PROBLEM ! Can The RyanVM Update Pack Be Used For A Repair-R

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Robin20152

PROBLEM ! Can The RyanVM Update Pack Be Used For A Repair-Reinstall ???

Post by Robin20152 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Hello, Everybody !

I'm new here and I have a MAJOR on-going (and recurring) problem accessing MS Updates after a recent Repair-Reinstall. I've done four or five Repair-Reinstalls since we've owned our computer (the last previous one was in March, 2007), but I have NEVER had a problem with any of them - Until now!

After 16 FULL days of trying to "solve" it, I read about the "RyanVM Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack" in the Gizmo Richards' Support Alert Newsletter. So, I'm hoping that "Update Pack" will be able to install the 100 or so missing updates.

What I have :

1.) Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop (Our first computer: July, 2003)
2.) WindowsXP (Home) / SP-1 CD (Came with our computer)
3.) WinXP SP-2 CD (FREE from Microsoft - Also downloaded onto HD)

What happened :

On March 4th I did a Repair-Reinstall (R-R) and everything went very smoothly. After Windows XP SP-1 was re-installed, I installed SP-2, then I went to Microsoft Updates to download & install all the "Post SP-2" updates. THAT's when I encountered "Error 0x8DDD0007".

"Error 0x8DDD0007" explanation is that I need to re-boot my computer as there are one or more programs that require a re-boot in order to complete the installation process.

OK... Fair enough... So, even though I knew that there weren't any "pending installations" (still aren't), I went ahead and re-booted. Then I got back on-line and went to MS Updates where I found "Error 0x8DDD0007" AGAIN !

Needless to say, after a few more "rounds" of repeating all that, I started looking around the MS site for answers. When I didn't find any (that worked), I thought that maybe I had goofed-up somewhere during the R-R procedure. So I did another R-R, installed SP-2, went to MS Updates, and..... "Error 0x8DDD0007" !!!

To cut a long story short (you're welcome), I've spent most of my time scouring Microsoft and the Internet ("Help me, Obi-Wan-Google! You're my only hope!") looking for "solutions" to the on-going and recurring "Error 0x8DDD0007" and the totally unnecessary "requirement" to re-boot !

I've performed four or five (or is it 6?) R-R's since this first popped up. I've done recommended registry "hacks" (yes, I backed-up first). I've registered, un-registered, and re-registered various and sundry combinations of DLL's. I tried all kinds of things in regular mode and in "safe" mode, with/without firewall enabled (scary!). Heck, I even tried to install WinXP SP-3/RC-2 (nope, didn't work).

I finally broke down and submitted a request for Customer Assistance with Microsoft back on the 12th. (Sigh...). So far the MS Tech has made four suggestions, ALL of which I've tried before.... and didn't work.

Where it stands now :

1.) I can NOT access MS Updates.
2.) I can NOT install updates (which I can't access...).
3.) I can NOT install most MS products. Such as Windows Installer 3.1 (v2), IE-7, WinXP/SP-2/RC-1, any .NET Framework above v.2.0, Etc.
4.) I do NOT have any problems downloading/installing non-MS Apps.
5.) The "Reboot Required" before proceeding with any attempted MS installation is constantly recurring. (BTW: Yes, I deleted the registry entry for "RebootRequired" many, many times! It just keeps coming back!)
6.) NONE of the dozens of supposed "fixes" has worked.

What I need to know :

1.) Can the "RyanVM Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack" be used for a Repair-Reinstall ?
2.) Can the "RyanVM Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack" be used for a Repair-Reinstall WITHOUT invoking the wrath of the "Reboot Required Demon" ?

Actually, I need to know a whole bunch more things, but since we have to start somewhere, let's start at the beginning with the "basics".

Thank You for your patience !

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

PS. Happy SPRING, Everybody !!!

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:16 pm

well, once you have the updatepack added to your xp-cd then yes.. you can do a repair install with no problems (that i know of anyway)
as for the problem with the reboot-required.. it _should_ fix it but my question for you is why the repair install? why not a wipe-and-reinstall?

TechnoHunter

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 pm

The Update Pack should work for a repair CD as long as you don't include a WINNT.SIF file. This means no unattended installation.

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi, TechnoHunter !

Thanks for the response!

To answer your question, we have only this one computer with one hard drive. Therefore we have no place to transfer all of our files to. Nor can we afford to buy a new one of either. So, we're "stuck".

Also, if I were able to do a complete (clean) install, I'm not sure it would work because I would be using the same installation disk that I've used for the Repair-Reinstalls. In my mind it's a case of, "same disks, same data, same problem". But then I've never done a complete re-install of any kind, so what do I know?

As I said in my initial post, I've done Repair-Reinstalls before without any major problems. And this particular problem is way, way, w-a-y out of the ordinary!

Do you, or does anybody know if there is a downloadable "Manual" that I could refer to and maybe print out? I downloaded the web-page for it, but it's kind of slow going.

Thank You !!!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:45 pm

You can go here: http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?manual and the 'manual' can be saved on your system; I don't think it's designed to be printed out though.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Ok then thats all the better reason for you to reformatt. Simply grab all of your super-important files and either:

A=burn them to a CD\DVD
B=upload them to a temp server
C=spend 15 bucks on a thumb drive (USB based pocket drive)

THEN while you are reformatting parttion your single drive into 2 partitions.

That way you have partition 1 for windows and programs

Annnnnd

Partition 2 for you important data (Pics, Docs and music ya know all that stuff)
That way when you pc gets fubared like it is now all you have to day is pop your disk in, reformatt the first parttion and reinstall. Poof all your important stuff is on the second drive.

As for the page you want a download-able version of wich one is that? If you mean the MSFN unnatended guide their is a pdf floating around.

But for now run a virus scan and then run one of the online virus scans that does scan with multiple scanners, grab a copy of ccleaner and use it to clean the junk files out, clean the reg and manage your startup programs (Get rid of most of the craop that starts up automatically)

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi, 5eraph !

I don't think I would even THINK of trying an un-attended installation!

