[BETA] Update Pack 2.2.1b3 + Integrator 1.5RC1

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Hello Folks,

About the Advanced INF restart issue:

I edited the RVMUpPck.inf file in the manner suggestd earlier in this thread and repackaged it in 7z. The restart issue showed up as if nothing had happened.
I looked over my edits several times and it seems exactly as suggested.

Did this work for anyone?

Would it be possible to post an official beta4 update pack with this fix? (if indeed it is a fix, and I am the culprit)

SymSpaceT

EDIT (Jan. 29)
I started over from scratch (downloaded the pack anew and edited the inf file again) and it seems to be working indeed. Seems like I was at fault, sorry.
Last edited by SymSpaceT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe S

Beta Pack

Post by Joe S » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:29 pm

I just finished testing an ISO made with the latest update pack and Dec addons and still got Kabul time. I don't have Realtech drivers that I know of.
Joe

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am

I have 1 Realtech LAN card and 1 Realtech Sound card. I have no problems but i have only SATA Drivers in my UT CD and i include all addons with nLite v1.4.1
dolivas wrote:Are you by chance using Rick Genuine Advantage AddOn or any other WGA addon if you are using Ricks that is what is causing the problem.
And how can i include the WGAV addon without getting the KB898461 showing up in Windows Update ?

And is in the RyanUpdatePack also the Uptodata MicrosoftUpdateEngine and WindowsUpdateEngine ?

dolivas

Post by dolivas » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 am

@Outbreaker I use xable WGAV and do not have any problems with KB898461 http://xable.net/forums/viewforum.php?id=3

Cee-Kay

Post by Cee-Kay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:52 pm

• Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM
  • RyanVM's Update Pack (v2.2.1 Beta 3 w/ fixed T13) integrated using (Integrator v1.5 RC2)
No time zone issues to report so far (using VMware), although I do have Realtek HDA on my laptop so I'll post back with my findings as soon as I've tested it! :)

Microsoft Update looking like it should (minus the expected IE7/WMP updates).

Btw a newer version of the Root Certificates update is out (digital cert. 22nd Dec '07): Link

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:59 pm

dolivas wrote:@Outbreaker I use xable WGAV and do not have any problems with KB898461 http://xable.net/forums/viewforum.php?id=3
mmm i use this also do you include the also addon after the UpdatePack ?

dolivas

Post by dolivas » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Outbreaker wrote:
dolivas wrote:@Outbreaker I use xable WGAV and do not have any problems with KB898461 http://xable.net/forums/viewforum.php?id=3
mmm i use this also do you include the also addon after the UpdatePack ?
Yes I use this and his WGAN with the updatepack with out the problem you are having.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:21 pm

benjamminzIS wrote::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: what are you talking about? how was I rude to anyone? I'm so confused now... you must have completely misunderstood what I said or something... seriously don't know what you're going on about... I haven't complained about anything not working... as far as this update pack is concerned because I have not used it! So anyways nothing to complain about here... I was only agreeing with someone who had mentioned something about update packs with bugs in them creating more adverse effects down the road... that is all.
My apologies, I grossly misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

laser21

Post by laser21 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:50 am

Hi, am I so stupid, or was it discussed somewhere else? What inf do I have to edit?

or is there and updated pack already??

Thanks a lot, bye

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:25 am

If you're talking about OnePiece's Advanced INF fix then the file you should edit is RVMUpPck.inf.

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:54 am

Hello all,

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I read through this thread, all the tests that people have made so far are are "too complex" in the sense that they always seem to include some third-fourth addon or update pack besides the basic "WinXP + Ryan update pack beta" setup.

So I decided to actually do this test:

WinXP Pro SP2 English-US (OEM) + RyanVM's current beta update pack (with the INF edit)
using the RVM integrator 1.5RC1

and NOTHING else: no addons, no tweaks, no slim-downs, no unattended.

I ran this installation on MS VirtualPC 2007 and patiently entered all the info for an unattended setup (including my timezone, which is not Kabul) and waited anxiously as the final boot dragged on...

only to find myself in Kabul again.

