IE Icon Missing In Desktop Tab in Display Properties

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Post Reply
User avatar
MrNxDmX
Moderator
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 am

IE Icon Missing In Desktop Tab in Display Properties

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:51 pm

IE Icon Missing In Desktop Tab in Display Properties

I have encountered this issue in my update pack, also my users did. I was thinking about an ie7 bug or sth about ie7. Not sure about Ryans pack.

After some search on google, i found this.
Talking about KB943460 (shell32.dll update, version 5.1.2600.3243). Kb943460 causes this error in Desktop Tab in Display Properties.

I couldnt find a registry tweak to re-show ie icon in desktop tab. But found out that this tweaks controls the IE icon on desktop.(Also mentioned on link i gave)

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
inf version

Code: Select all

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel","{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}",0x10001,00,00,00,00
Edit: Found this too.
Edit2: This link explains the registry tweak above: KB555849.
Also this topic explains the issue in detail.

Miteto
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 am

Post by Miteto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:49 am

Does it effect the latest beta of Ryan's update pack since this hotfix is replaced with KB944781 ?

BTW, this hotfix - KB943460, causes language salad on systems with LIP applied.

colornokia
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:28 am
Location: Bulgaria

Post by colornokia » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 am

Miteto wrote: BTW, this hotfix - KB943460, causes language salad on systems with LIP applied.
Change the version of shell32.dll.mui to 6.0.2900.3241, reboot and everthing will be just fine ;)

PsiMoon314
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, UK

Post by PsiMoon314 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi,

I came up with the following registry work-around which adds an option to enable and disable the Internet Explorer Desktop Icon via:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab.

The first part of the .REG file below adds an option "Show Internet Explorer icon on the desktop" as a Tick option:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\InternetExplorerOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001
The second part of the .REG file just adds the Icon back to the Desktop straight-away.

Kind Regards

Simon

User avatar
MrNxDmX
Moderator
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 am

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm

PsiMoon314, its great to see that option.

OMG, that will help me put anything to folder options :)

Edit:
Miteto wrote:Does it effect the latest beta of Ryan's update pack since this hotfix is replaced with KB944781 ?
Dont know this yet. I'll try.

Sereby
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Post by Sereby » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 am

http://www.msfn.org/board/Missing-Check ... 06801.html

its not only with new shell32.dll
its the same problem when integrating only IE7

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 am

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi,

I came up with the following registry work-around which adds an option to enable and disable the Internet Explorer Desktop Icon via:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab.

The first part of the .REG file below adds an option "Show Internet Explorer icon on the desktop" as a Tick option:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\InternetExplorerOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001
The second part of the .REG file just adds the Icon back to the Desktop straight-away.

Kind Regards

Simon
Doesn''t work for me. I see the new check box in the folder options, but that's about all.. I do have the update that removed the IE entry from the desktop settings.

Al.

User avatar
cyberloner
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:13 am
Location: http://www.cybermania.ws
Contact:

Post by cyberloner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 pm

i have found that my show ie on desktop is gone... sob sob

PsiMoon314
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, UK

Post by PsiMoon314 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi,
Doesn''t work for me. I see the new check box in the folder options, but that's about all.. I do have the update that removed the IE entry from the desktop settings
.

Did you try ticking and unticking the option to see what happens?

Generally a refresh of the desktop might make the icon show up quicker.

However I find that the IE icon shows up almost immediately when you press "Apply".

Kind Regards

Simon

User avatar
cyberloner
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:13 am
Location: http://www.cybermania.ws
Contact:

Post by cyberloner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm

is this problem is cause by new shell32?

User avatar
MrNxDmX
Moderator
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 am

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Yep, we suppose so. I'll try an integration with only my ie7 addon, in order to see if ie7 is the cause. But AFAIK, latest shell32.dll updates causes this...

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:50 am

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi,
Doesn''t work for me. I see the new check box in the folder options, but that's about all.. I do have the update that removed the IE entry from the desktop settings
.

Did you try ticking and unticking the option to see what happens?

Generally a refresh of the desktop might make the icon show up quicker.

However I find that the IE icon shows up almost immediately when you press "Apply".

Kind Regards

Simon
Ticked and unticked many times with apply. Logged off an on again.
Did a shutdown restart.

Did anyone else with KB943460 installed get this to work?

Al

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:47 am

OK, I see what the problem is. There are two possible registry entries that can be changed depending on your setup - ClassicStartMenu or NewStartPanel. Ticking the Show IE box in the folder options only changes NewStartPanel from 1 to 0. I am using Windows classic and that value needs to be changed from 1 to 0 instead for IE to appear on the desktop. The second part of the original reg entries posted by PsiMoon314 should have been set to zero to make IE appear on the desktop. Both reg entries cover Classic and Standard DTs, but the folder option check box reg entries are only valid for the Standard DT.

Al
Last edited by adric on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nonno fabio
Posts: 1627
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:36 am
Location: Northern Italy
Contact:

Post by nonno fabio » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:18 am

We have discussed time ago about missing IE icon and I think it's not a real bug but a MS decision.
Both newer shell32.dll and XP SP3 don't show the IE icon option in Desktop Properties.
So, as MS decided there will be no more IE icon in desktop, why be worried?
Don't ask for a different configuration of Onepiece's XP AIO Update Pack: use one of the existing vanilla XP UpdatePack with your preferred addons instead

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Who's worried. :D MS decided to remove the check box and PsiMoon314 came up with a replacement solution. :)

Al ( I don't even use IE ) Adric

User avatar
MrNxDmX
Moderator
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 am

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 pm

OffTopic:
hey adric, what does "Al" means? I always see it in ur posts.

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 am

MrNxDmX wrote:OffTopic:
hey adric, what does "Al" means? I always see it in ur posts.
Al is a nickname and comes from the name Alfred.

Al

Miteto
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 am

Post by Miteto » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Probably you already know that but - using latest beta of Ryan's Update Pack and NR_IE7en_Addon_1.0.7_alt, IE checkbox is still missing.

Offtopic: colornokia I once used you help on a similar matter - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=#51199. Your knowlege helped a lot of our fellow bulgarians - .http://www.kaldata.com/forums/index.php ... t&p=745276

PsiMoon314
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, UK

Post by PsiMoon314 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:29 am

Hi,
adric wrote:OK, I see what the problem is. There are two possible registry entries that can be changed depending on your setup - ClassicStartMenu or NewStartPanel. Ticking the Show IE box in the folder options only changes NewStartPanel from 1 to 0.
Al
Is there anyway I can add both IE options to this tick option, or do I need two separate entries depending on the type of desktop?

Kind Regards

Simon

adric
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

Post by adric » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:36 am

My guess would be that you need to define another check box since regpath can only be one or the other. I can't really say for sure though.

Al

PsiMoon314
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, UK

Post by PsiMoon314 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi,

I have worked on a alternative registry hack which might work:

Code: Select all

 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Internet Explorer]
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
  00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,\
  48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,34,00,00,\
  00
"Type"="group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Internet Explorer\InternetExplorerOnStandardDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Internet Explorer icon on the Standard Desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Internet Explorer\InternetExplorerOnClassicDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\ClassicStartMenu"
"Text"="Show Internet Explorer icon on the Classic Desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
This adds a new folder icon to the Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Menu called "Internet Explorer" with two options:

"Show Internet Explorer icon on the Classic Desktop" and
"Show Internet Explorer icon on the Standard Desktop"

Hopefully this should then work on all desktop types, althought I personally only use the Standard Desktop so I cannot say for sure this will work.

Kind Regards

Simon

Post Reply