One of the things I "think" I understand is that because our computer is a Dell, and the WindowsXP disk came with the computer, that I need to grab a copy of the Dell OEM drivers/BIOS.

I'm still learning (s-l-o-w-l-y) and it seems to be a bit of a "steep" learning curve for me.

I'm sure that most of the people on here who use the Update Packs" on a regular basis know what they're talking about (for the most part). The problem for me is that I am totally UN-familiar with ALL of this so I don't understand very much of it.

It's like I need a "Newbie's Guide to Update Packs (for Dummies)" !!!

Sorry for going on about it !

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

chapmani

Post by chapmani » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 am

Having just done several Repair Reinstalls last week, I can definitely say that an integrated update pack works just fine. I'd also integrated IE7 (via nLite) and WMP 11 (via boooggy). It did show a couple of odd/old KB's in Microsoft Update for both IE and WMP. But I suspect they might have been a caused by a clash between what had been installed before the repair, and the new updated disk.
5eraph wrote:The Update Pack should work for a repair CD as long as you don't include a WINNT.SIF file. This means no unattended installation.
Not quite correct. You can have all the answers in the WINNT.SIF file, except the "Full Unattended" one. In nLite I picked the "Prompt Repair" on the "General" tab of the "Unattended" section, and all worked well.

If I understand him correctly, Robin20152 is starting with either an original version of XP or an SP1 disk. I have some vague recollection of the error he's reporting coming from a conflict between an older Windows Installer version on his CD, and the current one from Microsoft Update. It might even be that old one with the .Net KB928366 that never installs.
Kelsenellenelvian wrote:Ok then thats all the better reason for you to reformatt.
. . .

THEN while you are reformatting parttion your single drive into 2 partitions.

That way you have partition 1 for windows and programs

Annnnnd

Partition 2 for you important data (Pics, Docs and music ya know all that stuff)
I think the best way to handle that is to put the entire "Documents and Stttings" tree on that second partition. In the [GuiUnattended] section of the WINNT.SIF add 'ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings" '

Robin20152 - I realize that money is tight, but you can get an OEM 160 gig hard drive for about $50-60. I'd bet that's larger than your existing one. Add a few more bucks and you'd even double or triple that size. It might be worth that money to protect your existing data, until you get the bugs worked out of making an updated install disk.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:35 am

chapmani wrote:
5eraph wrote:The Update Pack should work for a repair CD as long as you don't include a WINNT.SIF file. This means no unattended installation.
Not quite correct. You can have all the answers in the WINNT.SIF file, except the "Full Unattended" one.
Good to know. I stand corrected.

Welcome to the forum, chapmani. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 am

Yikes, the computer sounds like it needs a formatting. You have no way to back up important files? Not even a CD burner?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:55 am

Hello, Everybody !

Thank You, TechnoHunter !
Thank You, 5eraph !
Thank You, ChiefZeke !
Thank You, Kelsenellenelvian !

And a GREAT BIG Thank You to Chapmani !!!

Chapmani, you might have provided the "key" that just might "unlock" the mysterious recurring "Reboot Required" problem when you wrote :

If I understand him correctly, Robin20152 is starting with either an original version of XP or an SP1 disk. I have some vague recollection of the error he's reporting coming from a conflict between an older Windows Installer version on his CD, and the current one from Microsoft Update. It might even be that old one with the .Net KB928366 that never installs.

I remember having an on-going "problem" with one of the .NET Framework updates last Summer. I think it was an update or SP for v1.1. It kept "nagging" to be installed but, if I remember right, it WAS already installed. I thought I had applied the MS "fix" for it, but I might just have turned off Automatic Updates to get away from the constant nagging.

I also remember completely (I thought) un-installing all of the .NET "stuff" until MS was able to "sort out" the problem, then re-install it and get on with the rest of my life.

BTW : I re-installed .NET Frameworks 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 after the 2nd or 3rd Repair-Reinstalls (I don't remember exactly...).

My current problem centers around the fact that WindowsXP "thinks" that there is a progam that is calling for a "mandatory re-boot" in order for it to complete its installation. MAYBE that is being caused by some left-over vestiges of the old "failed" code/switch from last Summer's .NET update?

One way to find out : Go through the MS Guided Un-Install, Clean-Up, and Re-Install routine. (Sigh.....)

Thanks Again, Everybody !!!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:23 pm

The thing that I am possibly thinking is that there is some piece of spyware that keps resetting that key. It MAY be the aforementioned .NET Framework stuff, but I would say to go through Add/Remove Programs and remove _everything_ from there, manually delete the RebootRequired key from the registry again, and then reboot. If it comes back again, try the virus scanning, and make sure to get a good spyware scanner. I'd even suggest getting SpyBot and installing their addon programs (one is called TeaTimer, and the other I'm not sure, but they are both part of the main Spybot installer). One of those addon programs prompts you for ANY change made to the registry, so you can at least see what program it is that is causing this RebootRequired mess, and possibly block it from writing to the registry.

What I am curious to know is what problems were you experiencing to cause you to feel the need to reinstall this time?

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello, Again !

I un-installed all of the .NET Framework components that were on my computer. It took a lot more time than i thought it would. But when it was all said and done, they were all gone.

Then I went through trying some of the different "solutions" that I'd tried before.

Well, what a colossal waste of time THAT was!

I'm pretty much where I was before I started. And, Gosh! It only took me about 12 hours to get here!

I'm going to take a short break, then I'll be back.

It looks as though I'm going to have to learn a whole NEW "skill set" involving "Update Packs" and "Integrators".

Good Evening, Everybody !!!

Robin20152

Eugene, Oregon USA

chapmani

Post by chapmani » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:07 pm

When does this reboot occur? Is it sort of a loop that looks like it is starting windows, then decides it needs to reboot, and round and round she goes? Can you boot into safe mode by pressing [F8] while the machine is booting?

Is the Repair Reinstall you're doing the one described by Fred Langa's June 19, 2006 "InformationWeek" article "XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option"?

