Where's the next version?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
JackVance

Post by JackVance » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:56 pm

I may have misunderstood what I read, but my impression was that the functionality of the UpdatePack v1.3.0 was finished, and that RyanVM was going to spend this weekend integrating it into the new GUI, and testing the finished product on his new HD.

That doesn't mean, however, that the final product will be released this weekend. Getting the interface to work properly may require more work than anticipated.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:29 pm

imjimmy wrote:
Well I wouldn't wait for 1.3 before you install your programs. 1.3.0 is still quite a ways off yet.

Thanks for the info..I thought 1.3.0 was about to come this week itself. So maybe i should not wait.

Just had one question. 1.22.cab+ 1.22b.rar has size equal to 50 Mb only.

DOes this include all Updates from MS post SP2???
Most of the other packages that i have seen like Autopatcher etc..that claim to include all MS updates post SP2 are huge!

I used Windows XP Build 0 + SP2(270Mb from MS) + Ryan's 1.22 with Nlite. Then to the result i extracted 1.22b in I386.
The Bootable ISO of this is only 575 MB.
Does this sound ok? Is it not too small?Can someone who's used a similar method plz verify.

Many of the copies of Windows XP + SP2 that i have seen are 600 Mb or more..

Sorry for the questions.. Just a little confused..
You don't have to worry about a thing.

As far as I know the reason that the sizes are smaller is because Ryan's pack actually replaces system files instead of just installing after you install windows (like autopatcher). And it does it really efficiently which means it will increase the size of windows only very little or could actually make it smaller in some cases.

Just trust that Ryan's pack does a really efficient job and that is why the size is not overly huge. :D

imjimmy

Post by imjimmy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:44 pm

You don't have to worry about a thing.

As far as I know the reason that the sizes are smaller is because Ryan's pack actually replaces system files instead of just installing after you install windows (like autopatcher). And it does it really efficiently which means it will increase the size of windows only very little or could actually make it smaller in some cases.

Just trust that Ryan's pack does a really efficient
job and that is why the size is not overly huge.

Thanks Protaganist.

I really appreciate your help and quick response.

This place rocks!!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:05 pm

Yeah, RyanVM's Update Pack likes a service pack update like microsoft's.
Here's really really rocks!!!

canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:58 pm

How's the progress?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:20 pm

canuckerfan - Work on the GUI installer isn't finished yet. I suggest you harrass Siginet to finish it if you want 1.3.0 faster :lol:
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:08 pm

Protagonist. wrote:about the same as nLite.
I agree. Ryan what was the motovation for a GUI? it seems there are two camps, those who do everything manually and those who use nlite. I don't see where the gui fits in for ethier.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:35 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only real functional difference between Ryan's integration of the UpdatePack and nLite's is that Ryan's method fully integrates the SP2 updated driver cabinet into the main driver cab so all drivers stay resident on the system drive after Windows installation is complete. I like this feature and it's why I do it Ryan's way.

nLite is good for permanently removing unwanted Windows components to slim down a Windows network/CD installation, as nuhi's site explains. I'm not sure of what orcoxp describes as extra stuff; I simply haven't gotten that far into it.

Ryan's motivation for a GUI seems simple enough: ease of use. Why should it be necessary for the user to add entries to various files when the pack does everything else? I would agree that this could be accomplished without a GUI, but this way everything can be done in a simple window that almost anyone could understand. It can also make it better for Ryan in that there may also be far fewer people asking for explicit directions on how to make his pack work (even though it's explained very well on the site).

suren

Post by suren » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:05 am

RyanVM, Please Please STOP DELETEING POSTs, and tell us when's the next version? (if you dont like to post pm me)

Sorry Sorry

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:13 am

Suren, Ryan's work is done for v1.3.0. He is waiting for Siginet to finish the integrator to include in the UpdatePack so he can have a Graphical User Interface to make things easier for everyone. Ryan may not know much more about when that part will be done than we do.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:42 am

suren wrote:RyanVM, Please Please STOP DELETEING POSTs, and tell us when's the next version? (if you dont like to post pm me)

Sorry Sorry
Dude, you sound like a stalker. He's only deleting your posts (assuming he is deleting posts, anyways), because you post so damn many of them asking when he's gonna be done. STOP!

Let the man do this at his own pace, and i'm sure people bothering him really PISSES him off and helps delay the release. He's already said it would be delayed for an indefinite amount of time.

