Questions from a newbie

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Master Wolfe

Questions from a newbie

Post by Master Wolfe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:05 am

First, let me say thanks to everyone who works on these projects... it is much appreciated.
Now for the questions... I don't have any logs etc at the moment to post along with, but I can perhaps do those in the morning if necessary. I've been trying all day to make a new disc with the latest Update Pack 2.1.3, and Integrator 1.4.2, and I keep getting the framedyn error. I've downloaded the file from both the http download and the BT tracker several times, to no avail. I've pulled the files off my copy of XP Pro Corp several times, also to no avail. Any other suggestions? FYI, I have done this a few other times, so I have a general idea, but I am far from the level of expertise you guys show :oops: . But, I am fairly certain I am doing it correctly, as it has worked for me in the past.

Also... just starting playing with the add-ons, and those seem to be a hit and miss thing for me. Not the WPI add-ons, the others. I've done them both along with the update pack, and tried them separately after intergrating the update, and still a hit and miss issue. I am much more competent with hardware (on a hobbyist level) than software, so be gentle :evil: , please.

Is there a particular order to doing add-ons? Do I do them at the same time as the update pack? As I said, I've tried it several ways, and perused the FAQ's and forums, and found no answers. On my way to bed tonight, but I look forward to some help tomorrow. Thanks!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 am

It's more than likely a bad addon causing your problems. Start with a good cd and add them one at a time until you find the culprit.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 am

FGCBA can find the sucker...

Drag and drop either the archived addon (7Z, Rar, etc.) or the uncompressed Entries_Whatever.ini file into FGCBA.exe and it will tell you if one or more of the addons has a typo.

EDIT: Not all the warnings are bad.

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:16 am

:) Thanks guys! I'll go at it some more later today.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:59 pm

I think the most common problem encountered when doing a large amount of addons at once is not so much the corruption of the sysoc.inf file, but the fact that multiple section entries are being created in sysoc.inf. If I recall correctly, there some section data limitation of how many line entries or how many kb's of data each [Section] can hold in an inf.

I, of course, could be confusing that limitation as belonging to INI files instead.....

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:10 pm

That limitation is in ini files and it is a huge limitation. For the most part you would not reach that limitation. I don't think there is a limit in the windows setup inf files.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 pm

It turns out it was, indeed, a bad add-on. Mrs. Peel's utorrent and Filezilla add-ons, to be precise :(. I was able to suss it out using the very handy FGCBA ricktendo pointed out, THANKS! I appreciate y'alls help, much.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:53 am

*blinks*

Erm.....that's a surprise.....I use those two.....not discounting your findings or the fact that it seems to have been relevant to solving your problem (kudos for even having looked as you have) and I know I tend to not do things in the normal fashion, but it's still kinda surprising.

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 am

Zacam wrote:*blinks*

Erm.....that's a surprise.....I use those two.....not discounting your findings or the fact that it seems to have been relevant to solving your problem (kudos for even having looked as you have) and I know I tend to not do things in the normal fashion, but it's still kinda surprising.
I quite agree, particularly as I used them in an earlier install, and they worked fine. But I used the utility, it pointed out that they would likely cause the framedyn error, so I removed them and tried again, and it all came up roses. As I said, I am pretty new to this, so any help or explanation would be appreciated :). Using four letter words or less, thanks! :D

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:16 am

ricktendo64 wrote:EDIT: Not all the warnings are bad.
Just because it does not have a [DefaultInstall] section dosent mean its causing the framedyn.dll error, most likely its another addon with a typo in the Entries.ini file, in the [Sysoc] section.

Did you try to update them yourself?

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:30 am

ricktendo64 wrote:
ricktendo64 wrote:EDIT: Not all the warnings are bad.
Just because it does not have a [DefaultInstall] section dosent mean its causing the framedyn.dll error, most likely its another addon with a typo in the Entries.ini file, in the [Sysoc] section.

Did you try to update them yourself?
Hmm, I just did the FGCBA again with the Filezilla add-on, and it seems good. However, earlier, I was getting the message about causing a framedyn.dll error...... NOT the no default install error. As to updating them myself, I have no idea where to start :(

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:38 am

As long as an [OptionalComponents] section is available and it's formated correctly there is nothing that would cause for an addon of this type to cause a framedyn.dll error. Malformed ini registration commands and a badly spaced-up .sif or .inf file will, however.

Some malformed sysoc.inf entries for example may not come to light because they don't have any entries after them to "highlight" the problem because they're all accorded to the order in which they're integrated.