Another old buried memory surfaced after thinking on this a bit. I had one rebuild/reinstall where the cycle I described above happened. I turned off the Automatically Restart on System Failure (System Properties | Advanced Tab | Startup and Recovery | Settings Button | System Failure section | Automatically Restart checkbox]. That let me actually see that error was with the motherboard drivers for the IDE interface. In Safe Mode, I went into the Device Manager, deleted the IDE controller and rebooted. It re-discovered the device, and all was right in the world.

Another approach to the getting an older version of XP up to date with all the patches is German "c't" Magazine / Heise Security offline update script called "CTUpdate".

I first heard about it in the Steve Gibson/Leo Laport "Security Now" podcast - Episode 124
- Transcript - http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-124.htm (about 3/4 of the way down the page)
- Audio Podcast - http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-124.mp3

Michael Boman's blog has a good synopses of it here:
http://michaelboman.org/wiki/index.php?title=CTUpdate

The English Heise Security description is at:
http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/ ... ures/80682
The Download is on the Heise Secruity German site:
http://www.heise.de/ct/projekte/offline ... d_uk.shtml

Of course, like making a install disk, integrated with Ryan's packs, that requires a working machine to prepare the CTUpdate ISO. So that might nix it as a solution for Robin.

Perhaps Ryan's FAQ could add those links to the "Can I install this on a running Windows XP installation?" and plunk em in as a standard response to the same, frequent query in the forum.

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:33 pm

Thank You, Chapmani !

To answer your first question (Quote) :

When does this reboot occur? Is it sort of a loop that looks like it is starting windows, then decides it needs to reboot, and round and round she goes? Can you boot into safe mode by pressing [F8] while the machine is booting?

The re-boot, itself, does not occur by itself. WindowsXP "thinks" that there is a program that requires the computer to be re-booted in order to complete its installation process. There is NO program (freshly installed or otherwise) that actually needs the computer to re-boot. It's just that XP "THINKS" there is. It doesn't matter how many times I re-boot because each and every time it STILL "thinks" that I need to do it again!

This behavior is exhibited in three ways :

1.) If I have Automatic Updates set to automatically download updates, XP will deliver a pop-up warning balloon telling me that there is a program that requires me to re-boot my computer in order for it to complete its installation. If I click on the exit "X" or the "reboot later", the pop-up will go away BUT re-appear about ten minutes later. If I Click on the "Reboot now" option, it will re-boot the computer, and as soon as I sign on, the same pop-up will re-occur. The only way to stop it is to turn OFF Automatic Updates. Then, of course, it will nag me that I have AU turned off.

2.) When I try to install a Microsoft product, shortly after it starts the installation process it stops, and up pops an "error" type window telling me that it cannot proceed with the installation because there is another program that requires me to re-boot the computer first so it can complete its own installation.

3.) When I visit the MS Updates site I always get "Error 0x8DDD0007". Which tells me that I need to re-boot my computer first because there is a program that needs me to do it in order to complete its installation.

My idea of using the RyanVM Itegrator & Update Packs is to try to "bypass" the "Reboot Required" behavior BEFORE it starts!

To answer your second question (Quote) :

Is the Repair Reinstall you're doing the one described by Fred Langa's June 19, 2006 "InformationWeek" article "XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option"?

Yes, the exact same one all printed out. And the one by MS, and the one by Dell, too!

I read all three before I do a Repair-Install. Not because I like to read them, but they each describe the R-R process in a different way and from a different perspective. This helps me to "refresh" my memory and to better understand the whole thing.

I used your link to check out the CTUpdate ("DIY Service Pack"). I read about it and downloaded the instructions and then the GUI for it. I haven't printed the "manual" yet as it's TEN pages long (which is a little intimidating!). I checked out a few of the entries to see if there was anything there in the forums about using it to do a Repair-Reinstall, but as yet I haven't found anything.

I really appreciate the second link to the article in Michael Boman's Blog. It made it seem to be a little easier (simpler) to understand for me. It is written so that the "average" person would understand it. So it's a good "starting point" for me.

Chapmani, I really appreciate the time that you spent gathering up the informatin and the links and sharing them with me (and all the rest of us, of course) here. THANK YOU !!!

I still have a ton of "research" to do. I'm not quite sure which way I'm going to go with this. All I know is that I can't simply let it stay the way that it is.

Good Evening and Happy Easter, Everybody !!!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 pm

lol why keep a crooked system when u can start fresh??
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:00 am

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Bober101 !

Thanks for the response!

To answer your question, we have only this one computer with one hard drive. Therefore we have no place to transfer all of our files to. Nor can we afford to buy a new one of either. So, we're "stuck".

Also, if I were able to do a complete (clean) re-install, I'm not sure it would work because I would be using the same installation disk that I've used for the Repair-Reinstalls. In my mind it's a case of, "same disks, same data, same problem". But then I've never done a complete re-install of any kind, so what do I know?

As I said in my initial post, I've done Repair-Reinstalls before without any major problems. And this particular problem is way, way, w-a-y out of the ordinary!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 am

You still haven't answered RyanVM's question as to whether you have a CD or DVD burner or not. If you don't, can you buy a $10-$15 USB flash drive to backup your important files to?

Kelsenellenelvian was the first to suggest these and also added the third very good (and free) suggestion of temporarily uploading your important files (zipped into one file) to a free upload server where you can retrieve them later.

If you could answer these questions, it would really help us to help you.

I've rarely used repair installs and have done a LOT of fresh installs on my own and other people's computers. I can tell you that in my experience, nothing improves Windows performance and reliability more than a fresh installation. :D

If the installation CD isn't coming up with errors, and/or the SP2 you're installing isn't corrupt, then it has to be the lack of a proper fresh installation.

I strongly suggest pursuing a fresh installation to the best of your ability. Here's the steps I would take if I were you:

1. Find out how large a space you need to store your important files (each user's My Documents folder and subfolders). Most of my customer's don't actually have more than a CD's worth (700 MB).

