Password at Logon Screen

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
zhdali

Password at Logon Screen

Post by zhdali » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Hi, i have a strange problem here:

I'm able to login only one time for session.
After a logoff (for switch user for example) i can't type nothing at password box in logon screen.
I can't type nothing for nobody, i can only login with user without password or restart the pc.

I use a windows xp pro english (and it work, tested) for source
I added only SP2 and ryan pack (full version)

I tried to add SP2 and ryan pack one time manually and one time with nlite, same result: login not work correctly.

If i use a version only with SP2 it work.

Someone have the same trouble?

Any suggestions?

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:15 am

3 words

Auto login count
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

zhdali

Post by zhdali » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:17 am

Thx, when return at home i try it

zhdali

Post by zhdali » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:53 am

Mhh, i checked my winnt.sif and yes i have:

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="*******"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1

OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=105
OemSkipWelcome=1

But i have same settings in all my unattended cd and only whe i apply ryanvm pack i have this problem.

This problem is referred not at first login after installation but at every login of someone user i create also manualy after installation.

For security I tried to search in registry for some similar key but nothing.

I think the trouble is in another place or pheraps i not have understood
what you have said to me.

fade2gray

Post by fade2gray » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same issue when applying 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 to CORP and OEM versions.

This happens when using RVMIntegrator or nLite and wether or not autologin is selected (I have not created a winnt.sif, have not used Userpasswords2 to create an autologin account nor included any addons), but once I create a password for any account in the usual fashion, after login out I am unable to enter a password at the Welcome screen. The only way around this is to use either classic login (2xCtrl+Alt+Del) or perform a restart when you can again type into the password field.

Has anyone any advice please?

tbs

Post by tbs » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:46 pm

Not a solution, but I use this workaround now as I had this annoying problem with some of my installs a while back.

grab a copy of logonui.exe (logonui.ex_) from the I386 folder or from system32.

rename logonui.exe to newlogon.exe

place in $oem$\$$\system32 - so it gets copied over during install

add the following regtweak during install

;----------------LOGON SCREEN
;
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"UIHost"="newlogon.exe"
;
;---------------END LOGON SCREEN

Don't know why but changing to this 'new' logon screen seems to solve the problem. I suppose you could remove the old logonui.ex_ from I386 but I've never done so...

tbs

fade2gray

Post by fade2gray » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this tbs - even simpler was to just add an entry in my runonceex.cmd to rename logonui.exe (no need to extract and overwrite) followed by the regedit entry.

Thanks again. :D

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 pm

WOW...I can't believe that seemingly out of nowhere I am all of a sudden experiencing this exact same problem! I just drove myself nuts for over half a day trying to figure out what the heck I did to cause this problem.

I got this with both Redxii and Ryan's SP3 packs and I am trying this now with virtually none of my reg tweaks and NO addons at all.

Does anyone have any insight into this that makes sense???

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 pm

OK.. I just finished a test with just XPSP3 + Redxii's SP3 Update pack and the MB drivers and damn I have the same problem... I have the same winnt.sif file I have used forever so now I'm wondering if I have been missing this problem due to the fact that I rarely create numerous extra users and test logins more then a few times... plus I think I only have 1 system that I use the fast user swithcing on... the rest are ctrl-alt del

I'm LOST and need to call it a night and start fresh tomorrow... any help would be appreciated.

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:03 pm

fade2gray wrote:Thanks for the heads-up on this tbs - even simpler was to just add an entry in my runonceex.cmd to rename logonui.exe (no need to extract and overwrite) followed by the regedit entry.

Thanks again. :D
I tried this solution with a simple runonceex cmd and everytime the boot is finished logonui.exe is recreated and the reg entry is back to the original logonui.exe reference.
I re-ran the actual bat file that renames the file and adds the reg entry and it works perfect but when I test it again under runonceex.cmd it doesn't work.
I will try adding the reg file at T13 and see if that fixes this...

EDIT: adding the reg change at T13 does resolve the registry changing back... logonui.exe is still recreated but the registry is now pointing to logonNEWui.exe which was copied to the windows\system32 directory. I will test this to see if it resolves the login passsword problem.

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:28 pm

OK... so far I completely re-did my compilations using both RYAN's and Redxii's SP3 update packs along with my addons and "tweaks". I added the above mentions mods to see if it would fix this odd problem and so far after creating numerous users with different permissions and logging in and out maybe 100 times and using the systems normally I have not had one single error... I guess this fixed this but damn I am TOTALLY dumb-founded on this one... what the heck could have caused this problem and how did I miss it before... any am I the only one experiencing this??? :rolleyes: