"Sudden" problems with slipstream

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
zenmachine

"Sudden" problems with slipstream

Post by zenmachine » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:19 pm

A quick introduction - I've been creating slipstreams for my own and friends' use for a few months now - I've got intermediate competency with general computer / windows use, but haven't delved into the intricacies of update packs / addons myself. Instead I've been relying on the (excellent) work of people mainly on this board to create some pretty slick slipstream installation cds.
My procedure that has worked to date (though it may be convoluted)
1. integrate Ryan's 2.0.X update pack & RVM addons w/ the RVM Integrator
2. using nLite
-add drivers
-some nLite-only addons (dotNet 1.1 / 2.0, java, etc - as I said, I haven't been able understand how to install some of these automatically using "switchless" installers)
-strip out unneeded drivers, windows components, tweak windows visual effects
-until all these problems occured I also used the nLite to toggle uxtheme/SFC/USB/TCP/IP themes options
3. manually copy in my WINNT.SIF file to I386
4. use CDIMAGEGUI to create an ISO
Recently I disobeyed my own (and lots of other people's) rules by doing about eight new things all at once:
1. upgraded to nlite 1.0f
2. upgraded to RVM 1.3.0
3. switched from 2.0.6 to .7
4. changed a few of the RVM addons I normally use
5. added some drivers to the nlite part of my operation
6. without interim testing I read something about needing to use a WGA remover now and blindly started integrating (I think it was Kels, at the time) a WGA remover addon
7. I'm sure I managed to change something else too :(
8. ^ yeah

Now a bunch of files are missing during the blue screen filecopy process : off the top of my head, it starts with amdk6.sys, amdk7.sys, ks.sys, and also includes WGAtray.exe and another WGA(something) file... after ignoring these setup hangs at the end of the "detecting hardware" phase...

I'm stumped : I've tried to go back to various previously working configs, and nothing seems to work ... Ahh!!!

For reference I'm using 2.0.7a , WGA remove_v4, (though I've tried _NOT_using a WGA remover and it still hangs / misses files)

Any help would be very much appreciated, and I'd also like to thank all the addon makers again (Ryan, MrsP, Kels, all the others!!!)
Last edited by zenmachine on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:45 pm

Short of using the scientific method (change one thing, test, repeat) I don't know where to begin.

I've heard of issues between nLite and RVM Integrator 1.3, but I can't confirm them. Perhaps you should try reverting to a previous version of the Integrator for use with nLite until RVM Integrator 1.4 is released with the next Update Pack.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Try starting over with a fresh CD. Sounds like something got corrupted along the way.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:55 am

RyanVM wrote:Try starting over with a fresh CD. Sounds like something got corrupted along the way.
Which was what I was going to say.
Oh, and check your MD5 hashes on your downloads.

zenmachine

Post by zenmachine » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 am

I'm working on the scientific method part - but like I said I really screwed up and changed a bunch of things at once (so the combinations of potential issues are exponential?!?!)
I was mainly hoping for an "ah ha - you did _this_ and just need to do _this_ to fix it" type of response heh.
I'm about to redo everything from my original XP cd, just waiting for the files to copy...
Would anyone care to give a quick explaination of how to "check MD5 hashes?"
Sub question to the above.... does it make sense that renaming an update pack screws up the "hash" and it subsequently can't be integrated? (My ignorance of exactly how "hashes" work is probably painfully evident)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:51 am

Look into using HashTab, which is a handy extension for checking and comparing file hashes. Addon creators as a rule post the MD5 Hash of their CAB files so users can check for corrupted downloads.

Hashes are calculated based on the contents of the file. The file's name does not change its hash, but the Integrator looks at the filename to determine what kind of file it is: "UpdatePack" and "Addon" are required in the filenames for this purpose.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:38 am

MD5 Hashes are easy to check - the integrator calculates them and puts them in the log :). Just check the log and compare the calculated hash to what's given on the website/thread for the file.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

zenmachine

Post by zenmachine » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Would anyone happen to have a link to the old version of the integrator kicking around? I can't find it for the life of me... Google's let me down... or maybe I'm not the Google-ninja I thought I was :[

zenmachine

Post by zenmachine » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:19 am

How much desktop tweaking / component removal can be done via the integrator? I ask because that's my only motivation to use nLite at all...

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:11 pm

How much can be done is limited only to the imagination, ingenuity and information possessed by who ever makes the tweaking/removal/whatever addon.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16 pm

The integrator can do anything now. Like Zacam states. It can do as well as the person(s) making addons. The capabilities are just about endless. ;) If the integrator can't do it... let me know and I will do my best to make it possible. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:25 am

Well, since you put it that way......the integrator could use a serial bus communications protocol to communicate to my coffee pot so that it knows how much coffee to make for me while I'm waiting for it to process everything I've just told it to do...... *thbbbbbbpt!* :-)

zenmachine

Post by zenmachine » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 am

This has likely been covered but I can't find references regarding how to integrate desktop tweaks..?

++ by "desktop tweaks" I mean personalized ones, perhaps such as wallpaper, pre-configuring "Winroll," disabling System Restore....

Again, sorry for any redundant questioning...