2. If you have a CD or DVD writer, burn those files to disc(s).

3. Use the RVM Integrator available here to integrate SP2 with your original unaltered XP SP1 CD. Note the integration will actually take place by the Integrator copying the contents of your CD to your hard drive, and then integrating SP2 there.

4. Use the RVM Integrator to integrate RyanVM's Post-SP2 Update Pack to the copy of XP that you integrated SP2 with in step 3.

5. Use the Integrator to "Make ISO" out of the copy of XP from step 4.

6. Burn this ISO disc image to CD. Note this isn't the same as copying the ISO file to CD.

7. Install from this new CD making sure to choose to delete your old XP partition (not your new file backup partition). You can choose quick format NTFS if it gives you the choice.

If you want to find out for sure if this method (fresh installation versus repair-install) is going to work or if you just don't want to dive into this even though in the end it'll solve time, headaches and hassles, as step 3 just install XP from your XP SP1 disc and install SP2 separately as you've done after the repair-installs.

I have worked on at least one Dimension 8300, BTW. I used that customer's XP SP1 CD and integrated SP2 and Ryan's Post-SP2 Update Pack available at that time (a year and a half ago).

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:12 am

before taking the (excellent) advise here to re-install vs. repair
have you tried the "MSI cleanup" tool? (available from microsoft)

from your latest post it sounds like the MSI installer is "frozen" (for want of a better term) in mid-install

see if that helps you resolve the need-to-reboot junk.. if not then you are not any worse off than before you tested the tool :)

good luck!

TechnoHunter

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:39 am

don't use repair ,obviously there is a miss configuration somewhere with corrupted data or bad file ,entries ...
you can choose to delete windows ,where the setup will say "windows was found @...: now what ?" choose to delete it
next: ...install a fresh copy without the need to format or loose other files but the windows one ...

BTW: that isn't "repair" more like "upgrade" ..as "repair" uses "backup" ...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 am

How big is your PC's harddrive???

You can always use a partition manager and resize the system parttion THEN make a second partition with the free remaining space.

Then copy all you needed stuff to the new partition and reformat the system one during setup.

For gods sakes man I and a couple of others have given you EXCELLENT suggestions solving your problem.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:23 am

You can also use http://ubcd4win.com/ to boot into a windows environment where you can move all of your important data into a "Backup" folder on your drive. Then delete every possible file you can. Leaving only the "Backup" dir. Then boot to your windows install disk and when you get to the screen to format just choose to leave the current file system intact.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:50 am

Siginet wrote:You can also use http://ubcd4win.com/ to boot into a windows environment where you can move all of your important data into a "Backup" folder on your drive. Then delete every possible file you can. Leaving only the "Backup" dir. Then boot to your windows install disk and when you get to the screen to format just choose to leave the current file system intact.
Assuming you have a CD burner, of course. If not, I'll even consider _mailing_ you a spare USB stick.

chapmani

Post by chapmani » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Just a point to the "you MUST do a clean install" crowd.

I agree that it is the best way to refresh a system, clean out the digital dustbunnies, etc. I've done it many a time.

The one impediment to this, for a lot of people, is all the OTHER software besides the OS that is installed. Finding all those install disks, license keys, not to mention the updates to that stuff, and the latest versions of all the downloaded software can be time consuming. And lets not forget the potential lost preferences, bookmarks, buddy lists etc too. It can take a huge number of hours to get your system back to the way you like it.

And in a One Computer household, the tolerance for that downtime, and lost data might not be very high.

Frankly for some less experienced users, the time, effort and skill level needed for a "down to bare drive" fresh install is beyond them. For them, the Refresh / Reinstall often a "good enough" result. They only take to Nuclear option as a last result.

I've spent a huge amount of time developing an install DVD that includes about 50 or so programs and utilities. I'm still not completely happy with it, but I'm close.

But of course this website is really targeted at skilled users for whom a fresh install is second nature. Just don't be too quick to trash those who find it too daunting.

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:36 pm

I havent seen anyone trashing anyone here, personally. Aside from the few comments about how inexpensive certain parts are nowadays, IMO, everyone here has actually been very patient and tried to be as helpful as possible.

To respond to the "same disks, same data, same problem" problem, the only time this _would_ apply is when you are doing a repair install, as the data on your drive is kept in tact. If you do a complete reinstall, the data on your hard disk is erased, and therefore whatever junk data is there that is causing this problem would be gone. If you have used this same disk for repair installs before, and had no problems, then the problem is that something on your hard disk changed between the last successful repair and this time that is causing it to not work, possibly because that junk data is something the repair doesn't touch. Hopefully this makes sense.

I'm not sure how tight your budget is, to be honest, and so that is why I haven't made any recommendations on getting new parts, however if you _could_ squeeze it in, that would be ideal. Assuming that it just can't or won't happen, however, we really should stay on track and try to help him work around and/or fix this issue.

Out of curiousity, have you tried to contact microsoft support about this? They have free support for issues like this, especially if you can provide a knowledge base article referencing any of the problems you are experiencing, which I believe I saw at least one mentioned earlier in this thread.

If not, I'd say to try that, but keep posting here with the instructions they give you, etc, as we'd love to continue to help.

I have a few other suggestions, but they aren't for the faint of heart. If you are feeling adventurous, let me know, and I'll list em.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 am

Robin20152 wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Bober101 !

Thanks for the response!

Also, if I were able to do a complete (clean) re-install, I'm not sure it would work because I would be using the same installation disk that I've used for the Repair-Reinstalls. In my mind it's a case of, "same disks, same data, same problem". But then I've never done a complete re-install of any kind, so what do I know?

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon
clean asmuch space you can from the hdd then use partition magic to create a partition ,copy ure temps and format!

is ure windows disc a OEM repair disc only? if so ok ure f*cked .
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:24 am

The problem with using Partition Magic is that it is hard to find on the retail market (excluding online), and if you are on a budget, you can't very well afford to go out and buy it anyways.

chapmani

Post by chapmani » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:34 am

Maybe "trash" was too strong a word. There was some "I need you away from the computer NOW," stuff going on here while I was trying to write that. It could probably have used another edit.

