Does the updatepack touch fonts AT ALL?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
fly

Does the updatepack touch fonts AT ALL?

Post by fly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:51 pm

Just 'solved' a problem that my company has had since December. Apparently, one of the default Windows fonts was corrupt when printing. Specifically it was the Verdana font, if it matters. Very odd problem and I want to eliminate the update pack as a possible reason.

So does the integrator/update pack touch the fonts in any way???

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:10 pm

As a matter of fact, it does. Here's a quote from the changelog:
Version 2.1.5 - Released December 16, 2006
  • Added European Union Expansion Font Update 1.1

fly

Post by fly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Well now that's interesting. I guess I'll put on November update pack and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

edit: Not December, just November,
Last edited by fly on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Verdana fonts doesnt come with that update. I dunno where Ryan found them, but its not the EU font update.

fly

Post by fly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:38 pm

Okay, the problem does not exist with the November updates. What do I do now?

edit: Interesting. Using the November pack, I downloaded the EU font update directly from M$ and it does the same thing. So its actually a M$ problem. Can you guys pull these fonts out from the update pack tho?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:44 pm

You can extract the updatepack.7z file to a folder, and remove only verdana fonts that have these names:
verdana.ttf
verdanab.ttf
verdanai.ttf
verdanaz.ttf
Then repack (compress) the update pack with the "updatepack" name in it, and use it.

I have no idea about your error, but that will help you remove those fonts.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Oh, i saw your edited post now. Can you please clearly describe your problem with the fonts? Most of us have those fonts in the update packs, and will kindly remove the updated fonts in a specific error.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:42 pm

I use this in a inf to fix an issue with some fonts not registering
;Fonts Fix
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Lucida Sans Regular (TrueType)",0,"lsans.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Lucida Sans Demibold Roman (TrueType)",0,"lsansd.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Lucida Sans Demibold Italic (TrueType)",0,"lsansdi.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Lucida Sans Italic (TrueType)",0,"lsansi.ttf"

fly

Post by fly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 am

MrNxDmX wrote:Oh, i saw your edited post now. Can you please clearly describe your problem with the fonts? Most of us have those fonts in the update packs, and will kindly remove the updated fonts in a specific error.
Yeah, on my way home from work I realized that I hadn't properly described the problem, and its an odd one.

The problem existed for us when printing Verdana font to many (but not all) of our HP printers. The font looks fine on screen, and in print preview, but gets seriously garbled when printing.

edit: Oh, and let me add, this is all PCL printing. I don't think the problem occurs with a PS driver.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:33 pm

ricktendo64, its not related with the entries, windows installs them itself.

fly, it seems that your error is related to fonts, not the update pack. I can suggest you to edit the update pack archive, as i described above, and use that modified pack for your installations.

fly

Post by fly » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 am

MrNxDmX wrote:ricktendo64, its not related with the entries, windows installs them itself.

fly, it seems that your error is related to fonts, not the update pack. I can suggest you to edit the update pack archive, as i described above, and use that modified pack for your installations.
Yes, its definently a problem with the fonts. I personally wish they weren't in the update pack because they have issues, but its not my product.

Thanks for your help.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:11 am

fly wrote:I personally wish they weren't in the update pack because they have issues, but its not my product.
It would be trivial to expand the 7zip archive, delete the TTF files, and repack it, you know...

Of course, it would also be nice if you'd report the issue to MS since I'm sure they'd like to know if one of their fonts is causing problems like that.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

fly

Post by fly » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:26 pm

RyanVM wrote:
fly wrote:I personally wish they weren't in the update pack because they have issues, but its not my product.
It would be trivial to expand the 7zip archive, delete the TTF files, and repack it, you know...
As has already been suggested in this thread... It will suck having to remember to do this each month, but somehow I'm sure I'll survive.
Of course, it would also be nice if you'd report the issue to MS since I'm sure they'd like to know if one of their fonts is causing problems like that.
I have zero idea on how to do that, but would love if you could take time out of your busy day to enlighten me. Thanks!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

fly wrote:As has already been suggested in this thread... It will suck having to remember to do this each month, but somehow I'm sure I'll survive.
Just make an addon which can be integrated at the same time to do it for you automatically. There's plenty on these forums which you could use as a template.
I have zero idea on how to do that, but would love if you could take time out of your busy day to enlighten me. Thanks!
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug (you can find that link on their support site ;))

fly

Post by fly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Is there an addon that removes files that I could use as a template to remove these offending fonts? I searched the addons forum and couldn't really find anything.

