Is it possible to add updates into the SP2 pack itself?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
XStylus

Is it possible to add updates into the SP2 pack itself?

Post by XStylus » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:24 am

I work as a computer tech at a local retail store, and part of our normal duties is to install SP2 into new machines. Lately, our workload is starting to add up in that now we're having to install the SP2 update (which takes anywhere from an hour to a half hour) and also install the latest fixes off of Microsoft's site, which can take another 15 minutes to half an hour. That may not seem like much time, but multiply that by the amount of computers we see each day (plus the usual impatience of customers) and one tends to look for ways of streamlining the process.

I've been tinkering with the SP2 update pack itself so that I only have to run it, walk away, and when I come back all the essential updates are loaded, ready to go. I've had mixed success in adding the updates, as some are more cooperative to this than others. Either way, it's a major pain, as is the testing.

I was wondering if Ryan had looked into the possibility of providing instructions on how to add his update pack into the SP2 update pack. You'd be doing a huge time-saving favor to computer techs such as myself.

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:11 am

Xstylus,

You might want to check out this forum over as MSFN. We're working on a way to make a CD that you just drop in the machine, it auto-installs SP2, reboots, and then auto installs all the updates after SP2 automatically. We're still jumping on issues of getting some of the programs and fixes to install silently and we are getting to know RunOnceEx and RunOnce better to try and make it run the post-SP2 hotfixes after the SP2 installation.

Hope this helps,
--Leviathan

XStylus

Post by XStylus » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:00 pm

leviathan wrote:Xstylus,

You might want to check out this forum over as MSFN.
Would you happen to have a link to that forum and post?

Thanks,
-Troy

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:34 pm

Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks Ryan. Maybe I should post it next time. It was in the clipboard... :)

XStylus

Post by XStylus » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:26 pm

leviathan wrote:Thanks Ryan. Maybe I should post it next time. It was in the clipboard... :)
Ugh. Checked it out and it looks like quite a sloppy method. What it looks like they're proposing to do is implement the updates via batch files, and installing the fixes requires user input. I already tried my own method of that a few months back, and the results sucked.

I want a method where I can drop in a CD, walk away for an hour (so that I can tend to other machines), come back and SP2 with additional fixes are completely installed.

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:54 am

I want a method where I can drop in a CD, walk away for an hour (so that I can tend to other machines), come back and SP2 with additional fixes are completely installed.
That is the ultimate goal of the project we are working on. You drop in the CD, the batch files autoruns, silently installing SP2 without user input and rebooting, followed by the automatic running of the post-SP2 updates via a batch file that will install silently. There are a few updates that need some work to make silent. But the ultimate goal is what you are talking about. Dropping in a CD, it runs silently, and getting everything installed should be the outcome. Hopefully it won't take much time. That depends on the machine specs, of course.

I disagree with your assessment that the method is sloppy. It isn't the greatest way to do upgrades, but for some of us techs, we haven't the option to format. This is the best method I can see right now. However, to each their own.

war59312

Post by war59312 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:29 am

never mind
God Bless America