---
These are not the opinions of RyanVM nor of MSFN. 8)

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:13 am

Theres never been an issue with Ryans packs not working at the least each one Ive used has been flawless.
I put that down to countless hours of testing prior to releasing. I also don't believe Dinos reduction program is leaving crap behind if anything its removin it & I see little or no difference in which method you use to incorporate Ryans update packs Dudes correct me if I'm wrong all I see is great stuff & no one here can thank them enough as far as I'm concerned.
The Man from Aus

glent

Post by glent » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:16 am

Ditto

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:08 am

I say we throw Ryan a party. :D

We'll get him drunk and then steal 1.3.0 and run away and leave his house all a mess. 8)

Sure it doesn't have the gui yet, but I'd still steal it. :wink:

DJB

Post by DJB » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:15 am

Protagonist. wrote:I say we throw Ryan a party. :D

We'll get him drunk and then steal 1.3.0 and run away and leave his house all a mess. 8)

Sure it doesn't have the gui yet, but I'd still steal it. :wink:
LMAO, Don't tempt me, I'll fly over to the U.S. just for that.

On other thoughts I think I might just be patient and hope that the longer it takes means that more updates will be included. Might be a bit cheaper this way, hehe.

canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:43 pm

So.... I guess the pack is gonna be delayed?

gdogg

Post by gdogg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:07 pm

dont know if its been answered yet,
but to the question, whats the need for a gui installer

i thought ryanvm pointed this out already

there will be no , lite, medium, and full packs anymore

and the gui will bacsically pick one of those

am i right?

glent

Post by glent » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:40 pm

No the Gui installer ism used to automate the installation of his packs

Lucius Snow

Post by Lucius Snow » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:15 pm

It'd be nice to keep also a manual install for those who want to translate the pack.

canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:32 pm

Couldn't the pack be released before the GUI installer? That way, those who want to integrate it manually can, and those who want it automated can wait for the installer (which they'd wait for anyways). I'm guessing Ryan has something else planned. 8)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:50 pm

Holy mother of God off topic posts (seriously people, there's a general discussion forum for a reason). They've been split off into a thread in General Discussion if you want to keep that discussion going.

Why is a GUI installer necessary?
  • Integration is getting more complex. I'm getting more support requests from people who likely screwed up the directions and are having issues. Having a simple installer do the work greatly reduces the likelihood of user error and therefore makes my life easier.
  • The next generation installer will be much easier for translators to use. It allows me to use INI files and such instead of hard coded values, which means it can be localized (eventually) and better customized (instead of me sending the source to __integrate.exe to the translator and having them edit it as needed) for whatever specific fixes they choose to include.
  • The installer allows me to have the flexibility with the addons packs that users have been clamoring for for quite awhile. While it won't happen immediately, this is a HUGE stepping stone towards allowing users to pick and choose what addons they want instead of what addons I think they should have.
Why is it taking so long?
  • I had originally intended to have a friend of mine write an installer in full C++ which did all the work. We began discussing it in May and he said he was up to the task. Unfortunately, he's basically dropped off the face of the earth and isn't able to do it right now. He told me he could do it and didn't come through.
  • That put me in an awkward position of planning the next release around an installer which wasn't going to exist any time in the forseeable future. Siginet stepped up to the plate and volunteered to adapt his Autoit installer to my needs and requirements. It's not perfect, but it's only going to get better with time.
  • Siginet has a life and a full time career. He's been extremely busy with that lately and hasn't been able to devote the time to it he and I would have liked him to.
  • On top of that, I've run into a few issues on my end as well with the pack (the CAT file issues) that I haven't really resolved yet (just kind of worked around). I already know it's going to cause issues with users in the future and am still looking for a better way to get around it.
Where does this put things now?
  • Trust me, I'm personally very embarrassed that it's been nearly 3 months since the last release. It's a point of personal pride for me to work on a project this large and keep up with it.
  • I'm getting married in less than two weeks (August 12) and will be gone for a week after that (yay honeymoons). If I don't get something out within a week or so, it's going to be even further delayed. Nobody likes that prospect, least of all myself.
Thank you all for your patience, I'm doing my best to make sure this works as good as possible. I'm sorry if that's not as fast as you would have liked.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:44 pm

Cheers Son.
The Man from Aus

gdogg

Post by gdogg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:06 pm

cool,

have a great wedding

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:24 pm

thanks and congratulations to you, Ryan! :)

guys, you have to see the GUI Installer in a long run ... look down further into the future packs ...

