Update pack availibility

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
rbrijo

Update pack availibility

Post by rbrijo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:09 am

Hi,

Are you aware of any problems with the download of the update pack?

For the last couple of weeks I keep getting a server response "Service currently not available, try again back later."

Thank you

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:17 am

Use the torrent tracker or wait for a coupla days for the new pack Ryan has promised.

rbrijo

Post by rbrijo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:32 am

thanx.

R :)

lespea

Post by lespea » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:16 am

Just a FYI, ryan typically puts the files up on the torrent tracker before the website so I'd monitor the tracker so you get it asap.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am

Clearly download.ryanvm.net isn't cutting it as a download server. I'm going to try to find a better way to get the next pack posted so these kind of issues don't happen. But yeah, the tracker will almost certainly be the first place the next pack gets posted to.

Keep in mind, guys, that I'm out of town on business right now. 2.2.1 won't get posted until this weekend at the earliest. (And no, that's NOT a guarantee it'll be released this weekend). My only guarantee is that I'll release it when it's done and it WILL be sooner rather than later.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:08 am

Take your time Ryan.
A solid product is preferred over a rushed product.
Having said that, your 2.2.1beta is pretty damn solid! :)

V@no

Post by V@no » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Good news!
A quick question, will the pack include the lattest (December 11) updates?
I got 8 new updates yesterday.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 7-dec.mspx

Thanks.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Yes, V@no.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm

And congrats on having the most f'ed up avatar on my boards AFAIK.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm

:arrow:

smooth781

Post by smooth781 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Why not rapidshare or any of the other download sites?

con hacon

Post by con hacon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 am

Our company's filtering system blocks bit-torrents, and their sites, so I usually wait till updates appear on somewhere like Majorgeeks.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:18 pm

smooth781 wrote:Why not rapidshare or any of the other download sites?
Because they're all awful?

lespea

Post by lespea » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Ryan, I am using this new p2p file distribution/storage system called wua.la.

Everything is encrypted etc and it lets you assign permissions as to who can view what.

With your permission, I would be willing to make a group RyanVM and put files up there, then anybody who joins could put their releases or whatever on there as well.

Download speeds are fairly good, and the way the system works the files shouldn't ever "go down"

More info can be found at their website: wua.la or through a google tech talk

EneergE

I can provide a miror

Post by EneergE » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:59 pm

I have a 100mbit server I can host the file on for a little while. I would have to see how crowded the server would get. I don't currently use it for anything, but personal stuff, but if the server gets crowded quick, I might not be able to host it for very long. Can you give me details on how much bandwidth would be expected if I were to host it and, of course, if you were to allow me to do so?

~ EneergE

BTW, i accidently created another forum account using an e-mail that is hosted on a server that is currently down. If there is anyway I can get this account changed to simply EneergE and not eneerge2, I'd appreciate it :-)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Re: I can provide a miror

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 pm

EneergE2 wrote:I have a 100mbit server I can host the file on for a little while. I would have to see how crowded the server would get. I don't currently use it for anything, but personal stuff, but if the server gets crowded quick, I might not be able to host it for very long. Can you give me details on how much bandwidth would be expected if I were to host it and, of course, if you were to allow me to do so?
YGPM
BTW, i accidently created another forum account using an e-mail that is hosted on a server that is currently down. If there is anyway I can get this account changed to simply EneergE and not eneerge2, I'd appreciate it :-)
Done

kbharj

Post by kbharj » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:21 am

Any update Ryan?
Thanks in advance

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:21 am

A good place to host files is: http://archiv.to
250 MB size limited Not wait time and download limit.

Dietcoke

On the first page of forum

Post by Dietcoke » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:40 pm

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5618

"Correct. And given that I'll be traveling most of next week, it'll be at least the weekend after (aka, around the 15th or 16th), if not later. We shall see."

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 pm

http://archiv.to/?Module=Home&Lng=EN

for the english reading people =)
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:32 am

RyanVM wrote: the tracker will almost certainly be the first place the next pack gets posted to.
Not intending to be sarcastic or a dummy :oops: but have I somehow missed the update pack in the torrent tracker? ...am I looking in the wrong place? ...or is is just delayed?

Dietcoke

Post by Dietcoke » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:04 am

compstuff wrote: Not intending to be sarcastic or a dummy
At least read the thread you're posing the question on before asking.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:29 am

Dietcoke wrote:
Dietcoke why not just answer a straight question with a straight answer FFS.

Phred

Post by Phred » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:28 am

Jay wrote: Dietcoke why not just answer a straight question with a straight answer FFS.
Probably because Dc knows less than the rest of us, which is bugger all btw, witnessed by the fact that Dc didn't even quote the relevant information from the change log, instead quoting an older outdated post. Of course the relevant post says "Getting near to something which will be release-ready. It'll for sure be out by Thursday at the latest."

