RIS and update packs

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
plato2876

RIS and update packs

Post by plato2876 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:04 pm

Sorry to bug all, but I'm new to using RIS, though I've used the RyanVM update pack for several months now. Is there any specific trick to getting an updated image to install through RIS? I can get my SP2 slipstream base to install over RIS just fine, but when I attempt to install the update pack version, I get missing file messages regarding xpsp3res.dl_, even when I manually copy said file to the I386 folder in my image directory.

Thanks for the help in advance.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:54 pm

Something you need to keep in mind with RIS is that when the image is created, many many files are in an uncompressed form. So as an example, the file in the RVM Pack named SWFLASH.IN_ is going to be in your RIS dirctory as SWFLASH.INF. Now both files will exist.

Like a dummy, the last time I manually removed the uncompressed duplicates I never documented which files were dupes. So you're going to have to do the leg work yourself.

While on the topic, I've successfully used nLite and RVM together on a RIS image. You just really need to have an understanding as to what is going on behind the scenes so that when you do run into the inevitable snag, you can work your way through it. I really should have been documenting all of the hard lessons I've learned in the last 6 months of doing this.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:16 am

For anyone interested I posted a somewhat half assed guide to using RIS w/ RVM, nLite, and BTS over at MSFN in Nuhi's forum.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=47643

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:54 am

Now Rogue... I really think you should watch your language in here. There may be kids hangging around. ;) Hehe... J/K!

Looks pretty helpful Rogue. Thanks a lot. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

plato2876

Post by plato2876 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks! This should be quite helpful, Rogue. Btw, what framedyn.dll error are you getting, and does it involve SFC?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:25 am

As far as the framedyn.dll thing... I must be totally tardin out or something these days. When I do a manual integration of RVM to my SP2 source I get that error (no nLite involved at all, just a manual integrate of RVM and that's it). When I do an auto integrate via nLite, it's fine. At this point I think I've messed around with it so much I have tunnel vision and the problem could be right in front of my eyes.

But now that I have the auto integrate working, I just need to catch up on everthing else that I've let slide. It won't be too long before the next RVM pack is out and it looks as though there could be a couple of differences in how it operates so I'm going to take a break from that issue for now.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:09 pm

I had the farmedyn.dll error a long time ago too. I was using RIS, update pack, and Driver Packs. I forget what I had to do to fix it but if I remember right ... for a temp fix I placed it in the system32 inside of my %OEM$\$$.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Tazmaniandevil

Post by Tazmaniandevil » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:24 am

Siginet wrote:I had the farmedyn.dll error a long time ago too. I was using RIS, update pack, and Driver Packs. I forget what I had to do to fix it but if I remember right ... for a temp fix I placed it in the system32 inside of my %OEM$\$$.
I was getting the framedyn.dll error, and some of the updates seemed to be missing. I expanded the framedyn.dl_ into the i386 folder. No errors at all now, and all updates are being applied.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:30 am

Well after going back over everything, I have to think that maybe I was screwing up the dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif entries during the process of manual integration. There just doesn't seem to be any other explanation I can think of. Ryan's pack hasn't changed, my SP2 CD hasn't changed. The only variables lied within my manually integrating the pack. I appreciate the help though..