The closest I found was this, but that seemed complex and beyond me. Anyone got any other addons I could look at?

fly

Post by fly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:04 pm

fly wrote:Is there an addon that removes files that I could use as a template to remove these offending fonts? I searched the addons forum and couldn't really find anything.

The closest I found was this, but that seemed complex and beyond me. Anyone got any other addons I could look at?
Anyone? I can't figure out how to actually delete files from Ryan's update pack with an addon.

fly

Post by fly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Okay, so I ran through the Entries*.ini from this addon. It should be trivial to change that to the old Verdana fonts. Then I guess I need to use [obsolete_files] as mentioned in this thread. But will the obsolete_files be processed first? Cause if its not, I'm just going to end up deleting the fonts altogether...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:47 pm

It should work to point the [obsolete_files] section to rvmtemp\extracted\(your_font_here).ttf

fly

Post by fly » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:08 pm

RyanVM wrote:It should work to point the [obsolete_files] section to rvmtemp\extracted\(your_font_here).ttf
Okay, either it didn't work, or I have done something wrong as the file modified dates are for the new fonts. Here's the code I used (borrowed):

Code: Select all

;===============================================
; This will replace the RyanVM updated EU fonts
;  with the default XP SP2 fonts 
;
;===============================================
[general]
builddate=2007/03/12
description=Replace stock Verdana fonts.
language=en-US
title=Verdana Fonts
version=1.0
website=

[dosnet_files]
d1,verdana.ttf
d1,verdanab.ttf
d1,verdanaz.ttf
d1,verdanai.ttf

[txtsetup_files]
verdana.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
verdanab.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
verdanaz.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
verdanai.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22

[txtsetup_fileflags]
verdana.ttf = 16
verdanab.ttf = 16
verdanaz.ttf = 16
verdanai.ttf = 16

[i386_compress]
rvmtemp\extracted\verdana.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanab.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanaz.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanai.ttf

[obsolete_files]
rvmtemp\extracted\verdana.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanab.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanaz.ttf
rvmtemp\extracted\verdanai.ttf
Any ideas what I have done wrong?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

Why are you trying to overwrite them with the old ones? Just delete the ones from the update pack. You shouldn't need anything more an an INI for this.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:36 pm

In fact, fly, you should only need the [general] and [obsolete_files] sections if you only plan to use the addon in the same integration session as the Update Pack.

EDIT: I've almost finished an addon you can use that replaces the files in your updated source with the stock SP2 versions for use with the Update Pack or anytime after. It'll be ready in a few minutes.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:08 am

Verdana Restore Addon for Windows XP SP2

Description:
  • This addon restores the Verdana fonts updated by an Update Pack that includes the European Union Expansion Font Update to their original SP2 versions.
Details:
  • Intended for Windows XP SP2 with any Update Pack that includes the European Union Expansion Font Update.
  • Tested in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.
  • Integrates with RyanVM Integrator v1.4.3 and nLite 1.3 RC2 (or later versions of either).
Download:Changelog:
  • [2007/03/13 04:10 GMT] - Initial release.

fly

Post by fly » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:51 am

Ahhh, sweet! Looks like you do actually replace the fonts though. Thanks for your help guys!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 am

It can be done either way. I chose to replace the fonts so you can use the addon in a session after the Update Pack has already been applied to your source.

There's nothing wrong with the method Ryan describes, but it can only be used in the same session as an Update Pack. The way my addon works is more flexible, but not as efficient.

fly

Post by fly » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:57 am

Ahhh, that thought had run through my thick skull. Thanks for your help.