone has any other ways to blackscreen Windows, let me know so I can test it.

PS. Ryan, if I'm talking about the hacked LegitCheckControl.dll to much, just tell me and I'll stop. I know it's against the rules which is a bitch when it seems to be the pivotal factor in determining where this blackscreen is coming from.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:27 am

RyanVM wrote:Well, I managed to black screen after power cycling overnight last night :(. I'm going to take out WGA and try again.
Is this on your primary system or a test system?
If it's your primary system, you have my sympathies.

At the moment, all is well with the laptop.
I'm going to update to KB905474 and see what happens.

Nope. Dead.
Blackscreened.

I'm trying to resurect it again.
Last edited by mr_smartepants on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:28 am

New Test (can someone else confirm this): Remove WGATray and revert back to the old LegitCheckControl.dll file. Is this problem gone?

I've removed WGA totally and reverted back to the version from v2.0.5 (pre-WGANotifications) and tested that. I cannot get it to blackscreen at all. Over 4 hours of testing (good old auto-logon and the shutdown command :P).

Edit: Integrating a pre-v2.0.5 update pack (without WGANotifications) still causes blackscreens but removing WGANotifications from v2.0.6 and reverting to the old WGA doesn't... Now how THE HELL DOES THAT WORK!?!? God this is annoying.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:41 am

At this point, I'm going to remove WGA entirely and see if that sorts it out. I'm sick of this shit.
mr_smartepants wrote:Is this on your primary system or a test system?
Virtual machine

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:43 am

If people know their computer may never boot again, I'm pretty sure people won't mind if they have to install WGA post-install. lol.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:45 am

I'll update the FAQ too

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:51 am

Just a thought. I had previously been focusing on when SAV was installed - meaning svcpack vs. GPO vs. manually. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place and it's when WGA is installed - UpdatePack vs. AU/MU/WU.

EDIT: In thinking about it more, I think someone made mention of this a couple days ago. I'm too busy to scroll through the thread to give proper props, but this "revelation" was not my own.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:53 am

lol, if I was feeling particularly dirty, I could play this off as a "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN" moment :P

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:57 am

@RougeSpear: SAV still seems to pivot on the "silent install" bit but yes, installing WGA via Windows Update works fine. Having it integrated causes the problems.

@Ryan: lol. Has Microsoft given you and official word on anything yet?

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:58 am

I just got done reading through a new file "WgaNotify.log" in the C:\Windows dir and holy cow there were a load of failures during installation.
Failed to Enable blah....
Unable to verify....blah
FetchSourceURL for....update.inf failed
SetupFindFirstLine......Failed with error: 0xe0000102

The list goes on & on.

If anyone's interested, I'll try to recover and post as a txt file.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Hmm... I don't have that file on any of my drives. Please post it so we can take a look.

Even though Ryan's removing WGA I'm still curious in looking for a fix for this problem.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:07 pm

mr_smartepants wrote: I'm willing to bet a case of beer :D that the root of this problem is M$ WGA and all it's iterations.
I fortold this from page 2 of this saga. I still don't have any takers on the bet. :P

Ryan, next time I'm in Philly, I'm buying you a beer.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Denney wrote:@Ryan: lol. Has Microsoft given you and official word on anything yet?
I haven't asked.
mr_smartepants wrote:Ryan, next time I'm in Philly, I'm buying you a beer.
Deal :) :P

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:26 pm

Ryan, if this is too long or irrelevent, please delete.
BTW, laptop is non-functional now except for safe-mode.

