Problem with KB925902 and Vista Transformation Pack

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Post Reply
User avatar
chetri
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 am
Location: India

Problem with KB925902 and Vista Transformation Pack

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 pm

To RyanVm

After integrating the update pack 2.1.9 onwards i have facing a Problem to installing VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK. The VTP says that "A Hotfix KB925902 is installed on your system which is not permit to instal third party application". So i think is is for Windows File Transformation. :?: hence can tel me that how can i remove it from your update pack???? :?

User avatar
dougiefresh
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 5:05 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: To RyanVm

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:44 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 7-017.mspx contains a listing of the files updated by update KB925902.

I suggest pulling the files for KB925902 from Update Pack v2.1.10 and replace the files in Update Pack v2.1.11. You'd also want to remove the CAT file for KB925902. I don't know what registry entries to remove from RVMUpPck.INF. Hope this info helps!

User avatar
code65536
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: .us
Contact:

Post by code65536 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Um, that's a pretty serious security patch that you're killing there. Serious enough to cause Microsoft to release it out of cycle. Why not talk to whoever makes VTP and have them fix it so that it works with this patch. :rolleyes:

User avatar
dougiefresh
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 5:05 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Contact:

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:36 pm

code65536 wrote:Um, that's a pretty serious security patch that you're killing there. Serious enough to cause Microsoft to release it out of cycle. Why not talk to whoever makes VTP and have them fix it so that it works with this patch. :rolleyes:
That's probably a much better solution than removing the update! However, chetri asked how to remove the update from the pack, so that's what I tried to do. I doubt RyanVM will remove the patch from the update pack, though.

User avatar
chetri
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 am
Location: India

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:07 pm

dougiefresh wrote:
code65536 wrote:Um, that's a pretty serious security patch that you're killing there. Serious enough to cause Microsoft to release it out of cycle. Why not talk to whoever makes VTP and have them fix it so that it works with this patch. :rolleyes:
That's probably a much better solution than removing the update! However, chetri asked how to remove the update from the pack, so that's what I tried to do. I doubt RyanVM will remove the patch from the update pack, though.
Thnx dougiefresh & code6536.

but i understood how to remove that patch from RVMupdate which is not required to me.

User avatar
dougiefresh
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 5:05 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Contact:

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:19 pm

Hey, chetri.... I forgot to tell you that if the file doesn't exist in RVM v2.1.10, you should delete the file from v2.1.11. Hope it helps! Oh, yeah: Contacting the author of the software you're having a problem with would also be a good idea, since RyanVM probably won't remove the update from the pack. (yes, i know i just repeated myself!)

RickSteele
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: To RyanVm

Post by RickSteele » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:59 pm

chetri wrote:To RyanVm

After integrating the update pack 2.1.9 onwards i have facing a Problem to installing VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK. The VTP says that "A Hotfix KB925902 is installed on your system which is not permit to instal third party application". So i think is is for Windows File Transformation. :?: hence can tel me that how can i remove it from your update pack???? :?
This is the fix: (applies to VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK)

Code: Select all

Tutorial: Using Bricopacks after KB925902
Or others transformation packs...
Written by marzojr on 14 april 2007 at 21h59
You have problem with KB925902 update? 
For Vista Transformation Pack 7 users, you have 2 solutions :
1 - Uninstall Windows Transformation Pack and try Vista Inspirat 2 Bricopack ! With Vista Inspirat 2 Bricopack, the problem with the Windows Update KB925902 is solved !!!
OR
2 - Follow the tutorial below

___________________________________________
Tutorial (KB925902) :

Like many users in this forum (and everywhere in the web), I was enjoying the cool new icons possible with Bricopacks until KB925902 came along and messed everything up. Instead of waiting until M$ did something to undo the damage they did, I decided to do something on my own; and now, I am happily enjoying the benefits of KB925902 without any of the drawbacks.

How, you ask? Well, this is the purpose of this post. But first, the obligatory disclaimer:

WARNING:This involves hacking a system DLL using a third party tool. Depending on your exact driver set, it may not work for you. Worse, it might even render your computer unbootable in a worst case scenario. But then again, it should not be any worse than what KB925902 already did in your computer...

In case you want to know what exactly is the problem, I have a section at the end which explains the technical details. So, without further addo:

Step 1: Get appropriate tools
There is one particular piece of software you will need: a portable executable editor which allows you to change a dll's base address. There is a list of them in Wikipedia'a Portable Executable article. I chose to use yoda's LordPE Deluxe, and wrote this tutorial accordingly. So download it and extract the files to a folder of your choice. Remember this folder.

Step 2: Configuring LordPE
The starting screen of LordPE has lots of things; but only three of them concern us here: the "PE Editor", "Rebuild PE" and "Options" buttons. Start with "PE Editor".

Navigate to "Windows\$NtUninstallKB925902$"and open "user32.dll". Note the value of "ImageBase" (copy to clipboard, write it down, etc.). Click "OK".

