For ones want Microsoft Update integrated

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
MrNxDmX

For ones want Microsoft Update integrated

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 am

Hi all,
everyone uses ryans 1.3.1 pack i think.when u go to mu, u just click somewhere and thats all, its installed on ur machine. But what about fully integrating it? Is there anyway to do that Ryan?
I saw muweb_site.cab, containing "muweb.cat, muweb.dll, and muweb.inf".
We have muweb.dll in ur pack.If we try to integrate muweb.cat, what happens? Is there any way to do that?

Just for people using MU, not for the update pack..

Thanks

buletov

Post by buletov » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:47 pm

Ryan did all he could to accomplish this... he said something like a 'no success so far' and we all trust him.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:06 pm

ok then, i wish there was a way.so thats good enough for us.

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:08 pm

If someone one's to look at it, use Regmon, Filemon, etc whatever tools to see what happens when you install Microsoft Update through Windows Update site we could examine that information for further usage

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:18 pm

hp38guser wrote:If someone one's to look at it, use Regmon, Filemon, etc whatever tools to see what happens when you install Microsoft Update through Windows Update site we could examine that information for further usage
i am making a new cd with 1.3.3, will make that when finished.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:52 pm

Good luck with that. I can tell that both nuhi and I have tried unsuccesfully to get Tools...Windows Update to default to MU. I think MS plans to move everything to MU anyway eventually, though. That'll make life easier :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:05 am

RyanVM wrote:Good luck with that. I can tell that both nuhi and I have tried unsuccesfully to get Tools...Windows Update to default to MU. I think MS plans to move everything to MU anyway eventually, though. That'll make life easier :P
yep, lets hope so.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:01 am

MU? Is that that new update thing where it has to verify that your system has been activated first? That could be why it doesn't work correctly. I hate that stupid thing I have to go and reactivate my system before I can even attempt to use it which is a pia due to the fact that I usually don't do that for at least a few days until I make sure that everything is working correctly first. You may have to implement that stupid Genuine Check first and crack it so that it says you have activated your computer, which I don't reccomend doing as it may go against the TOS.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:22 am

No, that's WGA. Microsoft Update is just Windows Update and Office Update rolled into one (and to all you pedantic people out there, I know it can technically do more than that, but let's keep it simple)

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:23 am

Where can i download Microsoft Update?
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:27 am

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

1.3.1 already includes the necessary DLLs for it. You'll just need to go through the few steps right at the beginning to "activate" it.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:28 am

cool, thanx Ryan.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:43 am

Oooook, now I see the difference. WU only does Windows itself, while MU does Windows and it's other programs like office and stuff. WU also requires that you have activated your PC before it will work, not sure about MU yet though.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:50 am

It doesn't matter if you use WU or MU. Microsoft is not going to let you download their stuff until you have activated your windows. :rolleyes:

I don't really see what the big problem with activation is, unless you have a warez copy of windows. It takes like 5 seconds to activate, probably longer over the phone but I've never done that yet.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 am

dale5605 wrote:It doesn't matter if you use WU or MU. Microsoft is not going to let you download their stuff until you have activated your windows. :rolleyes:

I don't really see what the big problem with activation is, unless you have a warez copy of windows. It takes like 5 seconds to activate, probably longer over the phone but I've never done that yet.
No probs with mu or wu, just replaced legitcheckcontrol.dll with a hacked one and vadaaaa, all working.
But this MU integration, or switching from WU to MU is a very hard job to find, nothing i can see, whats happening to ur windows while that happens, even with regmon or filemon, too hard :x

PsiMoon314

Replace WU with MU in IE Tools Menu?

Post by PsiMoon314 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:49 am

Hi Ryan,
Good luck with that. I can tell that both nuhi and I have tried unsuccesfully to get Tools...Windows Update to default to MU. I think MS plans to move everything to MU anyway eventually, though. That'll make life easier
Would it be possible to add a new menu item to the Tools menu in IE for Microsoft Update rather than trying to change the existing Windows Update entry?

I see that MU adds a item to the Start Menu to go directly to MU so would that also work within the Tools menu, if you could get a menu item there that is?

Kind Regards

Simon

JoeUser99

Re: Replace WU with MU in IE Tools Menu?

Post by JoeUser99 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:06 pm

PsiMoon314 wrote: Would it be possible to add a new menu item to the Tools menu in IE for Microsoft Update rather than trying to change the existing Windows Update entry?
Once Microsoft Update is installed, doesn't it redirect it?
But rather than add a menu item, you can change the text of the existing one.

For example, the following will change it to read Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"Windows Update Menu Text"="Microsoft Update"

MrNxDmX

Re: Replace WU with MU in IE Tools Menu?

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 pm

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi Ryan,
Would it be possible to add a new menu item to the Tools menu in IE for Microsoft Update rather than trying to change the existing Windows Update entry?
I see that MU adds a item to the Start Menu to go directly to MU so would that also work within the Tools menu, if you could get a menu item there that is?
Kind Regards
Simon
when u install mu, and then click on Tools/windows update it goes to microsoft update. and if u want u cn change its name as JoeUser99 explained.