Would this ever be possible Ryan?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
DLF

Would this ever be possible Ryan?

Post by DLF » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:50 pm

First of all, thanks for the great work you are doing on the pack it really is a godsend when used in conjunction with nLite. (Not sure about the logic behind psshutdown tho?!)
My question: We have a hell of a lot of machines to update from XP basic or SP1, that cannot be reformatted and freshly installed - ONLY updated with SP2. Would it ever be possible to just take SP2 and integrate your update pack with it somehow and thus remove the need for applying SP2 and then applying all the individual post-SP2 hotfixes afterwards which is very time consuming?? Then you could apply SP2 and your latest pack all in one hit to the machine.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:39 pm

I would have to say that I would not use a modified Service Pack. It's one thing to integrate directly with an install source, but another to mess with the service pack itself.

If you have that many machines to upgrade you may want to see about using Microsoft SUS to keep all of your machines updated. It's free and I've been using it problem free for a couple of years now.

DLF

Post by DLF » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:33 am

@RogueSpear
Thanks for the reply and the tip, I'm not familiar with M$ SUS, I will do some research on it. Re: my suggestion, I was thinking more along the lines of a CD-r containing a .bat file or better still an autorun.inf that could call and then install SP2 and seemlessly follow it with another call that integrates the RyanVM .cab into the OS - all preferably uA.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:49 am

Well, back before I started making unattended CDs, my first foray into that basic idea was to install all the hotfixes from a batch file after the fact. It was back when Blaster was running rampant and people were getting infected before they could even patch their systems. Basically, you can make a batch file like you would if you were installing the hotfixes from RunOnceEx (calling the exes with the silent switches) and just run that after the fact. The nature of my update pack is that it is designed to be directly integrated into the XP install CD, so I think a batch file installing all the hotfixes is going to be your best bet.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DLF

Post by DLF » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:11 am

@Ryan
Thanks for the response, I suppose I could make a CD-r that contains an auturun.inf that calls a .bat file that silently installs SP2 and then calls all the individual hotfix exec's. However, to keep my "request" within the context of your forum's scope (and also because I'm always trying to find a shortcut) - I was rather hoping that your .cab file might be in such a format where it could be called "as-a-whole". Or with very little work it could be slightly adapted to be so called and applied.
The idea of the .cab is totally superb and works 100% for me when applied with or without nLite to the bare XP OS, but I suppose I was selfishly expecting too much that your excellent .cab would be in such a format I could "port" into my specific situation.

choman

Post by choman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:50 pm

I know this is a bit redundent. But what I would like to see is a way to use the extremely cool .cab file (made by RyanVM) on a runtime system already at SP2. I am not in a situation where M$ SUS is an option. I unfortunetly maintain computers for friends and family.

So as new hotfixes and M$ replacements get added to the .cab file, I feel it would be nice to burn to a cd and run the NEW .cab file installation. Just a thought really, but somewhat in the same line of questioning as DLF

DLF

Post by DLF » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:58 pm

Having done some research, SUS is not an option for me either as it only applies to networks and I need to update a lot of machines from XP Basic or SP1 to SP2 and beyond that are individual machines. It really would be nice to be able to bang in a CD that auroruns and silently installs SP2 and then runs a cmd of some sort to then install all the post-SP2 hotfixes. Ah well, I live in hope. It would take me forever and a day to create this, and a/ I havent got the time and b/ I'm not technically adept enough to accomplish it anyway.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:41 pm

You might try IMing XPero. He made an installer for his XPize pack which is similar to mine in how it's packaged.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:01 pm

DLF wrote:Having done some research, SUS is not an option for me either as it only applies to networks and I need to update a lot of machines from XP Basic or SP1 to SP2 and beyond that are individual machines. It really would be nice to be able to bang in a CD that auroruns and silently installs SP2 and then runs a cmd of some sort to then install all the post-SP2 hotfixes. Ah well, I live in hope. It would take me forever and a day to create this, and a/ I havent got the time and b/ I'm not technically adept enough to accomplish it anyway.
DLF: This is what I would do about the SP2 install.

Log into the machine as an administrator. Put the network install of Service Pack 2 on a CD. Here are examples of what some files would look like.

Autorun.inf:
[autorun]
open=SP2Install.cmd
label=SP2 Auto Install

Then create a file called SP2Install.cmd. Open it with notepad and put this into it:
@echo off
title Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2

echo.
echo Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
start /wait SP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /U /O /N

Put these two files on the root of the CD. Create a folder called SP2 on the CD. Put the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file there. That is the Service Pack 2 network install file. The machine will autorun the SP2 install without any need of user intervention. It will display the progress and reboot when it is finished.

PM me if you need me to send you the files. I've created a CD image which has this and the post-SP2 updates that run. Since there's no Autopatcher "post-SP2" yet, this is my solution.

--Leviathan