Contents of WGANotify.log

Code: Select all

[WgaNotify.log]
0.190: ================================================================================
0.190: 2006/06/18 16:30:24.966 (local)
0.190: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3c20c3d0758f4aa54988702520cee821\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
0.220: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned: 0x7f 
0.220: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE
0.220: Hotfix started with following command line: -q /Z -ER /ParentInfo:440f9fe354fc4e4c89ebebbc2627e9ab 
2.674: InstallInfCatalogFile: Installing c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\3c20c3d0758f4aa54988702520cee821\update\WgaNotify.cat as _000000_.cat...
2.684: VerifyTargetFileSize: Unable to verify size as Source = NULL for file c:\windows\_000000_.cat
2.764: InstallInfCatalogFile: Installation succeeded.
2.844: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11873, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
2.844: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11905, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
2.844: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2 
2.884: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IC
2.894: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
2.924: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\3c20c3d0758f4aa54988702520cee821\update\update.inf failed
2.924: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallWgaNotify$ 
2.924: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102
2.934: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent
2.934: Starting AnalyzeComponents
2.934: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
2.934: No c:\windows\INF\updtblk.inf file.
2.934: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error: 0xe0000102
2.934: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error: 0xe0000102
15.051: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem2.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem2.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2448&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_83\3&61AAA01&0&F0 
15.913: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C2&SUBSYS_400617C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&E8 
16.343: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem2.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem2.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_400617C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&FB 
16.744: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C4&SUBSYS_400617C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&E9 
21.200: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C7&SUBSYS_400617C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&EA 
21.701: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem0.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem0.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CA&SUBSYS_400617C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F9 
22.051: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem2.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem2.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CC&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F8 
22.732: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_107117C0&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&EF 
23.083: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem3.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem3.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3340&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_21\3&61AAA01&0&00 
23.443: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem3.CAT trusts inf c:\windows\inf\oem3.inf of device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3341&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_21\3&61AAA01&0&08 
26.508: OEM file scan used 23574 ticks
26.508: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 23574 ticks
26.508: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
26.508: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
26.508: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 0 ticks
26.508: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
26.508: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
26.508: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks
26.508: AnalyzeComponents used 23574 ticks
26.508: Downloading 0 files
26.508: bPatchMode = FALSE
26.508: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 23584 ticks
26.518: Num Ticks for invent : 23594
26.518: Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space = 19062611968 bytes
26.518: Drive C: free 18179MB req: 11MB w/uninstall 0MB
26.518: CabinetBuild complete
26.518: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 0
26.518: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.
26.518: FileInUse:: Detection disabled.
27.529: Registering Uninstall Program for -> WgaNotify, WgaNotify , 0x0
27.529: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102
27.589: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\spmsg.dll
28.030: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.
28.060: GetCatVersion:  Failed to retrieve version information from C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\WgaNotify.cat with error 0x57
28.060: GetCatVersion:  Failed to retrieve version information from C:\WINDOWS\WgaNotify.cat with error 0x80092004
28.150: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.210: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll
28.451: Copied file (delayed):  C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET16.tmp
28.451: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.581: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.701: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.751: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.801: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.811: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll
28.951: Copied file (delayed):  C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1B.tmp
28.951: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
28.961: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaLogon.dll
28.991: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
29.001: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
29.041: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
29.051: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\WgaLogon.dll
29.082: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
29.092: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\WgaTray.exe
29.142: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path: c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\3c20c3d0758f4aa54988702520cee821\
29.142: Num Ticks for Copying files : 2624
29.172: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 30	
29.172: Starting process:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.exe /install "Enables Installer to complete its scheduled post-reboot tasks"
29.172: RunInfProcesses:  SpawnProcessAndWaitForItToComplete on "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.exe /install "Enables Installer to complete its scheduled post-reboot tasks"" in [ProcessesToRun] failed:  0x2
29.172:  Return Code = 2 
29.172: Starting process:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\wgatray.exe /b
35.701:  Return Code = 0 
35.701: ---- Old Information In The Registry ------
35.721: Source:C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET16.tmp (1.5.532.2)
35.721: Destination:C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll (1.5.530.0)
35.751: Deleting File: \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET16.tmp ( incoming is a newer file )
35.751: Source:C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1B.tmp (1.5.532.2)
35.751: Destination:C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll (1.5.530.0)
35.751: ---- New Information In The Registry ------
35.751: Source:C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1B.tmp (1.5.532.2)
35.751: Destination:C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll (1.5.530.0)
35.751: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section is empty; nothing to do.
35.751: IsRebootRequiredForFileQueue: At least one file operation was delayed; reboot is required.
                              If none are listed below, check above for delayed deletes.
35.751: IsRebootRequiredForFileQueue: c:\windows\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll was delayed; reboot is required.
35.751: DoInstallation: A reboot is required to complete the installation of one or more files.
35.751: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11789, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
35.751: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11806, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
35.761: DoInstallation: A reboot is required because the ProcessesToRunAfterReboot inf section was non-empty.
35.791: CleanupTrustedInfFile: GetFileAttributes for C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem10.cat failed: 0x2
35.791: RebootNecessary = 1,WizardInput = 1 , DontReboot = 1, ForceRestart = 0

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm confused, so you installed Notifications from MU?

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:54 pm

RyanVM wrote:I'm confused, so you installed Notifications from MU?
Yup.
I updated both KB892130 and KB905474 from MU.

System is still non-functional. Both updates cannot be uninstalled from add/remove CPL in safe mode and system won't boot normally.

I'll leave the system as-is for now in case anyone needs me to check logfiles or sys files.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:02 pm

OK, but you did it on a system where WGA was already integrated? If so, I would expect the problem to still be there.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:41 pm

RyanVM wrote:OK, but you did it on a system where WGA was already integrated? If so, I would expect the problem to still be there.
Negative.
This was on a system using an ISO built from Ryan's 2.0.6 pack WITH WGA* REMOVED prior to integrating. Once XP was installed, WGA Val Tool showed up in WU/MU. There was no trace of WGA* or LegitCheckControl.dll prior to installing the WU/MU updates and no trace of trouble prior to that.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:41 pm

So you're black screening when installing WGA after the fact too? *sigh*

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:45 pm

RyanVM wrote:So you're black screening when installing WGA after the fact too? *sigh*
Sigh
Yeah. It's kinda unavoidable if you want to continue to use WU/MU ain't it?

I'll try Booogy's WUZero pack tomorrow. He's integrated all the "patch Tuesday" stuff. I've been working on this all day. I'm tired. Going to put the kids to bed and hang out with my wife.
I hope you guys have better luck with this.

Off Topic
Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.
/Off Topic

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Yeah, I'm still blackscreening even if I install WGA from MU on an install with no WGA present initially.

Hatefulsorrow

Post by Hatefulsorrow » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:34 pm

If M$ keeps this up their answer to piracy in WGA will end up causing more. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:37 pm

I've reproduced the problem with boooggy's pack now too, I'll be doing Xable's next

techtype

Post by techtype » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Here is a wild idea out of the blue:

add the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service to your install.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:57 pm

@techtype: What are you smoking? :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:09 pm

RyanVM wrote:I've reproduced the problem with boooggy's pack now too, I'll be doing Xable's next
Hmm, I may have spoken too soon. I did a cold boot and it hasn't had a problem since.

Submariner

Post by Submariner » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 am

Do you think WGA only works with the WU version of files and is having trouble with some file or files that are newer than what is found on the WU site?