About the amount of unofficial fixes in the pack.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Martin H

About the amount of unofficial fixes in the pack.

Post by Martin H » Mon May 21, 2007 12:04 pm

@Ryan

I am interrested in hearing what your oppenion is on adding unofficial updates. Do you add all you can get your hands on or do you add only the ones that you feel is important enough ? Also, are all the optional updates included in the pack except .NET, IE7 and WMP11 ? Sorry, of course i could go through all the updates that is listed on your site and check, but that would take forever and so i would really appreciate if you could please answer that question for me. I'm wondering about the unofficial updates because in the MS articles for them, then MS states that they are not fully tested and hence, should only be added to people who really are effected of the fixed problem, and so in a sence, they are actually alpha/beta fixes and because of that, then i'm not very happy about the thought of having a bunch of them installed, so i was currious as to what your stand is about this issue. I am personally using Xable's High Priority update pack(XUDPack), because of the above mentioned speculations, but nonetheless, i'm still interrested in your thinking about this :)

Btw, i really think that the thread which describes the differences between the different packs needs to be rewritten. Take e.g. :

"All high priority updates on Microsoft Update plus some unofficial hotfixes"

This implies that there is no optional updates in the pack ?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon May 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Ryan only includes unofficial hotfixes if they are known to fix issues that are needed by most people. Not all unofficial hotfixes are alpha betas.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Martin H

Post by Martin H » Mon May 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi Siginet :)

Thank you very much for your reply, mate :)

What i meant with my alpha/beta remark was simply that unofficial fixes are unofficial for a reason :) When they have been thoroughly tested and deemed stable enough, then they become official fixes - Hence, the official/unofficial terminology. Of course you do know all this perfectly well allready, but i'm just clarifying what i ment with my 'alpha/beta' remark.

Thank's again for your reply :)

CU, Martin.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 21, 2007 5:52 pm

1.) I've answered this question way more times than I care to remember already here.
2.) I generally only include a request-only fix if it's a direct update to a file already in the pack or directly requested and confirmed to be working OK by a user.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Martin H

Post by Martin H » Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Thank you very much Ryan for answering my question :)

I apologise for asking a question that's been asked many times before :oops: I actually didn't posted my question before i had allready searched the web for a little over an hour, with the keywords : "RyanVM" + "unofficial updates" and couldn't find a single case of getting this question of mine answered, but i guess that this only shows that i must be some kind of moron, then :lol:

Sorry about that, and again many thank's :)