It seems like a good bet Robin's Dell 8300 probably has a CD writer in it. Most machines (and most Dell machines) of that era came standard with at least a CD drive. I think there were upgrades available for adding a DVD reader, but DVD writers were new and expensive back then.

DVD writers can be had now for $25-$30. As I said earlier, hard drives about $50. But I've been on that edge where even scrapping together bus fair is a challenge. And who knows what the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) is for a hardware addition. Hell, I'd bet several of us have old, unused, 30 to 40 gig hards drives sitting on a shelf that could be donated to the data preservations cause.

Bobber suggested Partition Magic. A free alternative that I've had good success with is Gparted. And since money seems to be a issue here . . . http://gparted.sourceforge.net

So hopefully our pool of talent and knowledge can get him past this current roadblock.

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:18 pm

chapmani wrote:There was some "I need you away from the computer NOW," stuff going on here while I was trying to write that.
I know how that goes lol
chapmani wrote:Hell, I'd bet several of us have old, unused, 30 to 40 gig hards drives sitting on a shelf that could be donated to the data preservations cause.
I agree, I probably could find one myself
chapmani wrote:Bobber suggested Partition Magic. A free alternative that I've had good success with is Gparted. And since money seems to be a issue here . . . http://gparted.sourceforge.net
I haven't even heard of that one, but I think I'm gonna check it out now myself lol.

twig123

Post by twig123 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Robin20152 wrote:"same disks, same data, same problem"
I understand that the Repair Install that you are doing with with a SP1 CD, over a SP2+ install...

I've never done a repair with an older version of windows, but I can possibly see were it would cause problems as a Repair doesn't remove registry entries for installed software. I am wondering if a repair install from SP2 > SP1 causes some registry problems causing the WU issue you are seeing.

My opinion, is to follow some advise that was given before and to slipstream your install CD with SP2 and the update pack, then try another repair. Maybe even a registry cleaner if the issue persists (I've used Registry Mechanic before with almost no issue, however that was a couple years ago that I've last used it).

I know issues like this can get annoying rather quickly, I myself have quirky issues like Windows doesn't release reg keys so that if I lock the system it "doesn't accept" the password and the systen has to be reset to log back in... I've delayed a full reinstall as my system contains my source media for all of my custom installs and misc other coding projects I work in..... so I wish you much luck and success with your issue :wink:

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Hello, Everybody !

Thanx for The Input !!!

Right now I'm leaning towards using the RyanVM Integrator to "slipstream" my Dell Win?XP/SP1 + WinXP/SP2 + Update Pack into an "ISO Image", and use that to do a Repair-Reinstall. I still have a LOT of reading and considering to do.

There are a TON of additional new entries to respond to. Since I don't know WHERE to start, I'll just start at the beginning.....

TO : roirraW "edor",

You're right, I didn't answer RyanVM's question. I didn't see it the first time, so I scrolled way back up there and slid the bottom scroll-bar to the right and read it.

(My apologies to RyanVM!)

I have two media drives: a DVD/CD "Reader" (D:\) and a simple CD Reader/Burner (E:\).

My Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop has a 120 GB Hard Drive, of which about 111 GB is "usable". Of that 111 GB, approximately 78 GB is used and 35 GB is listed as "Free Space.

Programs = 13.7 GB
Docs/Sets = 53.2 GB (Me 47.5, Wife 1.0 GB, All else 4.7 GB)
Windows = 6.0 GB
OtherStuff = 6.0 GB

All in all, I'd guess that I would need to "save" approximately 70 GB of data. A CD holds about 700 MB. Assuming a "perfect" distribution of the data to be saved, AND a perfect burning "record" ZERO "coasters"), I'd need to use 100 CD's to "save" everything. I don't know if I can estimate the time needed to "safely & accurately" do all that..... BUT taking into account all of the searching for, matching-up, "set-up", preparing, burning, and "quality control" times needed, I think that would average about three hours per CD. So, maybe if I got REAL good at it, it might take somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 to 300 hours to complete the task. If I stick to it @ 10 hours a day, I could complete the job in only one month. Maybe less!

Okay, okay.... I'm being a little facetious there. I'd probably do it in less than 3 weeks!

So, anyway, as I said, I'll probably go with the "slipstream" method of a R-R. I'll just have to make sure I know what the difference is between an "ISO Image" and an "ISO File", and burn the "correct" one to a CD!

TO : TechnoHunter,

Yes, I did try the Microsoft Installer Clean Up Utility (2). The operative word there is, "TRY". I was able to download the "v2" of the tool, but I was unable to successfully run it as such. It seems as though there was a "conflict" of some sort with the "v1" utility. "DLL Not found" and all that. I was finally able to figure out which DLL it was looking for, and made a copy of it and put it in v2's folder. I "ran" it, and although it showed that it got rid of all of the .NET items, the Add/Remove utility showed that they were all still there. So I used the "Almighty" REVO Un-Install program to gewt rid of the .NET stuff.

Not that it actually did me any good, mind you. But at least .NET is OFF my machine!

TO : ENU_user,

Hello!

To be honest with you, I didn't really understand very much of your entry. However, I believe the "cause" of the problem is a "conflict" between the Windows Updater v.3.0 and "3.1 (v2)". The apparent cause of the conflict between the two versions occurred back in July/August when MS pushed a set of "Stealth" updates onto users computers (without their knowledge or consent) through the MS Automatic Updates Service. You can read about it HERE :

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070913/

TO : Kelsenellenelvian,

I've never dealt with a partitioned disk, or partitioned one. I'll have to read up on it and see if it might be "do-able" on my machine. I do have about 35 GB of "Free Space" on my harddrive. But, I don't know if I'd be able to make a partition and format it on a HD that's already in use.

Having said all that, I really think that doing some kind of "slipstream" Repair-Reinstall might be the best way to go right now. If it works then great! If it doesn't, then it's time to take a look at some of the more "drastic" measures. It's kind of like starting with the least invasive measured, and when one of those don't work, keep moving up the scale until you find one that works, you know?