So this, indeed seems something pertaining to the update pack and not to any of the other stuff.

It remains a mystery to me how I actually did not have this error for like 3-4 tests of mine in the beginning (see one of my earlier posts) but statred show up later.

SymSpaceT

EDIT:
My apologies, it does seem that CEE-Kay did this test (a few posts up) and did not get the KabulTZ; however, it was not clear from hos post weather he/she used unattended setup or not.
EDIT again: I was using the RC1 version of the integrator, not the RC3 version -- maybe it's all in the integrator?
Last edited by SymSpaceT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

laser21

Post by laser21 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

5eraph wrote:If you're talking about OnePiece's Advanced INF fix then the file you should edit is RVMUpPck.inf.
Thanks, thats it!!

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm

SymSpaceT wrote:Hello all,

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I read through this thread, all the tests that people have made so far are are "too complex" in the sense that they always seem to include some third-fourth addon or update pack besides the basic "WinXP + Ryan update pack beta" setup.

So I decided to actually do this test:

WinXP Pro SP2 English-US (OEM) + RyanVM's current beta update pack (with the INF edit)
using the RVM integrator 1.5RC1

and NOTHING else: no addons, no tweaks, no slim-downs, no unattended.

I ran this installation on MS VirtualPC 2007 and patiently entered all the info for an unattended setup (including my timezone, which is not Kabul) and waited anxiously as the final boot dragged on...

only to find myself in Kabul again.

So this, indeed seems something pertaining to the update pack and not to any of the other stuff.

It remains a mystery to me how I actually did not have this error for like 3-4 tests of mine in the beginning (see one of my earlier posts) but statred show up later.

SymSpaceT

EDIT:
My apologies, it does seem that CEE-Kay did this test (a few posts up) and did not get the KabulTZ; however, it was not clear from hos post weather he/she used unattended setup or not.
EDIT again: I was using the RC1 version of the integrator, not the RC3 version -- maybe it's all in the integrator?
Test it with the now Integrator RC3 and whit nLite v1.4.1

I include many addons an have no TimeZone problem but i use also nLite.
In my option it is not a UpdatePack problem.

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:06 pm

SymSpaceT wrote:EDIT again: I was using the RC1 version of the integrator, not the RC3 version -- maybe it's all in the integrator?
I believe it was an integrator problem, not update pack... hence the reason for RC2/RC3/RC3a/3b and now finally RC3c. I have been using RC3c with no issues so far, flawless integrations and tests and live installs to this point, many addons, IE7 and wmp11 included... no issues at all!!! Loving it!
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

benjamminzIS wrote: I have been using RC3c with no issues so far, flawless integrations and tests and live installs to this point, many addons, IE7 and wmp11 included... no issues at all!!! Loving it!
This bragging has to be stopped. I am totally green with envy... :evil:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

2.2.1b3 and 1.5 RC3c are working as expected (no timezone issues) when integrating in Windows XP x64 and installing the ISO in VMware Server. Integrating in Ubuntu 7.10 with Wine is another matter. :?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

5eraph wrote:Integrating in Ubuntu 7.10 with Wine is another matter. :?
You may find some helpful wine tips here. BTW, if you haven't tried SimplyMEPIS 7.0, you ought to give it a peek. Well worth your while.

DeaDruiD

Post by DeaDruiD » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:04 am

KB944092 replaces KB940322... any reason not to include it in the pack?

oh, and KB946629 replaces 941037, KB933008-v3 replaces 944781, KB938596 replaces 905749, KB940350-v2 replaces 935448, KB940275-v3 replaces 930178 (but adds crypt32.dll)
Last edited by DeaDruiD on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

HJW
XPu Master

Post by HJW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 am

DeaDruiD wrote:KB944092 replaces KB940322... any reason not to include it in the pack?
Since it is only available 5days after Ryan posted his beta updatepack here. So how could he include hotfixes that have been released afterwards ;)

However thanks for your tip about this :)

dnoiz

FINAL 2.2.1

Post by dnoiz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 am

Any ETA on this pack (final 2.2.1) ? I want to reinstall my laptop and I'm waiting ... :). If I missed this info anywhere in this forum I apologize.