Ryan planned and prepared all these necessary stuffs alongside with the GUI Installer are all boils down to one certain thing: US, his loyal supporters and users (for his update packs)!

why do you think he went this length of trouble just to get the GUI prepared?

he's doing this for us, so that we can integrate his future update packs easily (trouble-free) and easier to troubleshoot (just in case something pops up that screws the integration).

me and others would rather leave him alone solving the CAT issues and Siginet to finish the GUI Installer ... at least in the future his/siginet's works would make my life easier in a long run :D

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:29 pm

I sure hope so anyway :P

JonathanTNeal
Design Guru

AutoIt Coders

Post by JonathanTNeal » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Did you say ... AutoIt? Let me know if you or Siginet want any help there - I love AutoIt, like a mouse loves cheese, and the holes in the cheese are the holes in my heart when I'm not coding in AutoIt. Seriously though, I am offering any assistance, since you've already helped me out many an install.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:04 am

YGPM

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:51 am

cybpsych wrote:thanks and congratulations to you, Ryan! :)

guys, you have to see the GUI Installer in a long run ... look down further into the future packs ...
While slightly off topic, what will happen to nlite? It seems this will render it much less usefull.

suren

Post by suren » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:19 am

news from RyanVM, you all know that RyanVMs is Hard Disk is toasted. because of that he have lost all SP2 Hotfixs, so now he's redownloading all the hotfixes, so there will be lot of errors in his next update pack. why?? he has also lost his update pack sorce code also. in next version there will be less hotfixes then the older ones. sorry RyanVM.

mastodon

Post by mastodon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:29 am

Ryan, you should concentrate now on your wedding, and after the honeymoon, with fully loaded on pack 1.3.
Don't forget: you can not apply any upgrade packs or fix on your honeymoon!! :-)

have a good time!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:33 am

suren wrote:news from RyanVM, you all know that RyanVMs is Hard Disk is toasted. because of that he have lost all SP2 Hotfixs, so now he's redownloading all the hotfixes, so there will be lot of errors in his next update pack. why?? he has also lost his update pack sorce code also. in next version there will be less hotfixes then the older ones. sorry RyanVM.
That's not even remotely true. I've said numerous times that the MSFN-related stuff was on a different drive entirely. I've also said numerous times before that 1.3.0 was delayed, yet you keep asking. Can't you read?

pcdoc

Post by pcdoc » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:09 am

suren wrote:news from RyanVM, you all know that RyanVMs is Hard Disk is toasted. because of that he have lost all SP2 Hotfixs, so now he's redownloading all the hotfixes, so there will be lot of errors in his next update pack. why?? he has also lost his update pack sorce code also. in next version there will be less hotfixes then the older ones. sorry RyanVM.
Seems to me "suren" doesn't understand how this process works. :rolleyes:

There are those that know and those that think they know....and the more you actually learn, the more you begin understand how much you don't really know!

dgould324

Post by dgould324 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:53 am

Wow!! A new version, a hard drive failure, a wedding and a honeymoon! You will need a month off after all of this is over. Congratulations and Good Luck to your bride!

y0r1c

Post by y0r1c » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:38 pm

oh, I hope you'll finish your job soon...

ripken204

Post by ripken204 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:18 pm

well he said that he is hoping to have it done before his wedding so lets just leave it at that, if its not out then, then we all know its b/c he is way to busy with getting married. we need to stop buggin him about this

superleiw

Post by superleiw » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:16 pm

Will there be again a Lite.Medium and Full version of the 1.3.0 package?

I believe you said there will be only one version but will that one include everything? If yes will we be able to remove different things like WU manually?

Thank you and good luck with your wedding
:P

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 pm

He said things will be different, i.e. no lite, medium, or full packs. There will be one pack (similar to the lite pack) and then some add-on packages to that.

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:08 am

Its going to be GUI driven, you will be able to select which fixes and which packs you want to install.

I would expect him to offer the hotfixes and gui as one download and the addons/packs as seperate add in packs - to save the 56k'rs - but thats just my speculation.

First Post so, Hello to all and Thanks to RyanVM For all the HARD Work.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:07 am

Good news, I've got a second developer working on the GUI now. That will hopefully speed things up :)

As far as how things will be for download, Paul_365 is mostly right. The only thing is that the GUI integrator will be a seperate download as well, since it will be version-independent.

suren

Post by suren » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 pm

it's August still no update pack :(

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm

Since Aug. 9th is the 2nd Tuesday, and that's about 5 days away, will 1.3.0 include the August patches as well? I'm patient enough to wait an extra couple days if that's all the difference it will make. If the inclusion of said patches were definate, it would also give the GUI more time to complete development.

