Possible issue w/ recabbing and IE7

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RogueSpear

Possible issue w/ recabbing and IE7

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm not even sure where to begin here as I've spent the last 2 days doing almost nothing but try to figure this out. Ok, I was constantly getting a pair of error dialog boxes at first user logon post XP setup:

and

I was unable to locate any event log entries related to this issue and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in setuperr.log. Further, automatic updates was reporting that two IE7 hotfixes needed to be downloaded and installed. When I did that the two dialog boxes above no longer appeared at logon.

Through a lot of testing and some basic process of elimination it seems that one of two things is happening. Either the recompress plugin is doing something wrong with NR's IE7 addon or there is something about that addon which needs to be coded differently in order for the recompress plugin to work with it.

What I ended up doing was completely forgoing the recompression of not only all addons, but the update pack as well. I wish I could give some more concrete answers and solutions here, but after dedicating two days to this, I really need to catch up on the ever growing list tasks I have to do at work.

Some further information I can provide is that I have been using the cache driver.cab and optimize files features in all scenarios, so I don't think there's an issue with those.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 pm

This error means something tried to call a function in urlmon.dll and inetcpl.cpl at first run (probably rundll32 entries or others in hkcu runonce or hklm runonce) and the function it was calling was not there....

Check the fileversions on these 2 files and in the addon. Then see in the addon how this file is referenced and compare before/after using the plugin

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:14 am

Can you please share the re-compressed addon? I want to have check the files by myself :wink:

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 am

MrNxDmX wrote:Can you please share the re-compressed addon? I want to have check the files by myself :wink:
I already deleted it, however all I did was use the recompress plugin with v1.5.1 on it. Oh and I made no modifications to the addon (reg tweaks). What I will do today is test run an install with nothing but the update pack recabbed, and then a test run with the update pack and your IE7 addon both recabbed. If that works then I will try update pack normal and IE7 recabbed. I don't know that I will get to do all three tests today but I will report back.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:24 pm

Ok, i'll wait for your response.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Should I be attempting this with 1.09a or 1.10 ? I mean, did you find something in 1.10 that could have been the issue?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:07 pm

IMO, if u used 109a with RVMi 1.5.1 (final, rc or beta), it would cause errors, as it had i386_compress section for RVMi 1.4.3 in it. Some files that are already present on the cd, could get compressed 2 times, and that couldt cause it. But there should be no issues with 110 and RVMi 1.5.1.

So in conclusion, you should attempt it with 1.0.9a versions :)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:16 pm

I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but if there's a known incompatibility with 1.09a and Integrator v1.5.1, then I'll do some experimentation using v1.10 to ensure that there are not any problems with it. I'm just getting hammered with work the last few weeks and for the next few to come.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Ok mate, i'll try re-compression plugin soon, too. No need to hurry, your life is more important than addons :wink:

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Since this hasn't been mentioned yet, trying to call 'CreateUri' in urlmon.dll looks like a typo to me.. surely it should be 'CreateUrl'? Perhaps you can hex-edit the offending file, though I have no idea whether or not this would be stored with some kind of encoding.

Edit: or uh, edit the offending reg entry, if that's where the problem lies. Since Rundll32 is making the call, what is telling it to?

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:03 am

I cant believe i didn't catch that.... very good question!

at least its a start :)

TechnoHunter

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:44 pm

URI is a proper term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Aah, thank you Ryan. The term did tickle my memory, but it's been several months since I worked with this stuff.
Dependency Walker tells me that there is a CreateUri function in urlmon.dll (and from that I imagine that whatever RunDLL is trying to call in InetCpl.cpl is probably there too).

So, it's either not finding either of the files (would it give these error messages if it wasn't?), the files are being corrupted, or they're of an older version (though CreateUri seems like an essential function that would have been around for a while). Since urlmon.dll is in system32, Rundll32 should find it automatically by using %Path%, same for the other file. All that leaves is file corruption, really.

Have you checked the files against the versions in your source, RogueSpear?