R.

DeaDruiD

Post by DeaDruiD » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:02 am

HJW wrote:
DeaDruiD wrote:KB944092 replaces KB940322... any reason not to include it in the pack?
Since it is only available 5days after Ryan posted his beta updatepack here. So how could he include hotfixes that have been released afterwards ;)

However thanks for your tip about this :)
I know, but changelog for the next pack was updated yesterday

EaglePC

Re: FINAL 2.2.1

Post by EaglePC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:16 pm

dnoiz wrote:Any ETA on this pack (final 2.2.1) ? I want to reinstall my laptop and I'm waiting ... :). If I missed this info anywhere in this forum I apologize.

R.
XP ServicePack III Final will be out 1st LOL

Sorry

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:29 pm

my guess is the 2nd week of feb

Cee-Kay

Post by Cee-Kay » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:21 pm

SymSpaceT wrote:[Snip]

EDIT:

[/Snip]
Sorry for any confusion caused, the installation was indeed unattended (using VMware), with OemPreinstall = Off and no RegTweaks used. For anyone interested I used the following line in my WINNT.SIF...

Code: Select all

[GuiUnattended]
    TimeZone = 105
(GMT+01:00 - Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris) I believe it's called Romance Standard Time? Fortunately it worked first time, but I usually test things in isolation anyway (far less agro IMO).

EDIT: When I get more time I'll see if the installation of the Realtek HDA drivers (during setup) contributes to this problem or not.

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Outbreaker wrote:Test it with the now Integrator RC3 and whit nLite v1.4.1

I include many addons an have no TimeZone problem but i use also nLite.
In my option it is not a UpdatePack problem.
Well, I tested it with the latest integrator and I unfortunately still got transported to Kabul:

- Ryan' s 2.2.1b3 with advanced INF reboot edit
- Latest Integrator 1.5RC3. (I also, by accident tested with 1.4.3, same)
- NOTHING else (not even unattended, entered everything manually)
- MS Virtual PC 2007, 256MB Ram, 5GB harddisk, internet-connected during installation
- Made the iso with the integrator

I also made a test with nLite but with drivers, Ie7, WMP10 etc and also got the KabulTZ.

Now...

Can somebody "in charge" (inasmuch as this can be interpreted in a volunteer community) tell me what is the status of this problem?
What should we, unlucky people stuck in Kabul, do for further testing?

Seems like the worst type of problem to me, the needle in the haystack kind.
I am especially frustrated since it did work for me for the first few runs using nLite and the heck I don't know what I changed.
By the way, the thing I do remember is when I used nLite and got the Kabul curse, another important setting also stopped working at the same time: I set the Windows Update to "Notify, but do not download", and this gets changed (or ignored) to "Automaticaly download and install" which I most definitely want to avoid.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SymSpaceT

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:14 am

can you export a reg file at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\
and send me a private msg?

I would like to try to help investigate but don't have the time to do a full install in VPC on my computer.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:33 am

EaglePC wrote:XP ServicePack III Final will be out 1st LOL

Sorry
ccl0 wrote:my guess is the 2nd week of feb
Service Pack 3 cames +/- in June out that is what Microsoft says.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 am

Where has MS ever said that?

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:33 am

TJHart85 wrote:My apologies, I grossly misunderstood what you were trying to say.
no apology needed, but accepted!
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 am

Like i see they have change the date form 2H to 1H
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecy ... packs.mspx
But i dont thing it will be out in next Mount.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Outbreaker wrote:
EaglePC wrote:XP ServicePack III Final will be out 1st LOL

Sorry
ccl0 wrote:my guess is the 2nd week of feb
Service Pack 3 cames +/- in June out that is what Microsoft says.

i'm not sure why my name is in there, but my reply was in regards to the eta of ryan's pack O_o

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 pm

It seems KB947279 obsoletes KB942763. I hope the timezone issue doesnt occur with new hotfix. I'll request that fix and see what happens.
Edit: Umm, 947279 is not cumulative :?

