Trying to install Windows XP using WINNT32.EXE

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
n7Epsilon

Trying to install Windows XP using WINNT32.EXE

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue May 31, 2005 1:09 am

- Hello...

-> I've been experimenting with your pack to find out if it works in all Windows installation modes ...

--> Well, when I install Windows by booting from the CD, all goes well, and Windows installs correctly, WINNT.SIF is processed .... etc.

--> When I try to install using WINNT32.EXE I find that WINNT.SIF in NOT processed at all (evident by the standard Luna theme and the missing programs and tweaks), while I am trying to works around this (by making a CMD file that does whatever RunOnceEx.cmd does and launch from SVCPACK.INF), I got 2 file copy errors:

1. Cannot find TSHOOT.DLL (it seems that the file is not copied to the temp folder on the C: drive, so I navigate to the CDs path and click Ok and install resumes.

2. Cannot find BNTS.DLL (same as above)

---> I do not get the ICGFNT.DLL problem though....
---
---> Configuration: Windows XP SP2 + RyanVM Update Pack Full 1.2.2a
-----> Windows Media Player slipstreamed (MSFN's Gnome's Slipstreamer v3.0)

------> Upon launch Windows seems to behave normally, QFECHECK finds all of the hotfixes (meaning that RVMUPPCK.INF is processed during install)....

--> Windows Media Player is a little quirky, while everything is installed, when I click "Library" I get 2 prompts to search for Media files on the computer instead of 1, but apart from that WMP works well ...

--> This does not happen when booting from the CD ...

---> Am going to test with WINNT.EXE in VMware right now (although it's painfully slow, even with SMARTDRV), to check if the WINNT.SIF is not processed there too....

--> NOTE: 1 question: When does RVMUPPCK.INF get executed ... (at which stage of the installation)...

--> Second: Can you investigate this ? Does RVMUPPCK.INF somehow cause the 2 files TSHOOT.DLL and BNTS.DLL to be not copied to the temp folder.....

-- EDIT: One more question: When installing from DOS (WINNT.EXE) do I have to manually specify WINNT.EXE to use WINNT.SIF as my answer file and what does MsDosInitiated="0" do since I once turned it to 1 and it fixed some problems ...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 31, 2005 8:11 am

--> NOTE: 1 question: When does RVMUPPCK.INF get executed ... (at which stage of the installation)...
It gets called from sysoc.inf, and I want to say that's executed around the T7 (Registering Components) mark, though I'm not 100% certain on that off the top of my head. I'll get back to you on that.
--> Second: Can you investigate this ? Does RVMUPPCK.INF somehow cause the 2 files TSHOOT.DLL and BNTS.DLL to be not copied to the temp folder.....
I strongly doubt my pack is directly responsible for this behavior, given that it works fine if you boot from the CD. From what I can gather, the problem lies with file signing. I know nuhi had similar problems with nLite for a long time, though they were recently resolved. I'm going to talk to him more about what he had to do to fix it - I'm guessing a hacked DLL or two is in order, which I can make available from my site if it gets resolved.
-- EDIT: One more question: When installing from DOS (WINNT.EXE) do I have to manually specify WINNT.EXE to use WINNT.SIF as my answer file and what does MsDosInitiated="0" do since I once turned it to 1 and it fixed some problems ...
I think so, but I'm very unfamiliar with DOS-initiated XP installs. There are probably more experienced people on this forum (or more so on the MSFN forums) that can answer that question better than I can.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:39 am

I redid the installation and re-slipstreamed the packs into a fresh source and the TSHOOT.DL_ and BNTS.DL_ problems went away...
It gets called from sysoc.inf, and I want to say that's executed around the T7 (Registering Components) mark, though I'm not 100% certain on that off the top of my head. I'll get back to you on that.
-> RvmUpPck.inf gets processed actually even before T-14 (before SVCPACK.INF) since I found that at T-13 mark, CMDOW.EXE already exists in SYSTEM32 ...

--> As for the WINNT.EXE problem:
---> I am working on a very good workaround that involves ditching the $OEM$ RunOnceEx.cmd file for another CMD that executes from SVCPACK.INF (so I don't need WINNT.SIF at all for my CMD file to be executed unlike RunOnceEx which needs "OEMPreInstall="Yes"" in WINNT.SIF

-> Thus the result would be:
1. If I install by booting from the CD, I get unattended install of Windows with tweaks...
2. If I install by WINNT.EXE without parameters, I get attended install but my tweaks are still executed.
3. If I install by WINNT32.EXE, I get same results...

-> Currently testing WINNT.EXE in VMWare.. (that thing is way to slow in MS-DOS mode...) (Thinking of using a DOS UDMA driver...)
Last edited by n7Epsilon on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:13 am

WINNT32.EXE /UNATTEND[:answerfile]
WINNT.EXE /s[:sourcepath] /u[:answerfile]

I beleive that will execute it with winnt.sif support.

You can also run:
winnt32.exe /?
winnt.exe /?
This will show you all of the possible switches you can use. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:24 pm

-- Gosh, still can't fix the TSHOOT.DLL and BNTS.DLL file copy errors... They re-appeared again, after testing with WINNT.EXE and WINNT32.EXE

They are not getting copied to C:\$WINNT$.~LS temporary folder from %CDROM%\I386...

--> Can someone else test this and post findings ....??

-> Test Procedure:
-> Normal XP + SP2 + RyanVM 1.2.2 NoWMP + 1.2.2a-full-no-wmp.rar + GNOME WMP10 Slipstreamer....

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 pm

I've been able to reproduce the problem, but haven't made any progress on a solution. For now, I'm probably just going to put up a note on my website that winnt32.exe installs currently don't work.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:11 am

-----

How changes must I make to RVMUPPCK.INF if I want to add more files to be copied to SYSTEM32 directory since I tried editing it before and it didn't work.... (even the whole RVMUPPCK.INF file stopped being processed...) ??

----

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:20 am

You need to add the actual files to the CAB file, and in the INF you need to update the [SourceDisksFiles] section and [CopySystem32] section.

Of just add them to your unattended CD (in $OEM$\$$\system32), which is considerably easier to do.
http://unattended.msfn.org/global/oemfolders.htm

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:38 am

-- I stopped using $OEM$ for good reasons....

--> Related thread @ MSFN.ORG ...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=47587

-- Request...
--> Can you please examine the source I posted there (if you have spare time)..., tell me how to optimize it and/or use standard Windows commands to avoid editing INF files (something that I still need to master)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 pm

I'll take a look at it when I get home from work today.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi,
BTW, I found the LINEX.COM utility here: (mentioned in the thread)

http://stott.feis.herts.ac.uk/resources ... atch02.htm