[ISSUE] Explorer stalling? Anybody ever experience this?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
biatche
I can't read

[ISSUE] Explorer stalling? Anybody ever experience this?

Post by biatche » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:04 pm

I don't know what I've installed wrong, but this has happen to me for quite some time already. Basically, after some time of usage... Windows explorer might take some time to respond. You'll see the mouse "wait" icon.... and its random as well..

Also, sometimes when i go to like start > settings > control panel, the whole taskbar would freeze up for like 10-15s? and (optional -_-) when I do it again, thats go to control panel, although its already open, it does the same thing... so what does this mean?

I'll put up a list later of the addons that i integrate... but generally, what would be causing this?

This has happened to me since.... perhaps rvm 2.0.4?
Last edited by biatche on Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:20 pm

have you tried making a disk with no addons? Then test it. If it works fine add a few more addons. Test it. Then a few more and so on. Once you find the addon causeing you trouble life will be much easier from here on. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:14 pm

do u have an antivirus? or do u have more than one antivirus softs? it may cause..

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:21 pm

This has been happening to me since the beginning of time. I guess I'm just so used to it that I figured it was a "feature" of Windows XP.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:32 pm

whats ur ram size? if less (128), it may also cause...

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:37 pm

Happens to me anywhere from 512MB to 2GB of RAM. All my computers are domain members running SAV.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:07 pm

1. To make new integrated cds and test combinations will definitely consume time. I will do it, but I won't be able to test so extensively.
2. No antivirus installed (yet)
3. RogueSpear: It did not happen till I started using RyanVM WITH Addons... I used to have near vanilla ryanvm, then I added more and more with time. PLEASE post what you use, so I can slim down the list of what may be causing it.
4. 512MB ram to be precise on the machines where this problem occured.
5. No antivirus again and I don't think this is what causes it.

Back to you guys.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:22 pm

For addons I use Ryan's WMP10 and my own private addon which is derivative of my former addon I used to maintain here. It's slimmed down greatly from what it once was. It has Unlocker in it, most of the things in Ryan's Addon, and all of the SysInternal's utilities (why it's not public anymore).

Something else regarding this issue. I load so much crap on the computers that I use that for me to narrow down what it would be would be nearly impossible. I have so many things that I use, which may not be on your typical install, like Macrovision's FLEXnet AdminStudio, Cisco's VPN Client, all kinds of Microsoft resource kits, Visual Studio 2005, PrimalScript, etc. It's sort of amazing that they run at all.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:29 am

RogueSpear: What swapfile size do you use? Min, Max.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:58 am

Recommended

- Initial size (MB): 1.5 x the amount of RAM in your system
- Maximum size (MB): 3.0 x the amount of RAM in your system (PF Size Limit = 4095 MB)

Found Here http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:22 am

One more thing i notice... Often at shutting down, explorer.exe has hard time closing on its own...

I gotta press "end now" to close it...

its getting annoying.. now where should I begin.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:31 am

maybe about a shell ex addon that makes ur system breeze.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:39 am

what makes you think its a shell ex addon? cuz i did add 2 shell ex.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:01 pm

dont remember that, but there was an extension making my explorer crash, also right click was getting very long to appear, but no idea that which was that...

superleiw

Post by superleiw » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:20 pm

for me it's the latest wga update which causes that (the one with WGATray)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:29 pm

I'm fairly convinced that in my circumstance that the delay is networking related. When I have my laptop at work in it's docking station I get the delay. When I'm at home with the laptop and VPNed in to the network I get the delay. When I'm at home but not VPNed in, there is no delay.

So I don't know if my computer is having to enumerate so many objects in AD (read massive amounts of DNS resolving) or if my mapped drives are somehow involved (possibly the same issue - DNS). I have drive letter Z mapped to the root of a DfS system, so there's literally hundred of thousands of files contained within that drive mapping.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:41 am

RogueSpear: Since you're far more experienced than me in this, would you have any suggestions / steps in how i/we can resolve this?

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:09 am

Tracking something like this down is a fairly complicated process. While I've had success in reproducing it, said success in inconsitant and doesn't always occur.

In short, this really isn't the sort of issue where one can say "x+y-a=z" to create a solution.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:59 am

Well this one should prove difficult to find. I really don't know what to tell you other than maybe mess with some network settings. I've left task manager running on top just so I could see any spikes in CPU usage, but during the delay there is no spike for me. It's as though the computer is waiting for something and eventually it just times out and goes along on it's merry way.

techtype

Post by techtype » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 pm

This won't work for everyone depending on their needs, but it fixes the network based delay:

Instead of using mapped drives, create "Network Places" that point to the same location. For many purposes these work just as well and eliminate the delay in Explorer when VPNed or working on a large or slow network.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:30 am

oh well... i hope we can get some leads

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:27 am

I suggest nLiting out some network-related stuff; eventually you should atleast find what windows component is causing the delay, if not why... (besides, I find my network much more accessible with all the windows crap nLited out.. simple file sharing especially)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:05 pm

sometimes when i go to like start > settings > control panel, the whole taskbar would freeze up for like 10-15s?
how many cpl addons do you use :lol:

had a tweak that did bring half the load from this and other sim issue's
what it basicly does :is: disables the mouse hovering to auto open\cascaded
instead a link must b clicked to continue and so on

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 am

i dont think its mouse-related, cuz even if controlling with keyboard its the same.... going to control panel is network related? man we seriously need some leads. this isn't acceptable... and i just dont know what to try.. this sucks -_-;

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:56 am

oh yeah btw, i use about 10-15 cpl addons i think

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:21 am

explorer is single-threaded and wont open nothing till it finishes co responding a caret in the registry or a network thread a link\dir in browser's layout or viseversa

a good example is the horrible way explorer loads\reads icons\paths

also mentioned here refering default icon associations so here too resides a clue

impossible :the idea for playing it safe right now is not to have to many files that hold dynamic commands paths or icons in same dir or feature
and keeping obsolete files away from the registry and dirs temp logs dat etc
EDIT making sure you have the right icon associations
hope someone can highlight this cause i didnt look into it properly yet

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 am

i have a bigger problem when using right click "open"
from the open dialog explorer box for example :

when using "choose an addon" with integrator 1.3 u get an open dialog window "title: "use ctrl or shift to .."
instead of choosing an addon.cab i choose to right click some folder at the open dialog explorer box location and use "open"
sometimes it takes ages to open an explorer browser this way

can any one confirm ?

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:38 pm

enu, how about you tell me EVERYTHING you integrate... maybe i can work something out from there... :/

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 pm

i can only advise that for ur next cd dont use too many of cpl addons or too many ext for right click menue options as i did myself :P
all this causes the delays with explorer and display

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:07 pm

Also, some shell extensions can be done via registry files instead of dll's. Even RegUnReg can be done via nothing more than registry entries. The original "Command Prompt Here" was converted to dll.

As a matter of prefference, I always try to limit the number of necessary dll's that windows has to access or maintain, so I tend to preffer reg edits over dll's for accomplishing the same thing.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

i only got 2 shx... do u think the issue could actually come from kel's uber addons?

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:28 am

and seriously, why CPL? would this be causing explorer to crash? i dont think so somewhat.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:29 am

The interconnectivity of windows.....when you think something is totaly unrelated to the problem at hand, you end up discovering otherwise.

PM me a list of everything that went in to the install that you're having problems with, I'll see if and what I can determine and duplicate.

gold0r

Post by gold0r » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:11 am

I have also come across this problem. It wasn't happening consistently enough for me to notice it straight away, but after having used the same install cd a few times now, it seems to happen for all the installs when I had the update pack integrated. The only change from the previous install cd I was using is the update pack and some integrated drivers.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:38 am

I still maintain that I've seen this behavior on systems with and without the Update Pack on them. It's just craptastic coding (the same that causes Explorer to freeze if it has to access a CD drive).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

SyKik

Post by SyKik » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:03 am

I sort of get this on one machine, but that's because in MS Windows infinite wisdom, it decided to convert the root of one of my larger files into a Music folder, so I guess its periodically scanning for new music or something...

Seem to be having major problems turning it back into a normal folder, anyone have any tips? Can't seem to customize the root of the folder, and tried removing the desktop.ini file that indicated that it was a music folder, but to no avail :x

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 am

I wonder if the Indexing service might also have something to do with this.. has anyone disabled that particular thing and checked to see if the problem got better?

TechnoHunter

SyKik

Post by SyKik » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:41 pm

My file indexing always off on that partition and hasn't helped... :cry:

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 am

so far im still having this issue,,, and its really troublesome.....

it only started happening lets see.. the pc im on now is using ryanvm january/febuary whatever that version it was.... and the later versions after that, this issue started.

and it only seem to get more and more unstable.

and now, wmimgmt warning msg is popping up in event viewer constantly....

where as the old rvm back then didn't have this issue...

worst part is, i dont even know where to begin. and mister ryanvm and some others think wmimgmt messages should be ignored...

before i continue posting.... i am first gonna confirm that all that i've been seeing is related to ryanvm 2.1.0.... ill be soon getting microsoft xp sp2 july edition .... ill install that one vanilla and see how it performs.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm

try installing these hand picked reg entries to fix the slow explorer
these are default vanilla entries for few of threads explorer uses
but if something els is wrong or may.. dont hold me personally responsible
remember im sharing this piece only to try and help
to be used only if ur going slow.. or if you prefer going faster ;)
get it here: http://www.mytempdir.com/861560 choose right click install

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:45 am

thanks.. did you write it? mind to give a rundown on what it changes in the registry? anything particular to note? are they just general tweaks that u see in guides... or these suppose to fix explorer stalling?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:59 am

Q ; mind to give a rundown on what it changes in the registry?
a ; ive been having this common problem my self ,i desided to to hunt for a fix
i chose to dig for the registry values explorer and shell handlers it uses
and looked for default values forms

Q ; are they just general tweaks that u see in guides...
a ; no tweaks ...i just chose which default values i would like to recreate offcourse their are more ,you can use it where you feel the slow down emerging in ur explorer shell .

Q ; or these suppose to fix explorer stalling?
a ; i found that this infact eliminates this problem
same problem arising over the years using "windows" where i used to backup reinstall the os :lol:

isnt this great or what
glad to hear it fixes ur problem as well
thanks for bringing this Topic

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:54 pm

awesome.... im gonna test it right away..... now it just makes me wonder why it only happens in rvm 'later' packs... and not the older ones

or is it one of the newer windows updates....

soulkeeper

Post by soulkeeper » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:21 am

omg guys i thought its my system but i have the same problem over 3 pcs now . i installed Ryanvm latest update and kelis uber pack latest one and the system was so slow but i tried and installed ryanvm late 2005 and kelis uber pack 2005 version dont rmember it exactly and i got the system fast and reliable .

im not sure if its kelis uber pack but i will integrate a cd now with only the Ryanvm update pack latest edition and see if this will make a change .

otherwise do u think its one of microsoft hotfix included that is causing this slowage ?

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:23 am

It's really hard to say what the problem is, as Ryan have said it can happen to machines indiscriminately.

A few things to do that's been talked about, first thing is to minimize the amount of Shellextensions (file based), one bad can really f*ck up explorer.

Kels Uber Pack is Uber packed with ShellExt so use with care on machines that have this problem. It's wiser to download the things you want as separate addons wich Kel supplies for most of the things in his Uber pack.

If it's updatepack related for some of you, version 2.1.0 is almost entierly based on official fixes that have a lower chance to conflict without MANY people raving about it everywhere on the internet wich would make it easy to find.