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Some more tests:

1. As before:
- Ryan' s 2.2.1b3 with advanced INF reboot edit
- Latest Integrator 1.5RC3. (I also, by accident tested with 1.4.3, same)
- NOTHING else (not even unattended, entered everything manually)
- MS Virtual PC 2007, 256MB Ram, 5GB harddisk, internet-connected during installation
- Made the iso with the integrator

This repeatedly produced the KabulTZ

2. Using the same setup, but using a DIFFERENT update pack with updates up to January 2008 (supposed to be based on the RyanVM pack):

Produced NO Kabul TZ issue

What is the protocol regarding naming other update packs here?

3. Using the fix discussed in this thread:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5786

but using nLite and a couple of addons, drivers.

(WHY isn't this "fix" mentioned here? In fact, it is not "revealed" over there how this "fix" works - why?)

Produces NO Kabul TZ issue; however, automatic updates are turned on despite setting it to "Notify, but do not download" in nLite.

So....

It seems the bug is well-defined and it is in the pack.

SymSpaceT

P.S.: I will not be running any tests, had enough.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:53 pm

I'd imagine the reason that it hasn't been recommended as a permanent solution is because it's not elegant. The purpose of an Update Pack is to avoid adding update packages to SVCPACK by adding their contents directly to the installation source. It seems obvious that Microsoft has changed something in this particular package to prevent it in this case.

What makes this problem particularly maddening is that it cannot be reproduced 100% of the time. It does not occur for me in VMware Server, for example, yet it seems to happen more often than not with nonvirtual installations for others.
SymSpaceT wrote:What is the protocol regarding naming other update packs here?
Give the creator's name and the pack name given in the thread title. If it cannot be found on this site then please provide a link to its homepage or another site where more information can be found. It would be interesting to see how this other pack gets around the issue.

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:30 pm

I just completed two installs, one with a copy of MCE and another with Home OEM. Both report that I've been transported to Kabul. Funny, it doesn't look any different from Murfreesboro....
Visit me at home: http://xptsp.filetap.com

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 am

This is not related to the time issue!

I have just noticed that the file Halmacpi.dll, (which is part of KB896256) does not seem to get installed during Windows Setup. The file is inside Ryans pack, and also present on the CD after Integrating Ryans latest beta3, but it does not get copied over after Windows has finnished installing.

I have tested this on a dual core machine, in VMWare 6, with the number of CPUs set to 2. The file is also not present on a live running dual core machine. There should be no reason that this file is not valid for my machine.

Can you have a look in to this please Ryan?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Stimpy wrote:This is not related to the time issue!

I have just noticed that the file Halmacpi.dll, (which is part of KB896256) does not seem to get installed during Windows Setup. The file is inside Ryans pack, and also present on the CD after Integrating Ryans latest beta3, but it does not get copied over after Windows has finnished installing.

I have tested this on a dual core machine, in VMWare 6, with the number of CPUs set to 2. The file is also not present on a live running dual core machine. There should be no reason that this file is not valid for my machine.

Can you have a look in to this please Ryan?
Actually that file resides in driver.cab after integration.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Siginet, do you have any idea why its not being loaded?

I have checked on the ms site, and as my PC is a multicore ACPI PC, so that file should be loaded.

I have checked in the device manager, and it confirms that I have a "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", but when I check the driver details, it does not list Halmacpi.dll as one of the drivers.

This KB article lists the available modes, and what Hal they are supposed to use. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us

Any ideas?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Stimpy, that is not a problem with the Update Pack. ;)

I suspect that HALMACPI.DLL gets copied over as HAL.DLL on systems that need it similar to the way that MSI31.DLL gets copied over as MSI.DLL from KB927891.

