Last Call?!

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
pen25jf

Last Call?!

Post by pen25jf » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 am

Hi,

Just wanted to dump my 2 cents about the update pack "issue."
I just finished my M.A., I work full time, so hell if I can find the time to even regularly live a normal life - let alone attend to an update pack!!!
So geez, yeah, of course we all love Ryan's work and want it yesterday, but cut the guy some slack, and as someone said, hit the "donate" button to help out!
I know these packs make life so much easier but for someone to take the time and make them while working, etc., I know I couldn't, so kudos to all of those who do, and thanks.

Now - when's the next pack out? :wink:

Thanks Ryan, Booogy, Mrs Peel, and everyone else since it's too early!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:42 am

I can only confirm that its coming.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:56 am

I for one, am getting fed up with the negative attitude too often displayed here. I can count about 5 or 6 requests for info in the last 3 or 4 months, I really dont think that is bad, do you? If people keep showing such open distain (that's owners, mods and users!) towards each other in here, then I'm afraid I will have to leave this community.

I totally understand that Ryan has much on his plate, as do I, and many others that are here too. But showing this kind hatred of users that dare to ask a simple question is getting out of hand. It's adding an un-savoury tone to this community.

Communication has not been all that clear, until recently, and unless users visit every day, they may miss new posts that come along, and the search function is not always your best friend. And lets not forget that not all the users here count English as their first language.

A lesson I learned when Texting first came out on mobile phones was that, what you read is just the words, you cannot always pickup on HOW the words are being said, and the expression on the other persons face. So sometimes you get it wrong, and get angry or take offence for no reason, simply because you could only read the words. So you have to kind of hold-fire, and ask when they meant before attacking. I think the same applies to this place to.

So I urge the people here to cut a bit of slack sometimes, show some humanity towards each other, and also for Ryan to realise that we are not the ememy, as it does tend to come across that way sometimes. Either that, or shut down this forum.

Thanks for reading.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Please don't take sidestepped questions personally, Stimpy. Status updates can't always be given weekly or regularly, as some members in recent history seem to request or demand them. When dog-piled requests roll in (example: starting post), it's hard to take such things in stride. This is where the impatience you may perceive comes from.

I can't speak for all members here, but I can assure you that I try to take all questions at face value, without prejudice. But if hostility is readily apparent in the query then I will address it in addition to answering the given question as honestly and succinctly as I can. Also, I would be remiss in my responsibilities as a moderator to allow an obviously downhill discussion to continue unabated. Unfortunately, this sometimes involves locking the affected threads, whether by request or not.

If you feel I've slighted you in some way, Stimpy, then please don't hesitate to contact me by PM. I realize you've been an active participant in some of the recently locked discussions, but please rest assured that I meant nothing personal in my recent actions.

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:23 pm

erm, since this is an update pack, that is designed to be used with an unattended cd, I am just waiting until the next pack is available before my image gets updated.

gives me more time to devote to all the other new stuff to implement.

it is not like you use these to keep yourself up to date anyway after you have installed.

don't personally see why there should be any comments that should need a rebuttal, concerning when the next one is coming out. one could always install critical packs if they were concerned. plenty of time to re-install, always plenty of time for that lol.

watching and waiting.....

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:44 pm

I would like add my thoughts too.

I was under the impression that a pack was planned for a November release and was happy to wait for something which I fully appreciate and would not take for granted as I can imagine the hard work and skill involved.

I now get the impression that a December release is planned to include December updates which is absolutely fine by me but I must say the lack of clear info was frustrating and most of us would like to have asked just for a rough forecast but didnt want to be accused of being pushy or whatever.

All that was required was a few words or a forecast as to which Month we could expect something.

