Remote Desktop Connection v6.0

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
m4dh0

Remote Desktop Connection v6.0

Post by m4dh0 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:28 pm

The new vista version of the client is out, could be considered for next version of the update pack ?

Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:49 pm

along with the new scripting shell??

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:01 pm

RDP will be included, yes.

Monad - maybe at some point, but probably not for next month. I really want to get the WMP11/IE7 addons done by the end of the year, so those take priority for now.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

m4dh0

Post by m4dh0 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Powershell (Monad) requires .Net 2.0 to be installed though, or are you thinking of integrating that as well ?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Good point. That makes it less likely then. Would be good for an addon, though :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Looks like WMP11 is finally being pushed through MU as well, I checked it today and I noticed 3 additional optional updates:

m4dh0

Post by m4dh0 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:26 pm

Its on WSUS as well, just pushed them out after the "spanish" incident.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm

already all 3 included in my update pack.

jumz

Post by jumz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm

RyanVM wrote:RDP will be included, yes.

Monad - maybe at some point, but probably not for next month. I really want to get the WMP11/IE7 addons done by the end of the year, so those take priority for now.
Will these be made optional addons? (Sorry if this has been asked before...)
JuMz

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:32 pm

An addon is always optional. ;)

mionica

Post by mionica » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm

I have changed RVM 2.1.4 to include the latest two WU items (Remote Desktop 6 and DRM-SP)

All credit goes to RyanVM and Booggy, I simply updated Ryan's Update Pack with code from Booggy's WUZero pack.

Also, this contains WGA 1.5.716.0 and WGANotify 1.5.560.0 - both are the "friendly" versions, so Ryan, you may want to erase this post.

Enjoy.

Link removed by RyanVM - mionica, please see my PM
Mircea Horea IONICA
mionica@as.ro
+40 (0)766 694495

jumz

Post by jumz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:56 pm

mionica wrote:I have changed RVM 2.1.4 to include the latest two WU items (Remote Desktop 6 and DRM-SP)

All credit goes to RyanVM and Booggy, I simply updated Ryan's Update Pack with code from Booggy's WUZero pack.

Also, this contains WGA 1.5.716.0 and WGANotify 1.5.560.0 - both are the "friendly" versions, so Ryan, you may want to erase this post.

Enjoy.
You must be new here. This is strictly prohibited. I am sure Ryan will take care of this.
JuMz

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Be careful, mionica.
RyanVM wrote:...please do not modify and/or redistribute any of the files on this site without first getting my consent to do so.
EDIT: You beat me to it, jumz.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:00 pm

Oh ow...

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 pm

I would advise creating an add-on with the changes instead of modifying the update pack itself.

mionica

Post by mionica » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Guys,

I'm not taking any credit for the package. It is Ryan's work (and some of Booggy's). I simply did a minor yet nagging update - I like my MU screen blank, and I bet others like it the same way.

If Ryan minds this package, he may very well ask me to remove my post, remove it himself, ban me, or do anything he wants.

You know, it seems to me that Ryan is rather upset by people using his work to boost their own ego by taking credit for it, and if this be his point, I fully approve of it. I'm not doing that - I didn't even bother leaving a trace of myself in that archive. This is just a package I wanted to have, so I did the little work it took and posted it.
Just in the case that others might find it equally useful.

And so it happens that I already received 3 warnings in this thread, while - oh the irony - exactly 3 downloads occured (or so RapidShare tells me).

If Ryan wants my head on a stake for doing this, it's ok with me. I don't mind getting my ass kicked as long as I feel I've done something useful, something which happens not to bring any harm to anyone.

@dougiefresh
I needed change the txtsetup_dirs section, that's why I opted for updating the pack instead of building addons. If I created an addon, it is possible that dir ID collision may occur with other addons, and dir ID collision is certain with future RVMUPs - unless Ryan decides to skip these two (which each uses one txtsetup_dirs entry).
Anyway, this changed UP will become obsolete with the next issue of RVMUP, which is exactly the point - as soon as Ryan has his own version of the pack containing the 2 new updates, mine becomes useless. And this is another good reason to have a changed UP, since nobody is dumb enough to mix 2 UPs, while some may mix my eventual addons with future UPs - which could create problems, including dumb posts in these forums - the kind solved with 'Try adding addons one by one and see if it works'.
Last edited by mionica on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mircea Horea IONICA
mionica@as.ro
+40 (0)766 694495

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm

For your information, I didn't download it. Ryan doesn't want his pack to be modified by third parties so that if something goes wrong, he can't be blamed for it. That's why there are addons, you could make an addon with the changes, and it will have the same result. It would be better to remove the download link, trust me. It is not about taking credit at all.

Besides this, Ryan makes sure you have a blank MU with each new release of his Update Pack (exceptions for .NET 1.1 and 2.0). Each month's second tuesday (December 12 for this month) will bring us new security patches from MS, and mostly 1 week later there is a new Update Pack.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Another point, (from a technical standpoint), don't worry about DirId collision because the integrator renumbers them automatically as they are integrated, so don't worry about releasing the changes as an addon (at least for the rdp 6.0, I want it).

As for wga friendliness, I don't think this forum wants to come under threat of a cease and desist order from M$, so I suggest you remove that link and release rdp 6.0 as an addon or something.

mionica

Post by mionica » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:33 pm

@n7epsilon
Good points, both of them. I only hope nLite (which I favor over RVM Integrator) does the same...

Yep, I'll remove the link, and post addons instead. Soon.

P.S. Do things get that crazy with MS in the USA? I feel that difficult to believe, since there's a forum at www.mydigitallife.info which is dedicated to patching / avoiding / bypassing WGA, including (working!) links to altered code. It's frequently updated, optimized for search engines (!) and it has working suggestions....
Mircea Horea IONICA
mionica@as.ro
+40 (0)766 694495

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:26 pm

I prefer to not take the chance. I've spent a lot of time and effort to get this board to where it is, and I don't want to see it all thrown away because someone posted something they shouldn't have.

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:48 pm

mionica wrote:I needed change the txtsetup_dirs section, that's why I opted for updating the pack instead of building addons. If I created an addon, it is possible that dir ID collision may occur with other addons, and dir ID collision is certain with future RVMUPs - unless Ryan decides to skip these two (which each uses one txtsetup_dirs entry).
Anyway, this changed UP will become obsolete with the next issue of RVMUP, which is exactly the point - as soon as Ryan has his own version of the pack containing the 2 new updates, mine becomes useless. And this is another good reason to have a changed UP, since nobody is dumb enough to mix 2 UPs, while some may mix my eventual addons with future UPs - which could create problems, including dumb posts in these forums - the kind solved with 'Try adding addons one by one and see if it works'.
First, my account has been down for 24 hours due to pending account reactivation. Sorry for not being able to reply sooner. Also, please do not take what I'm about to say wrong. It is simply meant as advice, as well as referring you to necessary info.

Second, I applaud your efforts at contributing (and yes, I know RyanVM has replied on this) (I see that the link has been removed, as well). However, at the bottom of http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html and http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn, you'll notice the banner regarding changing the update pack. I suggest adhering to it.

Third, regarding WGA "friendiless", please read this thread: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1225. Self-explanatory, I think. Especially the part about two people being banned in a single day....

Fourth, I really look forward to an add-on with these modifications in them. I'm sure it will be great work!