[RESOLVED] Update pack causes blackscreen after splashscreen

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:22 am

I don't know about the lag, but are you eventually getting into Windows at least?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 am

This sounds like a different problem altogether. What's your network setup like? Do you have any network shares?

Molignar

Post by Molignar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:38 am

Oh yeah, I get into windows just fine everytime. It just takes like 5 minutes and a couple burps. For now I've just gone to using the classic logon, I really dont know why it seems to work but no blackscreening or lag this way.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:56 am

I ran into this issue a few pages back. For me, it was the Symantec firewall trying to negotiate my shared drives/folders. I had to disable the firewall in the end and that stopped the boot delays.

Molignar

Post by Molignar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:06 am

My roomate runs a virgin copy of XP SP2 and updates whenever his windows update notifier pops up. He uses SCS aswell and updated it just like I did. His runs just fine. I cant explain it. I decided to give my original sp2 oem cd a try and just update through windows update. Everything worked fine, no lag, no black screens. I can't explain it. As a side note it blackscreens and lags for me even if I only install sav 10.1.0.394. It's because of this I'm fairly sure its not the symantec package.

Molignar

Post by Molignar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:16 am

Also, I moved the windows swapfile from c to its own partition and this caused huge delays in starting up.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:57 am

@Molignar, this is an entirely different problem than the black screen after the XP splash screen. And more specifically, I think it's a Symantec issue. During the course of troubleshooting this issue I changed when SAV becomes active from "System start" to "Symantec AntiVirus start" and that cleared up a bit of delay for me.

Regarding the swapfile move. I noticed this same problem on my work desktop computer months ago. I never did figure it out, I just moved the swapfile back over to the system drive. It wouldn't surprise me if this was Symantec related as well considering how long they had a HUGE bug with static sized swap files.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:10 am

Molignar, I'm wondering if you've got driver issues. But like others have said, your problem is something entirely different from the problem in this thread, so please start a new one about it.

To those who were seeing the blackscreens described in this thread, has 2.0.7a resolved them for you?

Molignar

Post by Molignar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 am

Sorry about the mix up then folks. Heh I've been reformatting for days, I never would have thought Symantec was my problem. Looks like Im out a whack of cash and a firewall/av....Good times :)

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:25 am

New twist: although I have a nice and successful XP Pro SP2 install going in VMware, I've got a black screen on 2003 Server R2 right after first reboot and splash screen ... into an endless black hole (Stephen Hawking might like it, but I don't): I "hard" reset with VMware and didn't even get the courtesy of splash first--only Hawking's blackness. Interesting, huh? I'll have to pour through all the hotfixes to see if there's a shared fix between what's been found here and what I've used on the 2K3 build (I suppose I need to transplant this into the 2003 section, too--but this is the only mention I could find of the black plague, outside of a new post over at nLiteville: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=77454).

(BTW: the XP build is chock full of adds, tweaks, etc., and was done with Integrator and nLite, yet gave me no problems at all, not a peep--the 2K3 is quite conservative by comparison.)

If anyone's interested in looking over the long list of 2K3 hotfixes (some of which were also for XP too) to see if any coinicde somehow with the hypothesis that KB898713 is the primary culprit, I'll start to compile it for an attachment--but it might take a while for you to sort out a similar culprit. For now, I'm in a pinch, so I'll just have to build one without hotfixes, then install crtical only afterwards, I guess... :(

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:49 am

OK, but that's really off-topic for this thread. Create a thread in the 2k3 forum for your problem.

So can I attest from the total lack of response that 2.0.7a has indeed fixed the blackscreen issue for those who've been experiencing it? I'd really like to close out this thread if possible.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:32 pm

To reiterate, even the riskier Integrator/nLite combo (which I've experimented with on the last couple of builds) with the new 2.07a has been flawless as I've ran it through the ropes for 3 days straight now. So, yes, I would say "yes, problem pretty much solved," from my (even currently very experimental) end (I merely though someone here might have some idea as to why it would happen in 2K3, too, since the "blackscreen" issue has really only been covered here: this seems to be the only place that might have a clue.)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:44 pm

OK, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread because I think it's served its purpose. If anybody still sees this bug with version 2.0.7a or newer, please start a new thread on the topic.