what's the best order of mods to build a stable XP cd?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ophiel

what's the best order of mods to build a stable XP cd?

Post by ophiel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:33 pm

i usually do things in this order:

RVM Integrator
NLite
Driverpacks

is there a better order to do things, and if so why?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:54 pm

That order is correct.

You've been here long enough to know by now--to have seen quite a few posts asking the same question. Believe what you already seem to know. ;)

The only advice I can give you is not to get carried away adding things with the Integrator, or taking things away with nLite. Test always.

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:14 am

I personally used Nlite to create a shrunk and tweaked windows, then as driver packs and updates/addons are released, i only have to apply them to that version.

Of course, i have a ShrunkWindows ISO, just extract it, use Integrator, then DriverPacks... works flawlessly for me.
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG

ophiel

Post by ophiel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:29 am

5eraph wrote:That order is correct.

You've been here long enough to know by now--to have seen quite a few posts asking the same question. Believe what you already seem to know. ;)

The only advice I can give you is not to get carried away adding things with the Integrator, or taking things away with nLite. Test always.
you give me way too much credit ;) i haven't been around too long, but i did mostly think i was going about it the right way. i was however basing my knowledge on many assumptions and rudimentary observations...so i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything because my builds are becoming increasingly important.

Fox2

Post by Fox2 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 am

Other question from a newcomer: why does it matter what order ther various processes are done? if each one (RVM, nLite) adds things to the install build in a correct way, and reads the build for things included in the correct way, presumably it shouldn't make any difference which order they are applied or whether they are re-applied at a later date (eg to tweak an existing build), since each application of RVM and nLite only modifies standard places and references in the build.

If I'm misunderstanding, and either RVM or nLite can create a build thats not updatable or put together in a standard manner, could someone just clarify what it is that "breaks" the build?

(I am assuming here that components can be added and removed without actually creating such a custom build that it can't be re-updated for future hotfixes and changes)

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but its probably a good one to ask before assuming :)

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 am

ponder the following :: the integrator and the update pack are designed to update a STOCK windows xp install.. all hotfixes and such included with the update pack effect files that exist in said install..

nlite can/has been used to remove items from said install..

tell me which should be used first :) a stock install that is then updated.. or a nlited install (with its missing files/folders/items ) that you then try to update with a update pack that tries to modify/replace/update files that no longer exist?

hence the order mentioned above :)

TechnoHunter