Question on packs and registry

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
MrWoo

Question on packs and registry

Post by MrWoo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi.
I have some questions. I have been slipstreaming xp for awhile now. I used a lot of AutoIt scripts to install different apps at the runonceex stage. Got most of that info from MSFN forums. I have been able to install most of my stuff ok. I realized tho, that the cpl packs can do the same thing, but in a different manner. So now I am looking to give them a try at installing my apps for me. Similar to the AdAware addon pack.

So, I can use installRite. Get the files and registry. I can use reg2inf to convert it to inf format. I am still somewhat sketchy on inf's. I bookmarked Gosh's site last year, as the index does not work, for me at least, and there are a few different pages relating to inf's on that website.

Anyway, how does registering a file like a .dll work? I know it is stored in the registry. However, what I am unsure about is typically it is registered with a call. When installRite pulls the registry entries, especially the CLSID sections, is that the actual registration? And the ID's ( ie {a430v70093adj88980} ) that it shows, are those machine specific? Or are they file/app specific? In other words, do I need to call the registration, or can I use the add/mod/deleted registry values pulled from the installRite (or installWatch) image?

Furthermore, is this going to be achievable. That is, using an addon pack to preinstall my applications?

Thanks for any help,
MrWoo