Trouble With XP OEM Pro

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Lumina

Trouble With XP OEM Pro

Post by Lumina » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:21 pm

when i apply the update pack, and build image i get a problem, the key i always use for that xp OEM build doesnt work any more, for some reason its asking for a volume key.
cant think of anything to put.

LilSpann601

Post by LilSpann601 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:37 pm

have you ever called and activated it?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Nothing in my pack touches the files on the CD which control what type of install XP thinks it is. Are you sure you're starting with a clean source? Using any addons?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:50 pm

If the XP OEM was not an SP2 OEM disc, but you've slipstreamed SP2 into it, there are _some_ pre-SP2 keys that, for whatever reason, get invalidated by SP2.

Contact M$ or your OEM after doing the following if your OEM Disc is NOT an SP2 cd already:

Copy $WinBootDrive$:\boot.ini somewhere, anywhere.

Copy source cd to a folder on hard-drive.

Slipstream SP2.

Run WINNT32.exe from the slipstreamed hard-drive source location's \I386\ dir with "/dudisable /noreboot /s:$SourcePath$"

Where $SourcePath$ is the hard-drive location for the cd containing the \I386\ folder.

Ex: CD copied to H:\XPCD.

Run command would be:
"H:\XPCD\I386\winnt32.exe /dudisable /noreboot /s:H:\XPCD".

During the little mini-setup thing, when it prompts you for your key, enter it. If it says that it is not valid, contact M$ or your OEM if it's still covered.

If it's already a SP2 cd and the oem key is not taking, copy the boot.ini and run the winnt32.exe straight from the cd and see if the mini setup takes the key. If it doesn't, contact M$ or your OEM if it's still covered.

If in any of the two above it does take the key, but doesn't take it during actual install or via your WINNT.SIF file, make sure you've typed it in correctly, or check your addons.

WGA may also for whatever reason be invalidating the key. If yours is such a case, contact M$ or your OEM if still covered.

In any case of running the above winnt32.exe options, restore the original boot.ini before you reboot the system or it will try to launch system setup on you to install windows.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Also check your setupp.ini file for the string "OEM". If it isn't in there... then it isn't OEM. But the updatepack and addons here do not edit setupp.ini in any way.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software