Purely RVM Integrator... No more nLite.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
maveric73ph

Purely RVM Integrator... No more nLite.

Post by maveric73ph » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 pm

Hey RVM pros, I have decided to use the RVM Integrator to fully create my UA Windows XP installer. I currently use both RVM and nLite and I am currently having issues using both with the new updates and addons. So I decided it would be best to use only one tool ---> RVM. Besides, Ryan's site is always active and current with updates and addons. More and more for all.

This however, poses some disadvantages for me. I use nLite to do the Windows Tweaks and setting Unattended install stuff like
"Windows' Product Key",
"Username",
"Password",
"Network Settings" etc.
I also use nLite to remove alot of languages and unicodes I won't use ever.

I have looked everywhere here for instructions on how to do those things with addons but I can't find any (or maybe I'm just too stupid). Do I have to do it myself? If I have to, can anyone point me to a link where I can learn it?

Also, where can I find a tutorial to learn how to make Update Packs like Ryan? Maybe I can make an Update Pack for my own use with all the settings and addons I like.

Ooops by the way, can you load all of the addons you like with one (1) customized Update Pack?

Thanks all!!!
:D

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:07 pm

The updatepacks are pretty hard to make. That is why there isn't much info on how it is done exactly. It basically consists of recording the reg entries changed after installing each hotfix and recording each file that is updated. The reg is converted to an inf that is used during windows setup.

There is a post on the forum that has some info on how to create updatepacks/addons. Some addons are simple to make and others are pretty difficult and take patients to learn. There are a few programs people have made to help simplify the addon creation process. Creature Addon, our official reg2inf... and so on.

A lot of what we do here isn't documented very well... I know. :( Hopefully we will have time someday to really work on documenting a lot of tricks and tutorials. So far the best way to learn is to look at others addons and get an idea of what is done.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

maveric73ph

Post by maveric73ph » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:54 am

Whoa Siginet himself! Thank you very much for your reply.

OK, I'll just leave Ryan with the Update Packs. But can I use addons with the Product Key, Remove Specific unused languages and Windows Tweaks that nLite offers? Can I do those things with any of the other member's tools that are posted here?

Thanks again!

choman

Post by choman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:08 am

Just my 2 cents

You can get the removal information for most things from these two web sites. make sure you rftm, some of these may still have issues:

Most Removals: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1769
Lang removals: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1535

The inserting of the product key and admin passwd are just winnt.inf entries. Take a look at http://unattended.msfn.org. I personally use Power Packer to copy this and create a multiboot, but if that's too much and you lazy, well you can script it.

Hope this helps.

pretender69

Post by pretender69 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:12 pm

haven't personally tested this, but will soon as i have problems with other appz that do the same.

http://www.winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

CMan

easy nlite

Post by CMan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:17 am

choman wrote: The inserting of the product key and admin passwd are just winnt.inf entries. Take a look at http://unattended.msfn.org.
The MSFN forums also have tons of extra information for customizing everything you want to do.

As far as making a quick registry change setup. I discovered a year ago that if you just make registry changes, Nlite won't go to all the trouble of unpacking and repacking files to hide your changes. Instead it will create a file, nlite.in_ or nlite.inf in your distrubtion folders. This is run from cmdlines.txt in your $OEM$ folder.

I'm not sure of the exact command to run it but nlite should insert it into cmdlines.txt for you. Something I've always done is expand the nlite.in_ file, edit it with all the little changes I wanted and place it into $OEM$\$$\Inf. This will then result in it being copied to the INF folder in your windows directory. Finally, remove all traces of nlite.in_ from txtsetup.txt (I think thats the extension, its in your I386).

If you decide to try this method, use M$ Virtual PC to test it since it'll probably take a couple tries to perfect the inf command and make sure Windows Setup doesn't complain that you moved the file.

The nice thing about using this method is that I can have multiple versions of XP, with different Addons and Driverpacks, where my registry settings are only applied to the 'Full' version. All I have to do is place a cmdlines.txt without the nlite command into the other versions and presto, a clean install.

To get rid of all extra languages, just delete the lang folder in I386. Doesn't help if you need a second language but fast and easy if you don't.

If your reason for doing all this is so that you don't have to run Nlite everytime Ryan updates a pack, just make a copy of your nlited source with components removed before you run integrator. It's not like your going to be changing the required languages and components with every install. I'd still say to seperate the registry change INF since I find I do have to change occasionally.

And keep in mind, INF's handle registry changes with different formatting. Copy the formatting used in an existing INF, look at the 'Make a New Addon Tutorials' or use Google to find out more.

Good luck

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:35 am

I strip the languages n drivers out with nlite and make it unattended, then i do all the RVM integrator/pack things.

It;s apain to switch between 2 programs but when your working on a 5 OS disc space is god.
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:54 pm

i have read somewhere here that you should use first integrator then nlite, because nlite can make changes to files that integrator needs.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:15 am

MrNxDmx wrote:i have read somewhere here that you should use first integrator then nlite, because nlite can make changes to files that integrator needs.
It makes since to add first with the integrator then remove with nlite after.

You can't remove what hasen't been added yet.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

nolook

Edumacational.

Post by nolook » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:58 am

I recently decided to try to customize my install disks without nLite. It's a good product, and I'll still play with it, but I decided to try and learn to do more things manually for my own edification.

For winnt.sif, I went through each item on this MSFN page along with the ref.chm file from this Microsoft page. Obviously there are more customizations you can make, and I'm tweaking on those as well, but you get the idea. I'm no genius, so if I can follow it, you should be just fine.

nolook

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Actually the integrator also has ways of editing winnt.sif with addons as well. There is a section that can be used in your entries files called [WinntSif] It is very easy to use and it allows you to add/remove things from an existing winnt.sif file. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:37 am

When did that show up and where did it get documented? Because if it did, I missed it entirely. (And I saved anything release notes related for Integrator to build the product manual.)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:52 am

That really should be possible using the extra file edits section right?

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 am

That's about what I figured and lo and behold, there actually a specific section for it? Learn something new all the time, that's what I love about this place.

(and no, that was not sarcastic.)