Here are a couple screen captures given as anecdotal proof. Megan-PC is an install from RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.10. Duality is installed from an unmodified XP x64 SP2 source. These are not virtual machines. They are using an AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ and an AMD Opteron 185, respectively; both are dual core processors.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:27 pm

5eraph wrote:Stimpy, that is not a problem with the Update Pack. ;)
5eraph, you are 100% correct. There are 3 files that remain the same, regardless of system type. Microsoft builds the different kernel files but renames them upon installation:

Image Image Image

These screenshots come from my Q6600-powered XP MCE2005 install (P965 mobo).

- Jason

=====
Edit: Irregardless is not a word.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Nice work 5eraph. I thought I was on to something then! :wink:

And thanks for the confirmation Jason.

redxii

Post by redxii » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Are the binary values in rvmhive.inf not supposed to be in quotes? Does it matter? I look at it and think that Windows is parsing each hex value as an inf option.

like:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central Standard Time\Dynamic DST","2006",1,"68,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,0a,00,00,00,05,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00"
instead of:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central Standard Time\Dynamic DST","2006",1,68,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,0a,00,00,00,05,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm

redxii I don't think that this is the case, because quotes are used unly for strings. Thats why the 2006 is within quotes.
So the structure is:
Key name, Type, Value

BTW are you guys using tools like INF Tool
http://www.inner-smile.com/dl_inf.htm (lite version is free for personal use)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:44 pm

*selfman, try reading a few threads finding related inf file talk
then start by a few basics on how to write you're own .. better then infTool

good luck.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:35 am

HAHHAHAHAHAH inftool AHAHAH i'll just go and keep laughing to myself in my little corner.

fly

Post by fly » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:40 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:HAHHAHAHAHAH inftool AHAHAH i'll just go and keep laughing to myself in my little corner.
Does belittling others suggestions make you feel better inside?

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm

Does belittling others suggestions make you feel better inside?
He laughs because .inf syntax and structure is much larger than that little tool can even approach. I have used it. It does work for very simple things. However, if you plan on doing any .inf creation or editing, then you will have the distinct pleasure of learning it from the ground up. It is always helpful to head to msfn and look up gosh's webpage. A good starting point with pretty good explanations. Gosh's info is not really to teach you .inf, but more of an example of different .inf's structures and why they are structured so. It is oriented towards specific areas, but the way it is laid out and explained helped me get a grasp before I started in on the real documentation. Then you can start collecting your favorite pages of insights regarding .inf structure/syntax.

To be sure it is not for noobs, but at the same time, once you learn it, it is sooo helpful in sooo many situations.

Woo.

fly

Post by fly » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:21 pm

MrWoo wrote: He laughs because .inf syntax and structure is much larger than that little tool can even approach. I have used it. It does work for very simple things. However, if you plan on doing any .inf creation or editing, then you will have the distinct pleasure of learning it from the ground up. It is always helpful to head to msfn and look up gosh's webpage. A good starting point with pretty good explanations. Gosh's info is not really to teach you .inf, but more of an example of different .inf's structures and why they are structured so. It is oriented towards specific areas, but the way it is laid out and explained helped me get a grasp before I started in on the real documentation. Then you can start collecting your favorite pages of insights regarding .inf structure/syntax.

To be sure it is not for noobs, but at the same time, once you learn it, it is sooo helpful in sooo many situations.

Woo.
Thank you for explaining the whole thing rather than pointing and laughing at someone who was trying to input an honest suggestion. :clap:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:33 pm

RVM Integrator v1.5 RC4b is now online:
http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/i ... ons&id=144

RC3 was very solid. There weren't any bugs I had to fix Unless you count Linux (WINE) compatability. ;)

I have added many new Unattended Parameters which can be used in your own programs/batch scripts to utalize the integrator. :)

This should become v1.5 final. Unless I broke something new. :P So please test it and make sure it is ready. Please... no more requests of new features! If you want to request new features for v1.6 there is a thread on my forums. ;) This very well should put v1.5 into final.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm

:)
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources