Trying to install integrated XP from USB drive now it loops

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
jntullis

Trying to install integrated XP from USB drive now it loops

Post by jntullis » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:57 pm

Ok, first let me say that this integrator stuff is awesome and will save hours of work. Thanks to Ryan and everyone who contributed to this great work.

I sucessfully created an integrated XP CD. (OEM and Volume License) The CD works great, but I want to be able to install Windows from a flash drive. I used pe2usb to create a bootable USB flash drive. My intention is to not have to carry Windows CDs around with me all the time. I found this great walkthrough on how to accomplish this here:

http://www.vandomburg.net/articles/2006 ... p-from-usb

I thought that everything was going to work. I copied the integrated i386 folder to the flash drive and ran this command line to start the install. D:\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /makelocalsource
The install begins and it looks like everything would be fine. However, when it gets to the point to reboot, the setup process starts all over again as if you has just booted to the Windows CD.

To troubleshoot, I copied the i386 folder from a plain SP2 cd and re-ran setup. It rebooted and setup finished normally.

My question is: What could the integration process do that might cause Windows setup to loop over and over?
Last edited by jntullis on Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:34 am

i wonder .. did you take a look here this was not tested personally
but if you are so egger about getting that pen drive to work (and that's a usb2 )
may be you should try this method as well
and possibly post some results ..
Good Luck

roweezy

Post by roweezy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:54 pm

try this guide:
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

i have personally followed the method there to install to an external usb2 drive, and it worked great. For flash drives I havent personally tested that. It appears to install unsigned drivers related to usb, so you will have to accept those during installation if you have configured it as such.

spidercop

Post by spidercop » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:52 pm

if u use D:\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /makelocalsource
tho instal windows u can do it without e reboot i think never did myself but u can use /noreboot command on it D:\i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /makelocalsource then i think it instals the whole thing without reboot

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am

roweezy wrote:try this guide:
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
thats the page where i made
this addon for
good to hear this works

* and for flash cards installs
wonder if maybie this app over here can help for usb installs aswell