Phred

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 am

Dietcoke wrote:
DC... I almost don't know where to begin to respond to such a comment... but rather than flame you for it I would rather give you advice and recommend that you don't "assume" anything about what someone does or doesn't do on the thread... my post was extremely relevant and respectful to Ryan and the moderators here... all of whom I think are amazing. I can also assure you that I read the threads very carefully and I also belong to and read some of the other members forums as well... all without incident or complaints by me.

As a new member please show more patience and understanding when posting... if you can't help or be constructive please at least try and refrain from counterproductive posts.

Welcome and enjoy the forum

Dietcoke

Post by Dietcoke » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:25 pm

compstuff wrote: As a new member please show more patience and understanding when posting... if you can't help or be constructive please at least try and refrain from counterproductive posts.
I apologize for assuming that you hadn't read the thread.

Every time Ryan has released an update pack he has announced it in a separate thread here. There hasn't been a thread so far. That'd mean that the update pack isn't ready.

As for patience and understanding, I know what you're saying. However, I've been in enough projects that it gets really old and demotivating to have to keep answering the same questions. The first post I made was patient. Any number of mods and Ryan himself have answered these questions already. What is counterproductive is multiple people posting "Are we there yet?" over and over in different threads, instead of waiting for the developer(s) to make an official announcement. Why is it that hard?

And Phred, please. I completely understand that there's a changelog and that is a useful tool to a degree. There is absolutely nothing in the statement on Saturday that changes any of the information that he'd already posted. You can think that you're more informed than I am. I can think that I'm Santa Claus. That doesn't make either true, and nothing that changelog says contradicts my post.

Proxis

Post by Proxis » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Ryan works hard for all of us and I believe that only positive posts and thoughts can help make that work perfectly done. :wink:
There can be millions of reasons why new version of updatepack is not released yet :!:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm

I'm going to put a beta on the tracker later tonight. Keep an eye on the RSS feed.

I'm flying out for the holidays and won't have time to put the finishing touches on it before I leave tomorrow.

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm

I am amazed by the number of people that apparently don't read any of the posts about the update pack and just constantly ask when it will be ready. Just in this thread it had been mentioned after Dec 16 a few times not to mention all the other posts. In case any of you missed it in the Dec updates there is one KB942615 causing problems for some people. I uninstalled it because IE kept crashing. Ryan spends lots of time making and testing a free product. How many have ever donated?
Joe

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 pm

Joe S wrote:I am amazed by the number of people that apparently don't read any of the posts about the update pack and just constantly ask when it will be ready. Just in this thread it had been mentioned after Dec 16 a few times not to mention all the other posts. In case any of you missed it in the Dec updates there is one KB942615 causing problems for some people. I uninstalled it because IE kept crashing. Ryan spends lots of time making and testing a free product. How many have ever donated?
Joe
I too am often amazed at the same exact thing, but when a question is asked I try my best to determine if it has been asked out of laziness or confusion.... they are quite different... I then respond accordingly

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Proxis wrote:Ryan works hard for all of us and I believe that only positive posts and thoughts can help make that work perfectly done. :wink:
There can be millions of reasons why new version of updatepack is not released yet :!:
I couldn't agree more... and the fact that this is done at all is nothing short of amazing!!! I for one am extremely greatful for anything and everything done on this forum

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Every time Ryan has released an update pack he has announced it in a separate thread here. There hasn't been a thread so far. That'd mean that the update pack isn't ready.
I can't actually speak to what Ryan has or hasn't done in the past but from reading his posts(yes a dig :wink: ) I am very aware that his schedule and life has changed significantly so I did not want to take anything for granted.
Any number of mods and Ryan himself have answered these questions already. What is counterproductive is multiple people posting "Are we there yet?" over and over in different threads, instead of waiting for the developer(s) to make an official announcement. Why is it that hard?
I do understand your point and YES I could have clarified my question much better BUT no one has ever "answered these questions" because it was MY question wondering if I was making a mistake and I was wondering if I was looking in the wrong place... and yes after re-reading my question I should have went to bed and asked it the next day in a much more concise manner LOL

Honestly I do not want to take this thread of track so lets forget my mistake and move on... no worries :)

israel_v

Post by israel_v » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi everyone, let us just cooperate in evaluating Ryan's current beta release. I'm sure all our feedbacks will help him finalize the release.

Dietcoke

Compstuff

Post by Dietcoke » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 am

Compstuff - sounds like we're essentially meeting towards the middle. If not, I'll just say that I could have had a little more eggnog and a little less caffeine and will raise a toast to Ryan for his work!