UpdatePack + .NET 1.1 & 2.0 messes up Win Updates for .N

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Skram

UpdatePack + .NET 1.1 & 2.0 messes up Win Updates for .NET 3.0

Post by Skram » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Has anyone found a good method for integrating the update pak and all the .NET frameworks too?

I've tried using: RVMUpdatePack2.1.7.7z + RVMAddonsDX9_1.2.7z + RVMAddonsWGA_1.5.723.1.7z + RVMAddonsWMP10_3.1.7z + RogueSpearAddonsDotNET11SP120-VJ1120.zip on WinXP HE SP2.

But when I do windows updates using one of the installs it finds the .NET 3.0 framework and fails to install through automatic updates. I have to manually install .NET 3.0 and it works okay then it's gone from WU.

I've tried some of those WUZeroInstall packages but didn't like'm cause they seemed a little buggy to me. But which addons should I use with RVMUpdatePack2.1.7.7z to get it close to 0 updates as possible? Does .NET 3.0 replace 2.0 so maybe I should leave 2.0 out of the addon?

I'm trying to get as vanilla as possible and not have to worry about 80+ updates after install. I like to stick with addons cause it makes it easy to make more discs in the future with Home or Pro.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:43 pm

The dotNET addons should work regardless of the Update Pack or other addons you choose to use.

You could try using RogueSpear's SVCPACK dotNET 1.1 and 2.0 addons along with his "RunOnceEx only" dotNET 3.0 addon and his ScriptPack. All of these are available from his site once you become a registered member there. Start with his latest releases, they're designed to work together.

If you want both dotNET 1.1 and dotNET 3.0 without using the ScriptPack then you can learn how to use [GUIRunOnce] in WINNT.SIF or RunOnceEx to install 3.0.

I use the installers mentioned above without the ScriptPack using an alternate RunOnceEx method to install 3.0. Use whichever method is easiest for you.

ITinerant

Also you might consider...

Post by ITinerant » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 pm

RogueSpear's Runtimes V2.4

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:11 pm

RogueSpear's Runtimes V2.4 does not include dotNET 3.0.

Skram

Post by Skram » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:39 am

Could I just use 1.1 and 3.0? Since 3.0 is supposed to contain 2.0. Is there maybe a conflict with 1.1 SP1 and 3.0? I think I read something about the timing of 1.1 SP1, like you have to reboot after installing, and perhaps do this before 3.0 is installed.

Has anyone experimented with different methods? Found something that works?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:19 am

Microsoft's dotNET 3.0 installer does include 2.0. RogueSpear's 3.0 also includes 2.0 unless he specifies differently in his release notes for the installer in question.

It has been explained on RogueSpear's forum that there must be a reboot between the installations of dotNET 1.1 and 3.0. I do not know specifically why. All I know is that 3.0 will fail to install otherwise. This is the reason you must use RunOnceEx or [GUIRunOnce] to install 3.0 if you plan to iinstall 1.1 at T-13 (SVCPACK). There is currently no way around it.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 pm

The reboot it seems is necessary when you're installing .NET 1.1 along with SP1 and the one hotfix integrated. If you were to install .NET 1.1 without SP1, etc. then the reboot wouldn't be necessary.

SP1 (or maybe the hotfix) create an entry to run some cleanup or optimization at the next reboot. For some reason this screws everything up. It's been months now since I've screwed around with it so my memory isn't so sharp regarding all of this, but I can tell you that I spent close to a week on nothing but this. Tried rearranging the order of things, etc. with no success.

In the end there are worse things that you might have to deal with than installing .NET 3.0's extra fluff after svcpack.

Fygee

Post by Fygee » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 am

I experienced the exact same problem everyone else had here, where the only way to install was to do it through the downloaded installer in Windows.

The solution for me is to install Net Framework 3 through a runonce session, and to have it go before 1.1 in the installation order. Works like a champ for me, no reboot required until your runonce session has completed.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:16 am

got a link to the downloaded installer from MS for .net 3? reason i ask is that i have run into a problem (like above) and would dearly love to have the bleeding thing WORK. even if i have to install it manually after windows install. as it is now, it downloads (from MU) starts the install, looks like it will work (progress bar halfway across) then dies..
every time..
anyone got any ideas what reg entry needs killed to allow the install? cause something is cluttered up in there.

TechnoHunter