MacBook XP/Bootcamp Problem

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Keladon

MacBook XP/Bootcamp Problem

Post by Keladon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:05 am

This is a weird, pathetic problem that I desperately need some help on...any advice would be really welcomed at this point. :(

A quick rundown:

I'm operating on an Apple MacBook Pro using their Bootcamp program to run Windows. I have two legit copies of XP, an OEM SP2 disc that came with my Dell. And an upgrade XP home disc I first got years ago when I upgraded from Win98 on a home built machine.

I used my XP disc from Dell since it already had SP2 and slipstreamed it using RyanVM Integrator. Worked fine. until I realized when I went to activate the OS that it wouldn't accept my upgrade CD key.

Furthermore, after contemplating reinstalling with my Upgrade disc I realized I couldn't. Even if I slipstreamed SP2 in, it would still want me to verify it with my Win98 CD, which I have.

The stupid problem, however, is Macs don't have an EJECT button like every other device. We have a key. And until the Mac drivers are installed AFTER the OS is installed, I cannot remove the CD.

So....

Is there someway to make WinXP take my legit upgrade key? Or is there a way to slipstream my Upgrade disc to avoid asking for the Win98 CD?

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:44 am

An activation crack would be illegal, and I know from having read the forums that Ryan VM doesn't tolerate discussions about that sort of thing.

I can't think of any legal way to resolve your issue. Maybe someone here smarter than me can.

Edit: Purchase Windows XP Retail would be a solution, but I realize that's probably not what you're looking for.

rf12

Post by rf12 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:41 am

What I've done with my Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade is that I made a new disc, putting everything on the Windows 98 CD on the same disc as Windows 2000. To do that, copy the contents of the Windows 2000 Pro Upgrade CD into a folder on my hard drive, then copy the contents of Windows 98 CD into the SAME folder as the Win 2000 Pro Upgrade, burn a copy (bootable of course) and install, and it worked for me. Since the two CDs combined exceeds 700 (I think), you probably need a DVD to burn the disc. The installation will still ask for your previous version of Windows, just press enter to continue.

Hope that it works for XP + bootcamp

Good luck!

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:11 pm

rf12 wrote:What I've done with my Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade is that I made a new disc, putting everything on the Windows 98 CD on the same disc as Windows 2000.
Smart! That's a great idea.

Keladon

Post by Keladon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 pm

rf12 wrote:What I've done with my Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade is that I made a new disc, putting everything on the Windows 98 CD on the same disc as Windows 2000. To do that, copy the contents of the Windows 2000 Pro Upgrade CD into a folder on my hard drive, then copy the contents of Windows 98 CD into the SAME folder as the Win 2000 Pro Upgrade, burn a copy (bootable of course) and install, and it worked for me. Since the two CDs combined exceeds 700 (I think), you probably need a DVD to burn the disc. The installation will still ask for your previous version of Windows, just press enter to continue.

Hope that it works for XP + bootcamp

Good luck!
Wow that is clever. Going to dash out to Staples and pick up some blank DVDs to try it out...

Thanks!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Try it in VirtualPC for free first ;)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Keladon

Post by Keladon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Ok, got my DVD blanks.
Copying Upgrade XP Home Edition CD now
Will slipstream using method at http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... stream.asp
Then apply post SP2 updates by RyanVM Integrator

Last question until I install...is there a way to have the Integrator copy my Win98 cd in when it creates the ISO and burns the disc, or will I need to do this manually?

Edit-- Also, what do I do about filename overlap? Both XP and 98 have a setup.exe file along with a few ini files I believe.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:19 am

Keladon wrote:Ok, got my DVD blanks.
Copying Upgrade XP Home Edition CD now
Will slipstream using method at http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... stream.asp
Then apply post SP2 updates by RyanVM Integrator

Last question until I install...is there a way to have the Integrator copy my Win98 cd in when it creates the ISO and burns the disc, or will I need to do this manually?

Edit-- Also, what do I do about filename overlap? Both XP and 98 have a setup.exe file along with a few ini files I believe.
I would guess that you should probably copy everything without overwriting. Again, I'm guessing, but the XP Update CD probably looks for some specific files and if it worked for the other guy up there then he must not have overwritten the duplicate filenames, unless there's something missing from the instructions.

I don't know about having the integrator copy the Win98 CD.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:29 am

I was doing the same back when I first got an upgrade ed of me, by memory though setup does not require the whole w98 files only a few needed to get this working same principle.

Cheers
MC.
The Man from Aus

rf12

Post by rf12 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:21 pm

The Win98 files must be copied over manually and should NOT overwrite any of the files on the XP disc. And, like Ryan said, try your CD/DVD on a virtual machine first before you use it (hopefully you have Parallels or you've signed up for VMware Fusion) or use a rewritable.

t0fu

Post by t0fu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:17 am

You cannot transfer windows licenses from an OEM machines to another. They are legally bound to the machine.

To stay completely legal you will need a retail version of xp to put on your mac.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:08 pm

where did he mention oem? and for that matter where in the world can you buy an oem UPGRADE xp (like he said he was using.. upgrade xp)

maybe i missed it -wanders off again-

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:44 pm

TechnoHunter wrote:where did he mention oem? and for that matter where in the world can you buy an oem UPGRADE xp (like he said he was using.. upgrade xp)
Need to read more attentively.... :wink:
Keladon wrote:I have two legit copies of XP, an OEM SP2 disc that came with my Dell. And an upgrade XP home disc I first got years ago when I upgraded from Win98 on a home built machine.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:55 pm

ok ya got me on the OEM :) but still the upgrade version IS a retail version.. there never has been a oem upgrade that i know of..

t0fu

Post by t0fu » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:13 am

The upgrade version only applies to upgrades. Check the license agreement. You are right, the upgrade version is retail but I don't think there are any OEM upgrades out there.

As far as I know the macs do not come with a version of windows to upgrade.

So you will need a full retail version of windows to put it on your mac legally. Whether it be 98,2000, or XP, as long as it is a retail version, the upgrade will apply to it.

This is how our Microsoft rep explained it to me.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:51 pm

i understood the license to read that you needed a valid copy of windows to upgrade from (like you said) but not that you had to have that version currently installed on anything (hence being able to insert a disc as "proof" that you have said version during the install proccess)

i distinctly remember being able to install the win98 upgrade without having to install windows 95 first.. has the wording changed that much since then for upgrade licensing?

and now that we have run this topic a bit off course.. i wonder if the fixes suggested above actually worked for him?