TO : Siginet,

Hello! I "read up" on the "Ultimate BootCDforWindows" two or three years ago when a friend told me about it. Since I didn't think I had a need for it back then, I kind of forgot about it. If I remember correctly, it's a "Free-ware" assembly of tools in a "bootable" CD format for repairing Windows? It would help me be able to do some of the things that roirraW "edor", TechnoHunter, ENU_user, and Kelsenellenelvian were talking about a little earlier in this thread (above).

If it's "OK" with you and the others, I think I'll first try the "Slipstreaming" method of doing a "Repair-Reinstall". If that works, then all's well a good. If it doesn't, then I'll have to try the next step "up".

TO : Speeddymon,

Hello! If you've read this far into my reply, then (hopefully) you'll understand why I am "shocked" (Shocked, I say!) that they make 75 GB USB sticks!

TO : Chapmani,

HOWDY !

I'll just respond to the last sentence in your entry (Quote) :

"But of course this website is really targeted at skilled users for whom a fresh install is second nature. Just don't be too quick to trash those who find it too daunting."

Although I think you hit the nail on the head, try not to be too tough on them. They are, after all, trying to help me. Just like you are (Thank You!). If there is one thing I've learned in my rather mundane middle-aged life, it's this: if you really want to find out how much of an "expert" you are on a given subject, just TRY to teach it to someone else who knows nothing about it, doesn't know its history, its nomenclature, and doesn't know its language !!!

And all things considered, people have been pretty helpful friendly here.

I acknowledge my "Newbie-ness" when it comes to the more technical aspects of computers in general, and the RyanVM Integrator and Update Packs in particular. In one of my first entries in this thread I tried (apparently unsuccessfully) to communicate that to the folks here when I wrote :

TO : Speeddymon,

In regards to your question about MS Support (Quote) :

"Out of curiousity, have you tried to contact microsoft support about this? They have free support for issues like this, especially if you can provide a knowledge base article referencing any of the problems you are experiencing, which I believe I saw at least one mentioned earlier in this thread. "

Yes, I've contacted MS Support. I went to their webpage and made a report and request for assistance. It took me four or five tries to send it over a couple of days. But it finally went through when I "wised up" and didn't allow them to scan and upload any data. It's not that I'm paranoid about it. It's just that almost all of the files they wanted to upload were HUGE and their upload system choked on them and "froze up".

I won't go into the particulars, but suffice it to say that their assistance has thus far been somewhat inadequate.

TO : Bober101,

That might work, but if you don't mind, I'm trying to be patient with this process and where we're at with it. If things don't work out THIS way, then I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. (If you know what I mean...)

TO : Chapmani,

One of my "bookmarked" sites is the "List of Lists" HERE :
http://lists.thedatalist.com/index.html

Another one is Gizmo Richards "46 Best Freeware Utilities" at his website HERE :
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... lities.htm

I also subscribe to Gizmo's newsletter (Free version) and the March 20th issue which brought me to this website & Forum in the first place HERE (Item 3.5) :
http://www.techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm

TO Twig123,

Hello!

Thanx for your input. Yes, I'll probably be going with the "slipstream method" using the RyanVM Integrator and Update Pack. (i.e. Dell's OEM WinXP/SP1 + MS's WinXP/SP2 + Update Pack.)

I read somewhere that with a manufacturer's OEM disk, you need to locate its latest BIOS version which, I think, can be found in one of the "Add-Ons" areas. I'm still working on all that though!

TO EVERYBODY :

Thank You for your time, your consideration, and your input !!!

Do any of you remember that childhood game, "Simon Says"? You know, the game where someone plays the part of "Simon" and every one else in the group has to do what "Simon Says", BUT only if that action command is proceeded by the phrase, "Simon Says".

If you do, and you have the patience, the knowledge, expertise, and communication skills needed, could you please create a step-by-step "Simon Says" version of the User's Guide to the RyanVM Integrator and Update Packs ???

I'm only asking because I'm the guy who wrote :

Take care, everybody !

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 pm

In a way I hate to add more information into the fold, and my next paragraph might not help with your particular situation since you're short on $, but someone else may read this thread with a similar issue and this may help them.

I know Acronis Disk Director (a partitioning program) can "split" and "merge" partitions. In your case the split option would be handy. I've used it once in that way (I use it all the time in more "normal" ways) and it was just what I needed. It's perfect for a situation like yours where you have ~70GB of data you want to separate from the Windows partition, but you only have ~35GB of free space. When you use the split option, you tell Disk Director what folders/files you want moved to the new partition that it will create, and it will do all the work.

BTW, when you say 70GB, you must be meaning Programs + Docs/Settings, right? Just so you understand, with a fresh Windows installation, you would have to reinstall all the programs other than what comes with Windows. Saving the Programs folder doesn't help do that. You would have to reinstall them from their source that you either downloaded or had on CD/DVD when you bought a program.

Also, of the files in your Documents and Settings folder, there may be plenty you do not want. Like anything in any of the user's Temporary Internet Files folders and Temp folders. That might save quite a bit of space and there's no use to save those contents, although probably still not enough to make backing up to CD viable. The only folders you would need (including all files and folders underneath them) are your Documents folder, Favorites, and possibly Desktop if you have some files or folders (not just shortcuts) there.

Concerning ISO: An ISO (as far as disc images are concerned) is a copy of a CD or DVD, but in file form. The proper way to burn an ISO is to select the correct option in whatever burning program you have. Some people who have been new at this in the past have mistakenly "copied" the ISO file to a CD or DVD and that's not going to do you any good. When you copy the ISO file to a disc and then look at the disc contents, you just have one file on the disc, which is the original ISO file.

The proper way is to select the respective option in your burning program to "burn a disc image". Then you would select the disc image file (the ISO), and it will recreate the contents of the ISO file onto the disc. Think of an ISO as a Zip file. It's a container that usually contains many files and folders within it. It's more complicated than that because an ISO can hold boot information as well, so that you can boot from a CD or DVD, but it's a good analogy.

