Can you guys give up your secret? KB913433 issue...

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
fly

Can you guys give up your secret? KB913433 issue...

Post by fly » Wed May 17, 2006 9:47 am

How did you manage to integrate KB913433 (the Flash player) into an install? For various reasons, I haven't been able to use the update pack, but may be switching soon.

I was obviously able to pull out the Flash.exe, and then I pulled 2 DLLs out of that, but I have no idea where they go.

Thanks for any help.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 17, 2006 9:58 am

I didn't. If you add 8.0.24 instead, that takes care of everything. I'm pretty sure an addon for that has been made.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 am

This one works without the RyanVM Update Pack. It should work for your network installs.

[Release] IE Flash v8.0.24.0 Update

I made it by pulling FLASH8A.OCX out of an updated existing install, renaming it to FLASH.OCX, and editing SWFLASH.INF to reflect the basic change; basically the same as Ryan did with Flash versions prior to R24.

fly

Post by fly » Wed May 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Okay, so I have the updated Flash.OCX file and swflash.inf. Can I just rename those to FLASH.OC_ and SWFLASH.IN_ in the I386 directory and be done with it?

edit: I mean compress them and toss them back in the I386 directory...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed May 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Compress and replace, yes. That's all my addon does.

fly

Post by fly » Wed May 17, 2006 4:20 pm

5eraph wrote:Compress and replace, yes. That's all my addon does.
Wait. Is the link you posted a newer version than the one M$ is pushing out? I should just use that, instead of the M$ one, correct?

Sometimes I'm really slow. LOL

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed May 17, 2006 4:38 pm

The versions are the same. The binaries are identical. The difference is in the way they're installed.

This method should bypass any non-Administrator usage issues that were present in the first iteration of the hotfix that Microsoft released. This is because the file is not installed from Microsoft's hotfix; it uses the original fresh install method Microsoft has used since XP SP0, which historically hasn't had that problem.

Of note: As the original version of Flash included with Windows XP could not be uninstalled, the same will be true with this version. It can be updated later to a newer version by hotfix or Adobe installer.

fly

Post by fly » Wed May 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Hmmm, I tried just copying those files: Flash.oc_ and swflash.in_ into my I386 folder. I get an error about TSHOOT.DLL missing, which incidentally is the same error I got when trying to use Ryan's update pack a few months ago. Whatever version of files those are or however they are packed or something don't seem to work with my network based unattended install.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed May 17, 2006 5:21 pm

I'm not sure exactly when you receive this error. Are you saying you get it while performing an install? Or do you get it when trying to replace any files on your network source?

Maybe it's time I asked exactly how you do your network installs. Not just for troubleshooting, but also to see how I could accomplish it myself. ;)

fly

Post by fly » Wed May 17, 2006 5:32 pm

I get it during an actual install. iirc, it was somewhere aroun T-30.

To get it working, I PXE boot into BartPE, then run:

Code: Select all

@..\i386\winnt32 /unattended:winnt.sif /syspart:c:
I can maybe post the shell of files tomorrow, if you wanna take a looksie.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed May 17, 2006 5:57 pm

First, I must gain an understanding of how PXE booting works. I'm beginning to look into it as spare time allows. I do appreciate the offer, but I'm not that far along yet. :)

The problem I'm seeing (and my vision is as incomplete as my current understanding of network-based installs) is that somewhere down the line changing any files in I386 causes problems. Is this correct?

How are you currently applying hotfixes? Do you use SVCPACK.INF or the /Integrate switch? Or do you apply them at first logon via RunOnce?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 17, 2006 6:09 pm

That's an issue with winnt32.exe-based installs which was fixed two versions ago.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

fly

Post by fly » Thu May 18, 2006 8:33 am

5eraph wrote:First, I must gain an understanding of how PXE booting works. I'm beginning to look into it as spare time allows. I do appreciate the offer, but I'm not that far along yet. :)

The problem I'm seeing (and my vision is as incomplete as my current understanding of network-based installs) is that somewhere down the line changing any files in I386 causes problems. Is this correct?

How are you currently applying hotfixes? Do you use SVCPACK.INF or the /Integrate switch? Or do you apply them at first logon via RunOnce?
Currently, I apply all hotfixes with /integrate.

And maybe I'll have to try your updates now Ryan. I was unaware that the problem was fixed.