A newbie question

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
djshark

A newbie question

Post by djshark » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:02 am

Hi All,

First of all, happy Thanksgiving!

Secondly. I integrated RVMUpdatePack2.1.3 into my Windows XP installation CD and then installed it on a new computer (works great!).
Now I would like to know if I can somehow integrate the newer version (2.1.4) into an already installed Windows XP on the hard-drive (and not only to a new CD I'm creating).

What I did was to extract the update pack, and then run update.exe. Unfortunately, I get an error: Setup Error: The <a couple of blanks> file is not correct.
I thought this is just like I did in the past, when I wanted to update an existing Windows XP installation to SP1 and later to SP2, I would download the .exe, extract the contents and run update.exe.

If anyone can assist me in this, I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks in advance!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:24 am

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/faq.html
There is no need to update with sp1 then sp2.....use only sp2 to update your source xp disk...then integrate RVMUpdatePack2.1.4.
Last edited by Aussie on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:27 am

You can't install it, only integrate it on a new disc. What I usually do when a new version comes out is view the changelog and install/change everything that has been changed manually.

djshark

Post by djshark » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:21 am

Thanks for the info; after reading the FAQ I went to the AutoPatcher site.
I'll wait until they release the corresponding November patches, but meanwhile create a new CD with the latest RVM.

Thanks again for your help!

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:22 am

What's wrong with Windows/Microsoft Update?