UpdatePacks = K.I.S.S.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
SibTiger

UpdatePacks = K.I.S.S.

Post by SibTiger » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:35 pm

IMHO, UpdatePack should be kept as basic as possible, and it should appeal to as broad a base as possible.

Would there be a way to post "Pack Addons" with the extra stuff that not everyone wants? How about changing your system so that you offered ONE UpdatePack "essentials" which includes hotfixes that everyone needs (the current "Lite"). Then all else could be in individually packed add-ons. (Then there wouldn't be the need to figure out how to separate HighMat, for example, from the Full pack.)

Talk Nuhi into supporting your addons in nLite, and there's no additional complications in applying them. Or, make them exe's or batch files that "merge" with the "essentials" pack.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:56 am

How about no. Understand that the primary person I make this pack for is myself. As you already said, I have a Lite pack for those who want only the hotfixes. I don't see a reason to go through the hassle of doing more than that.

EDIT: And I suggest you look at the structure of my INF before you start telling me to make individual addons. Doing so would be nearly impossible.

SibTiger

Post by SibTiger » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:56 am

Was just trying to simplify your work, not complicate it! Don't have time to dig into this myself, but I'll take your word for that what I suggest is an unneeded headache.

I was thinking the structure was something like a reg tweak where, for example, if you have 10 separate tweaks, it's not much work to make 10 files out of the 10 tweaks. But now you've clarified... it's far more complicated than that.

Thanks for the answer.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:25 am

Keep in mind that extracted to the CD, the full pack only uses ~1.1MB more than the Lite pack. Considering how much space the update pack saves from not needing all the hotfix installers on it, it's really an insignificant difference IMO. And I'm willing to bend to the will of the people on shutdown.exe, but most of the other components are useful for enough people (and small enough in size) that I'm leaving them in.

(That's actually my favorite part of using my pack. I love adding new hotfixes and seeing no real size difference on the CD. It's a welcome change from the post-SP1 era when I had like 30 hotfixes installed during setup :P)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

SibTiger

Post by SibTiger » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:11 pm

You're right... the size of the additional components is neglible. I'll never use psshutdown, but finally I don't really care if it's in the update pack since it's only ~14KB.

I also recall not so long ago waiting 20+ minutes when XP installation hit the 13 minute stage. I'm glad those days are over! And thanks to you, it looks I like won't be seeing them again.

Your work is much appreciated. Thanks for this time-saving contribution to the online community!

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Wed May 11, 2005 5:13 pm

How about adding the components to the "Add/Remove Windows Components" file (SYSOC.INF)? You could still maintain your INF file and allow people to uninstall optional components that they don't want on their system. (just a thought) Oh, by the way, your Update Pack rocks!!!