For easy reference, some values for this address are (based on the language of XP):
English: 77D40000
French, Italian, Spanish: 77D10000
Finnish: 77D30000
Portuguese (Brazilian): 77D20000
Click "Options" now. Ignore everything but the "Rebuilder" options; then, set these options to look like the screenshot below:
 

Pay special attention to the text below the "Change ImageBase to:" checkbox: it must be the "ImageBase" address I told you to copy/write down/whatever. Click "OK" and you are ready for the next step.

Step 3: Editing user32.dll
First: you can't edit "user32.dll" directly because it is in use. Also, Windows File Protection would hinder you in this effort. So you will need to make a copy of "user32.dll". Go to "Windows\System32" and duplicate "user32.dll"; change the name of the copy to "user32_new.dll".

Back to LordPE, click "Rebuild PE" and select the "user32_new.dll" file you just created. When LordPE is done, click OK and close it. You now have to put the new dll to use.

Step 4: Getting around Windows File Protection
If you have turned off Windows File Protection, skip to step 5. Otherwise, you will need to overwrite the "user32.dll" in "Windows\System32\dllcache" with the new version you just created. So go to "Windows\System32\dllcache", delete "user32.dll", copy your "user32_new.dll" to this folder and rename it to "user32.dll".

Step 5: Replacing user32.dll
The problem here is that "user32.dll" is in use and can't be deleted (or overwritten). In my case, I had success in simply renaming it; so try that first: try renaming "user32.dll" to "user32_old.dll". If this works, immediately rename "user32_new.dll" to "user32.dll" and skip to step 6.

If you are reading this, you will now have to reboot your computer. Then:
* Before the XP loading screen shows up, press F8 to get boot options.
* Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" with your arrow keys and hit Enter.
* After you log in, you will be faced with the command prompt. Type the drive letter where you installed Windows (usually "C"), followed by ":" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Thus, most users would type "C:" and hit enter in this step; but if you installed Windows to drive "D", you would type "D:" and press enter.
* Type "cd \Windows\system32" and press enter (note that there is a backslash before "Windows" in this command; be sure to type it too!).
* Type "ren user32.dll user32_old.dll && ren user32_new.dll user32.dll" and press enter.
* Reboot.
If you did everything right so far, "user32.dll" is now your modified version. You can check by looking at the file date.

Step 6: Install your favorite Bricopack
The title says it all: install the Bricopack of your choice and enjoy! If it was already installed when you started this procedure, it *should* work without a hiccup too, but I haven't tested it.

Optional: Technical details
Windows DLLs have a base address which tells Windows where the DLL should go in your system's physical memory. Most DLLs can be dynamically reallocated without problems (except for a delay in the DLL's loading time) if there is already a DLL at the specified address; system DLLs cannot (probably for stability/performance reasons). The base address I told you to use was the base address of "user32.dll" before KB925902 (you can check this with LordPE by looking at the file in "WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB925902$"). Since KB925902 created the problem(s) by switching around the base address of "user32.dll", restoring the base address to what it was fixed it. 

Copy the user32.dll from system32 to another location, google LordPE Deluxe to download.
Also, when installing VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK 7-the latest-the routine sends you automatically to the URL with all this info and the direct link to download LordPE Deluxe. You, then, exit the install, follow this tutorial and again run the VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK 7 setup; this works, I have done it.

User avatar
chetri
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 am
Location: India

Re: To RyanVm

Post by chetri » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:41 am

Dear RickSteele
RickSteele wrote:
chetri wrote:To RyanVm

After integrating the update pack 2.1.9 onwards i have facing a Problem to installing VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK. The VTP says that "A Hotfix KB925902 is installed on your system which is not permit to instal third party application". So i think is is for Windows File Transformation. :?: hence can tel me that how can i remove it from your update pack???? :?
This is the fix: (applies to VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK)

Code: Select all

Tutorial: Using Bricopacks after KB925902
Or others transformation packs...
Written by marzojr on 14 april 2007 at 21h59
You have problem with KB925902 update? 
For Vista Transformation Pack 7 users, you have 2 solutions :
1 - Uninstall Windows Transformation Pack and try Vista Inspirat 2 Bricopack ! With Vista Inspirat 2 Bricopack, the problem with the Windows Update KB925902 is solved !!!
OR
2 - Follow the tutorial below

___________________________________________


Navigate to "Windows\$NtUninstallKB925902$"and open "user32.dll". Note the value of "ImageBase" (copy to clipboard, write it down, etc.). Click "OK".

.[/quote]


By integrating the update pack through RVMupdate Pack the "$NtUninstallKB925902$" is not exists in the windows folder hence i am unable to follow ur TUT. Any way thanks to ur tut :?

User avatar
pen25jf
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Post by pen25jf » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:14 am

Sorry to bring back a dead topic, but is this (KB925902, and above) still an issue with Bricopacks, etc?? thanks.

superleiw
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:22 am

Post by superleiw » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:33 am

pen25jf wrote:Sorry to bring back a dead topic, but is this (KB925902, and above) still an issue with Bricopacks, etc?? thanks.
Quoted from the text :

With Vista Inspirat 2 Bricopack, the problem with the Windows Update KB925902 is solved !!

Post Reply