"usbehci.sys could not be found"

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Post Reply
dgould324
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

"usbehci.sys could not be found"

Post by dgould324 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 am

I am getting an error "The file usbehci.sys could not be found" when I try to install from a CD. I used RVM_Integrator_1.4.3 and RVMUpdatePack2.1.11. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to figure it out. I have read over the instructions.

User avatar
Stimpy
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Denmark

Post by Stimpy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 am

Hi dgould324,

Can you tell us a bit more info, like what was the original source disk, and what other addons did you use etc...

User avatar
pen25jf
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Post by pen25jf » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:30 am

This file's the USB 2.0 host controller for XP (correct me if I'm missing something). Should be in your system32 folder, but as Stimpy said, more info.'s needed to help - what packs are you integrating?

User avatar
runningfool87
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Post by runningfool87 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:56 am

Bad source file. check for the file on your WinXP cd (should be named "usbehci.sy_" or something like that). if you can copy that file to your desktop, then your disk is fina and you should re-download the update packs and try again.

dgould324
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Post by dgould324 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Win XP SP2. No other add-on, just the update. usbehci.sy_ is on the CD in the I386 directory and usbehci.sys is on the CD in the I386\Driver.cab.

Not trying to do anything fancy. The CD will boot and starts to install then dies.

User avatar
redxii
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Post by redxii » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Install this: http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/winmd5sum

And make sure the MD5 sum of the update pack file is this: 2A1534598304646757CFE6D8C6F0F221

Even if the file exists and there are no read errors on the CD, XP setup may also say that corrupt files are missing.

dgould324
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Post by dgould324 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Check sums match.

User avatar
Stimpy
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Denmark

Post by Stimpy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:06 pm

These missing file problems can be caused by many things, including problems with your computer being overclocked, to the CD being burned too fast!

Do you check your new builds with a virtual PC?

dgould324
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Post by dgould324 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:11 pm

I have to leave the office now. I will try the virtual machine route tomorrow.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:19 pm

If I had to wager a guess, I'd go with a bad CD
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

TechnoHunter
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 am

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:31 am

along the lines of the "bad cd" answer.. i found that if i am not carefull making my disc i sometimes forget to check nero's settings before actually burning.. it recently changed (or i just noticed, whichever!) nero now defaults to track-at-once instead of disc-at-once.. which of course for me, gives the same damn error that you report, missing files that ARE there :)

anyhoo.. just something else to check.. (make sure that you have it set to disc-at-once if you use nero! )

TechnoHunter

dgould324
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Post by dgould324 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks for all of the help. I ended up going back and starting from the very begening. New copy of my XP disk, new download of SP2, slipstreamed, tested that and then used the Ryan's Integrator. It is installing on a virtual machine now.

Thanks again.

MrWoo
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Post by MrWoo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:06 am

That is a recurring problem. It is because it is not all caps. Change it to all caps USBEHCI.SY_ and the problem will go away. Same goes for the WIN51IP.SP2 file on the cd root.

For whatever reason some sp2 slipstreams do this. I have a script that changes those for me after slipstream. Worth mentioning the same thing happens in home vesions too.

I use grub4dos as my loader, and use mkisofs to create my image. Then I burn with whatever app that burns images. Strangely enough I have found that I have to use Lupas to change all files needed during text mode install to uppercase or they will not be found. Within windows the problem does not exist. Go figure.

MrWoo

Post Reply