Concerning partitions: Every hard drive that's in use is already partitioned. It just so happens that many of them with only one partition, the one you (or at least we) would call a Windows partition. Some pre-built computers actually come with three partitions. This is actually common with some Dells. The other two partitions have to do with diagnostics and restoring the Windows to exactly the same way it was when the computer was delivered to you (which also erases all personal Documents and any programs that were installed afterward). From memory, the 8300 is probably not set up like that which is why they gave you an actual XP installation disc. It's actually a better choice to have a separate installation disc versus a restore partition.

So you've been dealing with a partitioned disc all this time, you just didn't know it. :wink:

Concerning BIOS: There are different methods of activation OEMs use for XP. I'm trying to remember what the method was on the 8300 I worked on. I may be able to find out tomorrow when I have more time. Just so you understand, you're not actually talking about getting the latest BIOS version, that's something completely different.

Good luck to you and I hope the slipstreamed Post-SP2 installation disc does the trick, although I will be honest and I don't hold out much hope that a repair will do the trick no matter what any more, but it's just a guess. It definitely does make sense to try the least invasive method first, and I will be very happy for you if this way works satisfactorily.

Let us know how it goes or if you have more questions. I'll try to get back to you about the OEM activation method used on the 8300.

twig123

Post by twig123 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm

@ Robin20152
There should be no need to change the OEMBIOS files for the install if you are already using the XP OEM disl provided by DELL as the needed files should already be included on that disk. However, if your XP disk is NOT stamped with the Dell logo and IS a standard XP OEM disk (has a holographic top) then you Would need to peruse correcting OEMBIOS files on the CD that you make to ensure that your pre-activation is kept.

ilu4life

Post by ilu4life » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I dont think I might have anything to add but I do hope your problem gets solved sooner than later.

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Hello, Everybody !

I would like to proceed with a "Repair-Reinstall" of Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 8300 using the RyanVM Integrator v.1.5.1 to "Slipstream" the Dell OEM Windows XP Service Pack 1, the MS Windows XP Service Pack 2, and the RVMUpdatePack2.2.1.7z.

What I have on hand :

1.) Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop Computer (w/CD Burner/Reader)
2.) Dell OEM Windows XP / SP1 Re-Install Disk (526 MB).
3.) Dell OEM WinXP/SP1 Disk CONTENTS in Desktop folder (518 MB).
4.) MS Windows XP Service Pack 2 Disk (472 MB).
5.) MS WinXP/SP2 Self-Extracting Cabinet in Desktop folder (266 MB).
6.) RyanVM Integrator v.1.5.1
7.) Official "Post SP2 Update Pack v.2.2.1" (RVMUpdatePack2.2.1.7z).
8.) English Language File for the Update Pack.
9.) BLANK CD-R's.
10.) Roxio CD Creator 5 (Came with the computer...).
11.) BurnAware (Home Edition) v1.2.9 (As yet UN-used...).

On my desktop I have gathered almost everything applicable in the above list into a folder titled "RyanVM Itegrator".

I have "opened" the Integrator and clicked on the "file" button (which was not mentioned in the "manual"). Then I clicked on "Slipstream ServicePack". I clicked on the "Yes" option and the Integrator started "extracting files" (Mostly i386, I think) to an unknown location. The one and only log file shows nothing about it other than "17:12:13 - Windows XP Home Edition - OEM SP1 Found".

Since I am in "unknown territory", I'm stopping right now. I am not sure if I need to figure out a way to first "Slipstream" WinXP/SP1 and SP2 into some kind of ISO and THEN use the Integrator to "Slipstream" the Update Pack onto THAT file. OR.... If the Integrator can handle both "Slipstreaming" processes in one overall "integration" operation.

In other words..... H-E-L-P !!!

Thank You !

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

PS. I would appreciate some kind of a step-by-step "walk-through" guide. I am just using the three major components in creating the "Repair-Reinstall" disk (NO "Add-Ons"). Thanx !

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Service packs are cumulative. In other words, SP2 contains SP1. SP3 which will come out sometime this year will contain SP2 and SP1.

Since you already have the Win XP SP1 reinstall disc, all you have to do as far as slipstreaming service packs is:

1. Browse to the location which contains the I386 directory.

Which would be your drive that has the XP SP1 reinstall disc in it, possibly the D: drive. I always start with the CD to begin with even though I may already have it on the hard drive, just in case something could've been corrupted on the hard drive in the meantime.

2. Choose the File menu, then SlipStream ServicePack, then I would choose "Yes" and then just point it to the "5.) MS WinXP/SP2 Self-Extracting Cabinet in Desktop folder (266 MB)".

The reason I would choose Yes is that once this slipstreaming of SP2 is done, you should use the RVM integrator to burn a bootable CD as a new "permanant" base which I will call XP SP2 Install Disc hereafter. i.e. after you burn the XP SP2 Install Disc you will never have to slipstream SP2 again, you can go straight to integrating Ryan's Post-SP2 Update Pack. BTW, you should need any language file for the update pack, it's already in English. Maybe you mean the English.lng file that comes with the RVM Integrator. Don't do anything with it, just leave it there.

3. In the "Browse to the destination directory" field type a location you'll remember like "C:\XP" (always without the quotes).

4. Click "Integrate" in the bottom right corner.

5. Before you actually burn the XP SP2 Install Disc, you have to choose the "Make ISO" tab in RVM Integrator. This time in the "Browse to the location which contains the I386 directory" field, type "C:\XP".

6. In the field "ISO location and file name" type "C:\XPSP2.iso".

7. In the "Volume Label" field, type "XPSP2".

8. Click "Make".

Now after it gets done you'll have to burn "C:\XPSP2.iso" to a CD. I don't remember what Roxio calls things and I haven't used BurnAware so I can't give you step by step instructions. Just look for an option to burn a disc image from a file.

Once you burn the XP SP2 Install Disc, put the XP SP1 Re-Install Disc away and keep it away. You may still need it one day, but for now the XP SP2 Install Disc will take it's place.

