Windows Tweaks / Personalization

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
zenmachine

Windows Tweaks / Personalization

Post by zenmachine » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 am

How much desktop tweaking / component removal can be done via the integrator? I ask because that's my only motivation to use nLite at all...

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:38 am

I imagine it would be possible to create a modified version Entries setup thread to make a specific thread for adding tweaks...

But to make it as robust as nLite we would have to make use of [ExtraFileEdits], which is not something I have had much play with yet.

To plot the thread I would have to say...first section would be the begining of the Entries file and we could post our findings for different tweaks.

I would say that it would be best to just post the code...seeing as it would be more of a DIYDS (Do it your damn self) thread. And I would have to request that anyone posting should post both the [ExtraFileEdits] way and the INF way...but I know that won't happen.

I have been debugging some other packs (which is seeing some good progress) and as soon as I get around to it I would be willing to start this thread...but I wouldn't hold your breath...lol

Maybe someone can even make a Tweaks Addon Creator tool.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:00 am

orcoxp wrote:Maybe someone can even make a Tweaks Addon Creator tool.
yeah, it would be very nice and helpful...
i have some ideas, if sb wants to make one...

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:41 am

Gaining an ability to import a user defined .reg file for tweaks would be great! Sweet and simple. Apply all of the tweaks to the default machine and/or default user before anything else gets taken care of.

Services? Those could probably be handled through the .reg too although as a group we'd have to do some noodling and testing to ident all of the keys for the windows-installed default services. Some 'nlite-like' (sorry) sanity checking of service auto-man-sys-disable settings would be great but not wholly necessary.

In general people shouldn't be messing with .reg files if they don't know all of the implications. I feel that one of the downfalls of nlite is that nuhi and Co. are trying to make it idiot proof. They get close, then along comes a better idiot.
Last edited by newsposter on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:02 pm

no more discussion on nlite, as i will not use it anymore (as i didnt use), and also i will not add nlite entries in my addons, will edit them ASAP.
and about this idea, liked your thoughts newsposter, did utry xable's winrar, it has a cmd like ui, u choose an option in that window. If you choose registered version of WinRAR, it wants you to put rarreg.key file in the same directory. In the same way, sb can make an addon like that, and that addon takes tweaks*.reg file in it, then makes an addon. this way we can use tweaks as we like, just need that addon maker... no need for a standart tweaks file, so anybody can use it...
maybe should contact xable about this, as that winrar addon maker is an exe, needs programming knowledge...

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:49 pm

I keep track of my tweaks via Registry Tweaker (www.registrytweaker.net) as well as the 'master' tweaks file that sometimes pops up on msfn.

Before nlite, I used to just double click my personal .reg file and that would be it. Recently nlites tweaker has become completely unreliable/inconsistant so I've dumped that and gone back to my known-good .reg file.

I've lost track of the number of times that users have asked nuhi to include a .reg import capablity.

Anyway, this isn't an nlite issue at all (and I'll shut up about it). What we're asking for is an ability, within the RVMIntegrator or via an addon, to grab and apply a user-supplied .reg file.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:16 pm

Importing .reg files is only one of many possible ways to go. Don't forget INF files. With Reg2Inf it's possible to make files that can modify registry settings. As an INF file, it can be made into an addon to be applied on the system as a system default rather than a user mode setting. As well, an addon could also be made with integrators newer sections to directly edit the registry keys that other windows applications or even windows setup INITIALLY creates by modifying the INF's that contain those keys.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:34 pm

To me, .reg and .inf files are equal, I really have no preference as to how they are stored, maintained, or imported into a new system.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:05 pm

I also forgot to mention that reg files can be called to by an integrator addon to include the contents of a reg file to the registry. All you need to is to declare an INF that calls to regedit to import the .reg file. (say, via a runonce entry or somesuch.)

If you're talking about having integrator disiminate a reg file and apply the contents where necessary, well, that's a tich more complicated and probably not a very viable solution. Though I am one that thinks that having an ability to either simply apply a .reg file or a means during processing (without externally doing it before hand) to convert a .reg to .inf (or even the other way around) would be interesting to see.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:37 pm

LIke I said, I'm neutral on the tech details of an implementation.