non-slipstreamed version?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
firefan

non-slipstreamed version?

Post by firefan » Tue May 31, 2005 8:10 pm

Hello Ryan,

Just curious here...why did you build the Update Pack so that it has to be slipstreamed onto SP2 and not available as a standalone package? (For example, to be used on an existing XP installation that already has SP2). Thanks!

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 31, 2005 8:13 pm

Dude... As soon as you slipstreamed SP2 into Windows XP SP0, it should be equal to a standard Windows XP SP2 CD supplied with current new pc's. So Ryan's should work on both slipstreamed-SP2 and factory-SP2 versions of XP.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Re: non-slipstreamed version?

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 31, 2005 8:46 pm

firefan wrote:Hello Ryan,

Just curious here...why did you build the Update Pack so that it has to be slipstreamed onto SP2 and not available as a standalone package? (For example, to be used on an existing XP installation that already has SP2). Thanks!
Because anyone can download and install hotfixes. Besides, what you've described is exactly what Autopatcher does.

firefan

Re: non-slipstreamed version?

Post by firefan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 pm

RyanVM wrote:Because anyone can download and install hotfixes. Besides, what you've described is exactly what Autopatcher does.
Hi Ryan,

Problem with Autopatcher is that it doesn't include hotfixes that you have to call Microsoft for. I had to call Microsoft twice in the past to obtain hotfixes, and each time I had to spend 30 mins on the phone with the tech going through some very basic troubleshooting before he agreed to send me the link to the particular hotfix. It's just a hassle.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:54 pm

I just email them for the hotfixes. Generally, if I email them before going to bed, I've got a reply with the download link by the time I wake up the next morning. And most of my messages just say "Please send the the KBxxxxxx hotfix" with nothing else. They're surprisingly lax about sending the fixes out.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:02 pm

I don't get this "battle" from Microsoft anyway, just make all those damn hotfixes public... Is this a game or what?

firefan

Post by firefan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Thanks for the tip Ryan.