Problem installing RMV updated XP with RIS

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Tabasco

Problem installing RMV updated XP with RIS

Post by Tabasco » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:46 am

I played with RIS installation and tried to use RVM Update Pack. Got an error message: Setup cannot copy file: kbdbhc.dll - and there are many more if I Esc this one. When I created a CD - it installed fine. Is it a feature to prevent commercial usage? :rolleyes:

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 am

check out rougespears info.. he has been playing with RIS installs for a looooong time :)

he might be able to point ya in the right direction

TechnoHunter

RyanVM
Site Admin

Re: Problem installing RMV updated XP with RIS

Post by RyanVM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Tabasco wrote:Is it a feature to prevent commercial usage? :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm

No it isn't to prevent commercial usage. We just haven't implemented any ris stuff yet. But Roguespear is the man to talk to about ris. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Sesshoumaru

Post by Sesshoumaru » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:34 pm

you didnt try to use nlite after ryans pack, right ? :p

Tabasco

Post by Tabasco » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:01 am

You mean to nlite RVMed distributive or use nlite instead of RVM integrator? Not yet, but perhaps I should give a try to nlite too. I don't like that it leaves some footprints on the XP distributive. Ryan wrote "Don't use RVM integrator after you used nlite!" I suppose this means nlited distributive is limited in some ways... Who knows what results it may suddenly produce in future... Unless I exactly know what those footprints are and find out how to clean that garbage out of nlited distributive - I don't feel like using it. Do you know if RVM integrator leaves any footprints on the distributive?

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:31 am

Tabasco wrote:You mean to nlite RVMed distributive or use nlite instead of RVM integrator? Not yet, but perhaps I should give a try to nlite too. I don't like that it leaves some footprints on the XP distributive. Ryan wrote "Don't use RVM integrator after you used nlite!" I suppose this means nlited distributive is limited in some ways... Who knows what results it may suddenly produce in future... Unless I exactly know what those footprints are and find out how to clean that garbage out of nlited distributive - I don't feel like using it. Do you know if RVM integrator leaves any footprints on the distributive?
In the nLite EULA I think it actually states that commercial use of nLited versions is forbidden.. Which would make it illegal.

Don't use nLite myself so i'm not sure, but I read it somewhere.

But I wouldn't use nLite in a commercial setting for any reason, it's more like a toy then a serious deployment utility.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am

I spoke with nuhi long ago when I first came out with the idea for AutoRIS and he didn't have an issue with it. I don't want to speak for him, but the idea I get is that having his EULA read as it does may help to protect him from any civil action.

I should probably contact him again now that AutoRIS is retired and AutoImage has taken it's place. As far as it being a toy.. hardly. I don't want to start a religious war here anything, but one of the things I have always used nLite for is removing some potentially dangerous components from my installs. I've been using it that way successfully for well over a year now.

nLite can be extremely dangerous in the hands of someone who is the "bull in a china shop" type. But it can be extremely helpful for those who know what they're doing and do it with restraint.

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 pm

@Roguespear: If your answer was directed at me (hard to tell with no quote) I really really didn't mean to make such a "harsh" statement aginst nLite and as you say it can be handy, I've actually captured every change it does with alot of things (which makes it obsolete when converted to Integrator style *.ini files) so I think it can be helpful for people who know what there doing.

What I don't like is all the "extra" things that it does automated and hidden from the avarage user, e.g. syssetub.dll/syssetup.dll changing/hacking.

Finally please don't missunderstand anything I've written, I have the biggest respect for you and your knowledge!

So all I wanted to do was inform the thread starter about the possible problem with using nLite in a commercial setting. ;)
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Aserone wrote:What I don't like is all the "extra" things that it does automated and hidden from the avarage user, e.g. syssetub.dll/syssetup.dll hacking.
This is something I'm not fond of as well. I prefer to have things more out in the open.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking offense to anything, and I certainly wouldn't claim to have superior knowledge. I guess I just felt compelled to respond regarding the commercial use issue since I don't want anyone thinking that I'm taking liberties above and beyond what I should be with AutoImage. I'm not entirely comfortable with the imposed restriction myself, but I have to assume he has his reasons for imposing it as such.

Tabasco

Setup cannot copy the file: kbdbhc.dll

Post by Tabasco » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create an XP RIS distributive updated with RVM213, and whatever I do - when I start PXE client installation in VMWare I run into the same problem - the error message:

Setup cannot copy the file: kbdbhc.dll

Now I used Windows XP Gold and AutoImage v0.1.9.0 to:

1. slipstream SP2,
2. convert files to uppercase,
3. start RVM 1.4.2 to integrate RVMUpdatePack2.1.3.7z,
4. start DriverPacks BASE to integrate latest Chipset and CPU drivers,
5. create VRMPVOL_EN.iso,
6. used Daemon Tools to mount the image,
7. used Windows 2003 server R2 RIS setup wizard running in VMWare 5.5.2 to upload it to the RIS Server.

Is it a wrong procedure or what is the problem?

Please help. Thank you.

ViVa

Re: Problem installing RMV updated XP with RIS

Post by ViVa » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 am

Tabasco wrote:Is it a feature to prevent commercial usage? :rolleyes:
:lol: yeah, that would definitely be it.