P.S. Im sure everyone will be happy once the new pack is out and the negativity will evapourate its just that we all need a little fix. :lol:

willpantin

Good post, Stimpy

Post by willpantin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:54 pm

I enjoyed reading your post Stimpy, as I think you dared say what many of us are feeling...
I have kept my own mouth shut about the unnecessary unfriendliness displayed towards people asking for simple information, usually not in a rude or demanding tone. Sometimes these are newbies, and it is sad to scare them away from a community from which they could learn, grow, and contribute.
Ryan ought to know I have always been grateful for his work, and am really in awe at his talent. He is indeed very generous to share the fruits of his labour with us, with only the occassional voluntary donation to show for his efforts.
Having said that, the unwelcome tone here (not necessarily from Ryan), does not inspire people to donate more money. If Ryan feels unfairly compensated for his efforts, he should charge a yearly fee for his service, and treat his now proven customers well for their patronage.
As Stimpy puts so well:
So I urge the people here to cut a bit of slack sometimes, show some humanity towards each other, and also for Ryan to realise that we are not the ememy, as it does tend to come across that way sometimes. Either that, or shut down this forum.
Well said, Stimpy. Add my name to those who also feel that way...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Ryan deserves the chance to respond before people dog-pile him, willpantin. This thread will remain locked until Ryan responds, if he chooses to do so.

BTW, willpantin, I seem to remember you on the other side of the proverbial fence recently. If your beef is with me then please PM me or Ryan concerning it. I stand behind my actions.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Look, I don't know how I can be more forthcoming with people here. I maintain a thread with a changelog for the next version that all registered members can access. I've made posts throughout the hiatus letting people know what's going on with my life, and I'm generally not someone who talks a lot about myself to complete strangers.

I personally have standards which I like to maintain and I've been disappointed in myself for not keeping up with them. But guess what, I have a wife and a job which requires a lot of time from me (for example, I'll be out of the office traveling on business for the better part of the next two weeks). On top of that, I just don't do as much on the computer as I used to.

I tried to turn over this project to another person about 3 months ago mainly to keep everyone here happy. I was willing to let my name be taken off the pack in exchange for maintenance. Unfortunately, the person who was to be my successor disappeared. I don't know what happened to him. I'd like to know if for no other reason to know that he's OK IRL. His disappearance put me in a particularly bad spot because it meant that time I could have otherwise been spending on this work was instead used elsewhere as I thought I wouldn't be doing this work anymore.

But one thing about me. When I say I'll do something, I'll do it. I promised you guys an update, and an update you will be getting. If you want to see what all's going into it, check out the annoucement thread in Members Only.

Since everyone and their mother apparently need to know so bad what my future plans are, I'll say this much. I have no plans nor any desire to do anything Vista-related. If someone wants to step up to do it (and it appears someone already has), more power to them. Once SP3 ships for XP, I don't know if I will continue to maintain the post-SP2 pack. Given that SP3 is pretty much a post-SP2 hotfix rollup, I probably won't. I haven't made any decision yet as to whether or not I'll do a post-SP3 pack. It would be trivial for me to do so, but some members of the board are already doing so with the SP3 betas. If they're willing to continue them after SP3 ships, I'll probably get out of their way and let them continue on as maintainers of that branch.

As for friendliness toward newcomers, believe me I'm aware of the matter (and guilty of it myself at times). I know some of that has come from some of the past moderators of the place (some of you may have noticed that I did a little housecleaning in that respect awhile back, hence how 5eraph came to be one). However, I also believe that people have a right to say what they want to say, and be flamed for it if they're being assholes. I'm not going to censor people unless there's a truly pressing reason to do so. It may not be a popular stance, but tough, it's my board :P.

If I do end up stepping out of update pack game, I still want to make my forums relevant. I'll probably de-emphasize my own work and rearrange things a bit to let others show off their work better than now (as I've been promising Xable for awhile). I never thought this site and board would become as active as it's become. I think especially given the way my life is going, it's better for everyone if it revolves less around me and more around the community of contributors which has risen up.

OK, but enough rambling. None of what I just blogged about is going to happen tomorrow. Just some musings from me and a little insight. Now everybody shut up already and be patient. Your wait is nearly over :).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357