Complete list off all the unofficial ones left in 2.1.0 (23st):
  • KB883586 - Memory leak may occur when using a VML shape element on a Web page in Internet Explorer 6
  • KB883667 - Windows XP Setup program may stop responding during video driver installation
  • KB884575 - Battery power may be drained more quickly than expected on Windows XP-based laptop
  • KB888111 - Universal Audio Architecture High Definition Audio Class Driver Version 1.0a
  • KB889320 - Computer Browser service stops and Event ID 7023 is logged after Windows Firewall service disabled
  • KB889816 - Incorrect battery information is displayed after changing the batteries on a portable computer that is in hibernation or a suspended state
  • KB892489 - Antivirus scan may increase the number of open handles for the svchost.exe process
  • KB896256 - A Windows XP SP2-based computer that has multiple processors exhibits decreased performance or unexpected behavior
  • KB902149 - FTP client may echo account information back to the screen
  • KB902845 - Computer stops responding during text-mode Setup when you try to install Windows XP
  • KB902853 - An unnecessary restore operation may be started on a RAID group when computer is put in hibernation
  • KB903250 - Song titles are copied to a recordable CD after cancelling a burn operation in Windows Media Player 10
  • KB906216 - The Dhtmled.ocx ActiveX control doesn't work as expected after a program changes the Visible property of it
  • KB906681 - User can logon to computer by using a username and password, even though smart card is required
  • KB908536 - Horizontal scroll bar used in forms may not respond to mouse controls or actions when using themes
  • KB909608 - Access violation when using /integrate switch to integrate KB900725 into Windows XP SP2 installation source files
  • KB909667 - Computer stops responding during standby or hibernation operations or trying to use the Shut Down command
  • KB911262 - Slow system performance when running a program that uses the WMI service on a Windows XP SP2-based computer
  • KB913425 - A deadlock may occur when using the KSProxy-defined function IReferenceClock::AdviseTime for audio streams
  • KB914028 - Computer stops responding when trying to enter standby
  • KB915428 - Error message stating that you used the wrong PIN when connecting to a wireless 802.1X network using EAP-TLS
  • KB918334 - Error message when running a Win32 program that makes CreateFile function calls from a client computer to a server
  • MSXML 3.0 SP7 (Includes KB909363 Hotfix)
You could always try to reverse the files these fixes update and see if you find what causes your problem.

Enough rambling from me now, I still think it's a ShellExt problem most of the time (ms installs many ;)).
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:07 am

wise words aserone

soulkeeper: im pretty busy, since u have the time.. yeah u do the testing...may i suggest this as well...
first, try an integration without kels uber.. meaning with rvm 2.1.0 alone
second, if problem persists, try hmm.. i forgot... i think it was xables.. which includes only high priority updates..

this way we'll know if its one of those listed by aserone.

how quick do you think you can complete the testing?

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:44 pm

appears like my linux/samba share went missing after running the inf.... anything related? ill need to do more testing tho..

other than that, it seem to be more stable now.... btw, what does it do really?

i can't really comprehend everything in the inf.... but does it like, auto-close programs in less than 2 secs or something......

anyways does it do anything to network share?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:15 pm

if you google for some lines that this inf contains you will probably stumble upon some default reassocian schemes out their
designed mainly to recover machiens that had been hit by pests
you will have to look for other fixes of this sort i just cant remember right now where they are at ,GooGle hmm..may be start @Kelly's Korner and look for terms restoring defaults ..

once you have them ...best thing i can think of is to keep those various reassocian entries ready at hand
* backup the whole registry
* backup thoes particular entries first ,compair them first to the ones you are about to import ,start a test
* do a reg shot , see if adding a particular reassocian made some change to explorer or something else, look for what had changed in reg

later do the same with some apps
EDIT : ok found them all here http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
just for the fun theirs a none free app that lets view all the schemes of associan in the registry well so it seems

+ these re pretty much the rules to create shell.ext
link dont skip Read!
link this too

ok hope all this info helps some ;)
Last edited by ENU_user on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 pm

i did google for it, found threads at annoyances.org.... some 50 posts long... lol ... nevermind, ill figure it out ;) thanks

i thought since you wrote it, you'd know how many components its composed of.. so at least i know whats going on.... no excuses from me, ill just need to check each line.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 am

i think the main one you need to look at is the exe one now that i have found the link
so you can narrow it down even more
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Edit: directory one
Last edited by ENU_user on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.