Problem using BDD after using RyanIntegrator

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
trollkeeper

Problem using BDD after using RyanIntegrator

Post by trollkeeper » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:17 pm

I am having trouble doing a LiteTouch installation with BDD 2007 after integrating the RyanVM updates.

My base installation works fine (Windows XP Pro SP2) off the BDD and the Ryan modified version works fine from disk but not through the BDD.

I have tried putting the modified OS in the BDD as a new OS and also modifying a complete OS on the distribution share with the same results.

What happens is when I boot the client machine through PXE it connects to the server, asks the installation questions, allows me to pick the package and copies it over. The system then reboots, goes through the initial copy/setup routine then reboots again. This is where the problem occurs

On the unmodified version the setup continues by searching for hardware and setting up windows but on the modified version it tries repeating the previous step (copy/setup) at which point it fails as it already sees the existing installation.

I am using the BDD for several reasons:

1) I can deploy Office and other applications through it
2) It sets up a working PXE that requires no configuration to work
3) It allows me to mix images and full installations depending on my scenario
4) It offers a choice of drivers rather than forcing every install to require every driver every time we need a computer wiped

My setup requires maximum flexibility because every computer in our area has different hardware, even my computer lab has 3 different hardware configurations.

The RyanVM is far superior to BDD for patch integration opposed to the BDD and allows the patches to be put on the initial install as opposed to after the machine is live on the network and exposed.

I have tried implementing with RyanVM integrator and nLite, both gave me the same results. Can anyone suggest something I may have missed to get this going?

Thanks

bbmak

Post by bbmak » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:30 am

This is how I deploy windows xp sp2. I use the ryan integrator + nlite to integrate the ryanvm update pack, driver packs, and some other softwares by using ryanvm + nlite.

First i make a source image with the wds, and then i use ryanvm integrator to integrate the update pack. (I used to use nlite to integrate, but since nlite's new version does not support the ryanvm update pack with ris image, so i choose the ryanvm integrator) I am so disappointed that nlite's author does not fix this problem. it used to be supported in 1.3RC2

After integrating ryanvm update pack, I use nlite to integrate the drivers, some of the softwares, and tweaks.

After finished integrated it, I copy the folder and put it into the remoteinstall folder.

Then I use WDS to deploy it.

For deploying Office 2007, I used BDD2007 and choose the computer groups to install.

For office 2003, i am still using GPO

trollkeeper

Post by trollkeeper » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, I finally found a solution to get my installation to work.

Using Microsofts /integrate command I was able to install all the patches to the source and allowed the BDD to run properly. Its a painful method and is larger than a single CD now, but I am deploying via network so its not a problem.

Basically what I did was:

1) Did a clean install with my WinXP SP2 volume disk
2) Went to the MS updates site and wrote down all the 6 digit KB references
3) Manually downloaded each reference from microsoft
4) typed in the filename /integrate:c:\xpref where c:\xpref was a full copy of my WinXP volume disk

Some could not directly be integrated, but I can easily enough install those separately. There was one message about being unable to roll back the install due to system restore turned off, but that is another issue entirely.

Here is a link I found explaining part of the method i used:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/deskto ... 305tn.mspx

Hopefully someone will find this information useful.

bbmak

Post by bbmak » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:18 pm

wow so painful, copying all 6 digi kb
can you install wsus???

omniwolf

Post by omniwolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:07 am

this post:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201.

should fix it.. basically in your LTIapply.wsf file, somewhere around line 700 will be this line:

Code: Select all

sInstallCmd = sInstallCmd & " /copysource:lang /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /debug4:" & oUtility.LogPath & "\debug.log /noreboot"
you just need to get rid of the /syspart:c: bit, so it should read:

sInstallCmd = sInstallCmd & " /copysource:lang /tempdrive:c: /debug4:" & oUtility.LogPath & "\debug.log /noreboot"
i haven't got it working yet (getting strange error reading disk errors when the PC reboots and is supposed to go into the text based install section), but my problems are (i think) separate from this issue.

omniwolf

Post by omniwolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:33 pm

I thought i might also mention that i was not able to get it to work by removing the /syspart:c: thing from the cmdline. when doing that as i mentioned it comes up with some dos error something like "error reading from disk, press ctrl+alt+del to reboot". i narrowed that error back down to the /syspart switch, without it my PC wouldn't boot into the text base install (but of course; with it my pc would then loop forever in the text based install).

the only fix i found was in replacing the SETUPLDR.BIN and SETUPLDR.EX_ files in the i386 source directory with the files from the original winXP sp2 cd. now everything works "fine".

fly

Post by fly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:58 am

omniwolf wrote:the only fix i found was in replacing the SETUPLDR.BIN and SETUPLDR.EX_ files in the i386 source directory with the files from the original winXP sp2 cd. now everything works "fine".
That fixes it! Can anyone suggest how to make an update pack that keeps these original files? Additionally, any idea what the difference is?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:02 pm

The version of those files that Ryan includes (build 2719) is from KB902845. All that is necessary to create an addon to remove that update is to create an archive (with "addon" in the file name) with the two original SP2 files and the following text in a file named "entries_remove_902845.ini":

[general]
builddate=2008/09/29
description=KB902845 removal addon for RyanVM's Post-SP2 Update Pack
forcelang=English
language=English
ServicePack=SP2
title=KB902845 removal addon
version=1.0
website=http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84025#84025
Windows=XP
flags=IgnoreFileVersions

fly

Post by fly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Where would I be without you guys. Thank you!