And of course, thanks to everyone (RyanVM, Siginet, un-named 2nd GUI dev) for these releases. Don't rush yourselves. Quality is more important to most of us than speed. Even if I absolutely had to do a clean install tomorrow, it wouldn't kill me to use my Unattended XP w/ 1.22b of your pack. Thanks again!

buletov

Post by buletov » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:05 am

suren wrote:it's August still no update pack :(
what's your problem? if you're so eager to have an update pack, make it yourself... the man -IS- having a wedding soon, you know...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 am

I'd like to get the August patches in at this point, but that could get tricky since I'll be home in Michigan by next Tuesday. Odds are good that the August updates won't get in until after I get back, simply because next week is going to be insane busy.

Maybe if I sneak away for an hour or two I can remote in and do it, but I'm making no promises of the sort.

EDIT: Of course, with the new addon pack system, maybe someone on the forum will be able to make an August addon pack before I get back :P. In fact, I like that idea. If someone here wants to do it, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info you need now to make it happen.

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:29 am

buletov wrote:
what's your problem? if you're so eager to have an update pack, make it yourself... the man -IS- having a wedding soon, you know...
Exactly my feelings as well!!! Nothing worse than having a person bitch and moan about wanting updates to FREE software. Remember, Ryan is NOT obligated to release ANYTHING. He is doing this to expand HIS knowledge and to provide a service to those that are interested in learning the inner workings of how to do this as well as those that aren't interested in how to do it, but want an up-to-date automated-install disc. If you are not happy with the release dates then MAKE ONE YOURSELF! Or at least offer your services to Ryan and help with the production of it. If you can't make it, then SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!!!! The man DOES have a life besides writing these updates you know. It's not like he is making $$$ by doing it! If he was charging $14.95 a month for it and didn't provide an update, then yes, you have a right to complain; however, he is providing this for free....................

And one last thing, bitching and whining about the release date isn't going to get it released any sooner. If anything, I would slow down just to piss you off! (You being anyone who whines about the release dates)

-= Mancubus =-

Have a nice wedding!

Post by -= Mancubus =- » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:52 am

You're doing what's a lot of people rely on.
Hope your wife will be proud of you.
Wish you the best time in your life from now!
And a lot of patience to bear it :o)))))

Have a nice wedding!
And - big THANK YOU from here, Kiev, Ukraine :o)

y0r1c

Re: Have a nice wedding!

Post by y0r1c » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:49 am

TNX from Cherkassy, Ukraine too!!!!

I hope you'll be very happy with your wife!

buletov

Post by buletov » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:38 am

RyanVM wrote:... with the new addon pack system, maybe someone on the forum will be able to make an August addon pack before I get back...
yeah, maybe suren is willing to do it :twisted:
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:10 pm

dcromwell wrote:
buletov wrote:
Exactly my feelings as well!!! Nothing worse than having a person bitch and moan about wanting updates to FREE software. Remember, Ryan is NOT obligated to release ANYTHING. He is doing this to expand HIS knowledge and to provide a service to those that are interested in learning the inner workings of how to do this as well as those that aren't interested in how to do it, but want an up-to-date automated-install disc. If you are not happy with the release dates then MAKE ONE YOURSELF! Or at least offer your services to Ryan and help with the production of it. If you can't make it, then SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!!!! The man DOES have a life besides writing these updates you know. It's not like he is making $$$ by doing it! If he was charging $14.95 a month for it and didn't provide an update, then yes, you have a right to complain; however, he is providing this for free....................

And one last thing, bitching and whining about the release date isn't going to get it released any sooner. If anything, I would slow down just to piss you off! (You being anyone who whines about the release dates)
Take it easy alright. Just because you don't agree with his attitude doesn't mean you need to go flaming him. Just ignore him if you feel that way. But all this flaming you're doing isn't helping anybody.

Raider

Post by Raider » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:01 pm

Best wishes on your wedding! I hope it is everything you and your bride hope for and more.

tbone2

Post by tbone2 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:17 pm

Go ahead Ryan, enjoy the happiest day a man can have....besides getting a new power tool ;)
as for complaining about no new pack....get a life....If Ryan's wife let him out of the bed room....the man is going to need that time to down some energy drinks.

Congratulations Ryan.