Can you remove an integrated patch?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
JTGrunden

Can you remove an integrated patch?

Post by JTGrunden » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Let me start out by saying thanks to Ryan for creating and sharing all the information on this site, it's saved me a lot of time.
I am trying to remove KB925876 from a completed installation. Because it doesn't show up in ARP or have a Windows $uninstall routine I can't find a way to root it out. I even tried installing the KB from MS thinking it would add the removal options but it didn't. This update is an unfortunate attempt to improve the RDP client that didn't really need improving. It now requires a double login and has problems connecting to many servers. If you check some of the blogs you will find many admins complaining about it and going back to the previous version. Due to the problems it has you might want to consider taking it out of the main update pack and make it a seperate add on. Any information on removing this from XP installed using the Integrator will be much appreciated.

TIA,
JT

Vocalpoint

Re: Can you remove an integrated patch?

Post by Vocalpoint » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 am

JTGrunden wrote:Let me start out by saying thanks to Ryan for creating and sharing all the information on this site, it's saved me a lot of time.
I am trying to remove KB925876 from a completed installation. Because it doesn't show up in ARP or have a Windows $uninstall routine I can't find a way to root it out. I even tried installing the KB from MS thinking it would add the removal options but it didn't. This update is an unfortunate attempt to improve the RDP client that didn't really need improving. It now requires a double login and has problems connecting to many servers. If you check some of the blogs you will find many admins complaining about it and going back to the previous version. Due to the problems it has you might want to consider taking it out of the main update pack and make it a seperate add on. Any information on removing this from XP installed using the Integrator will be much appreciated.

TIA,
I really appreciate Ryan's work as well - but the inclusion of this client has forced me to pass on his pack for now. I would love to see this item removed as well. It is definitely NOT ready for prime time and at least should be a VERY optional add-on.

JT - After Ryan snuck this one into 2.16 (I believe) - I got really annoyed at all the problems with it and finally found instructions on the web to roll back to the 5.2 RDP client that ships with Server 2003...it's a matter of replacing three files.

There is no possibility of a standard uninstall after integrating Ryan's pack

If you can get the actual 5.2 RDP client installer - it should overwrite this lame 6.0 client...

I will try and find the web details that I used to switch it out...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:10 am

SNUCK IT IN!?!?!??!?!?!

WTF do you mean by that? (You sound like he deliberatly adds harmfull shit in his pack!)

He sneeks nothing in and just because 2 people have problems with an update doesnt mean the rest of use need to live without it.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:07 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:SNUCK IT IN!?!?!??!?!?!

WTF do you mean by that? (You sound like he deliberatly adds harmfull shit in his pack!)

He sneeks nothing in and just because 2 people have problems with an update doesnt mean the rest of use need to live without it.
My apologies on the word "snuck". Obviously a little too strong - but I wasn't implying that he was adding anything HARMFUL or malicious.

Merely stating that this particular update is so low down the tree in priority, definitely NOT even an optional MS Update and despite your sadly mistaken generalization that there are only 2 people having issues with it - I am questioning it's inclusion as a standard item in the pack.

Ryan doesn't include IE7 or WMP 11 as a standard items in his pack and those two "updates" have MASSIVE visiblity within the Windows world - yet this lowly utility suddenly gets updated - with a totally buggy, slow-ass replacement?

Maybe you can please help me understand why he felt that this hapless 6.0 client was suddenly better that the 5.2 client - which works perfect. Just because it's available? Did anyone test it?

You obviously do not rely on the RDP client as much as some of us do.

I have nothing but praise for Ryan's ongoing work - his packs and utilities are truly a beautiful thing and I support (and promote) these tools to many a collegue whenever I can.

I (and others) feel like a lemon has snuck into the works here and hopefully Ryan might consider making a change for the go-forward.

JTGrunden

Post by JTGrunden » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 am

Well it's nice to know my first post has got one of the moderators all up in arms. My goal was to share some info on this so called updated RDP client and find out if there was any way to remove it. I haven't talked to one admin that likes or can even tolerate this new client. I agree with vocalpoint, we just want to know if it has to be mandatory in the main update pack or if it can be available like other add on's. And I was wondering if there was anyway to remove it from a completed installation. I don't expect that Ryan knows every detail about every patch that he includes so I thought this forum was basically designed to share this kind of info. I have to manage over 120 servers spread out over 12 states and this new client is just unacceptable. Believe me there are more than 2 of us who feel this way.
JT

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 pm

You guys aren't the first to request a removal addon for RDP6 (there should be another thread floating around about it if you'd bother to search). I personally don't have the time to make such an addon, but it would be easy to do and maybe if you ask nicely somebody will.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:45 am

RyanVM wrote:You guys aren't the first to request a removal addon for RDP6 (there should be another thread floating around about it if you'd bother to search). I personally don't have the time to make such an addon, but it would be easy to do and maybe if you ask nicely somebody will.
Ryan,

I completely understand that your time is tight - but would it be possible for you to just leave the inclusion of RDP6 out of your 2.18 plans? If someone wants to make a removal add-on - that's cool. I would like to get back to using your pack without the headaches of RDP 6.0 being part of it.

Cheers!

VP

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:35 am

Sorry, but three people doesn't make a majority

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:42 am

RyanVM wrote:Sorry, but three people doesn't make a majority
Ryan,

My apologies - but my take on your comment feels sorta like - "I have little concern over what works and what doesn't - anyone who chooses to use my pack now gets a buggy, unusable RDP client - whether they like it or not"

And I know that your response might be along the lines of: "If you don't like the content - then F*** right off and don't use it."

However - please help me understand the liability in having the majority simply continue to enjoy the benefits and ease of use of your offering and decide for themselves if they actually NEED a new RDP client - especially when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the existing client?

VP

retalion

Post by retalion » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:23 am

No offense here,

but if you want that "Update" removed from the pack then simply remove it.
On this site are enough examples on how such an update pack is created.
If you understand the structure of the pack, you can easily remove or add things.

JTGrunden

Post by JTGrunden » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:37 pm

Thanks retalion,

This is what I was originally looking for, a positive suggestion or solution. I will search for the process of removing items from the pack myself and go back to lurking until I am an expert....
JT

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:14 am

JTGrunden

Post by JTGrunden » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks Ryan.
JT

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:40 am

Can't one just delete the KN entry from the SVCpack.inf so it doesn't install, or is there more to it?? I was wondering the same thing since I didn't want to hae IE7 updates when IE7 isn't installed yet - would that option work?? THanks.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:03 am

No. The CAT file in svcpack.inf just adds the digital signatures necessary for Windows to recognize the file as signed by MS so Windows File Protection won't freak.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:38 pm

JTGrunden wrote:Thanks retalion,

This is what I was originally looking for, a positive suggestion or solution. I will search for the process of removing items from the pack myself and go back to lurking until I am an expert....
You can also search for the old WGA removal packs. RVM used to include WGA in his pack, which caused an influx of removal solutions for those that just don't like WGA. So you might want to take a look at some of those examples since they are, in fact, packs that serve to remove a certain aspect of RVM's pack.