9. Start back over in the main tab of RVM Integrator and for the first field "Browse to the location..." type "C:\XP"

10. In the second field, type "C:\XPpostSP2"

11. In the third field, point it to (click ...) Official "Post SP2 Update Pack v.2.2.1" (RVMUpdatePack2.2.1.7z).

FYI this won't integrate Windows Media Player 11 or Internet Explorer 7. If you really wish to do those also, respond and someone will explain how (before you go any further).

12. Click "Integrate".

13. Go the "Make ISO" tab.

14. In the first field, type "C:\XPpostSP2".

15. In the second field, type "C:\XPpostSP2.iso".

16. For the Volume Label type "XPpostSP2".

17. Click "Make".

Once again, burn "C:\XPpostSP2.iso" disc image to a CD. This is the CD you will use to attempt your repair from, or if you have to later, a complete fresh install.

Once you are done integrating and burning/testing your discs, please delete the "C:\XP" and "C:\XPpostSP2" folders and the same named ISO files.

I hope you have this memorized because there's a test on this tomorrow. :wink:

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi, roirraW "edor" !

A TEST ?!?!?!?

Nobody said anything about a TEST !!!

BTW : I just got back on-line after making a FABULOUS coaster!

I thought I'd get a little "practice" and try going through all the steps to make just an SP2 + Updates Pack Slipstreamed disk. Alas, it wouldn't let me do that, so I tried to make the whole thing at once. Before I started I'd decided that win, lose, or draw, I was NOT going to use that first disk. And I won't!

Thank You VERY much for taking the time, making the effort, and going through the whole thing to make a "Beginners' Guide" for me. I really do appreciate it!

I went ahead and copied it to a text file, which I'll print out later. My wife got home a little while ago and she's a wee bit miffed that I'm spending more time with the computer than with her. So I probably won't jump into putting everything together "By-The-Numbers" until sometime tomorrow.

Besides, that will give me a little time to read the "BurnAware" user guide to see how it works and how they refer to : "burn a disc image from a file".

Again, THANK YOU for creating the "Step-By-Step" guide !!!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:57 pm

You're welcome. Thank you for appreciating it. :)

Mmmmm...coasters. Good with milk in the morning.

Yes, as you found out, it's not possible, and there's really no reason to slipstream updates into the SP2 installer. You can only slipstream anything into a Windows installation disc, whether it's a Service Pack, or things not made by Microsoft like update packs and addons.

A dozen or so years ago my wife used to get mad at me for being on the computer so much (Amiga 500/Amiga 2000 at the time). All she had was an IBM PS/1 (not Playstation). Now she's on the computer even more than I am, and I occasionally remind her of her reaction to my time spent on the computer. :) I make no difference of course when I point that out. She's a woman after all, therefore it's different. <-sarcasm

Take your time, you'll get it right in the end and ultimately solve your problem.

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Just to add my 5c to the discussion...
In case of broken MS Update/Windows Update this little tool might help:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
+
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 am

Interesting, worth a try.

twig123

Post by twig123 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Haven't had to use Dial-A-Fix in ages... but it has done me well in the past.

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Hello.....

TO : roirraW "edor"

Well, apparently I've failed today's test.

#1 "Browse to the location which contains the I386 directory."

Followed your suggestion to use the original Dell OEM disk as the source for the I386 directory. I popped the disk into my "D" drive and the location was shown as : "D:\"

#2 "Choose the File menu, then SlipStream ServicePack, then I would choose "Yes" and then just point it to the "5.) MS WinXP/SP2 Self-Extracting Cabinet in Desktop folder (266 MB)".

OK, I did that : "File" > "Slipstream Service Pack" > "YES" (As an answer to, "Would you like to slipstream a Service Pack Now?"). Then the Integrator started extracting the files to an "unknown" location on my harddrive. More accurately, the Integrator showed that it was extracting files to : "C:\becad489f0aaa2683fbe39b4ffee38" (w/o quotes).

I looked all over the "Local Disk C:", but I could NOT locate the file and or folder with that peculiar name. I even checked to make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option was checked (it was) in the "Folders Options".

Well, OK, I guess..... As long as the Integrator know where the file is, I'll try not to worry about it too much.

#3 "In the "Browse to the destination directory" field type a location you'll remember like "C:\XP" (always without the quotes)."

OK, that's simple enough. I created the folder, "C:\Documents and Settings\Robin\Desktop\RyanVM Itegrator\WinXP-SP1+SP2", and entered that as the destination directory.

And here (Drumroll, please!) is where I failed :

#4 "Click "Integrate" in the bottom right corner."

When I clicked "Itegrate" in the lower right-hand corner, UP popped an "Error" notification box that read :

"Integration cannot continue without a valid Update Pack or Addon Pack selected."

I tried it again a couple of times (of course...) trying different sequences and "stuff", but always with the same resuls.

So, to my un-trained eye and under-educated mind, I guess the Integrator will NOT let me do a simple Slipstream of Service Pack 2 to my OEM WinXP/SP1 unless I select a valid Update or Addon Pack too.

And so it is that I failed. Only three out of 17 steps completed works out to 17.6%. Which would be an "F" no matter what the "grading curve" is.

Or worse, maybe my faiure was earlier in the process in steps #1, #2, or #3 !!!

Any ideas ???

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

PS. I did use the "Dial-A-Fix" application two or three times. Although it did its "stuff" it didn't "fix" my problem.

The "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" would NOT install (conflict with v.3.0 producing the "reboot required" loop mentioned much earlier in this thread.).

The "windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe" DID install but running it did not "fimy computer either.

I don't think I've tried "WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe" yet. I'll set a Restore Point, download it and see what happens. I'll probably have to re-boot, but then that's nothing new.... lately!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello, again,

I just tried to run "WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe" and ran up against the same old "reboot required" problem.

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Robin20152 wrote:Only three out of 17 steps completed works out to 17.6%. Which would be an "F" no matter what the "grading curve" is.
Not necessarily... The curve could be heavily weighted to favor the first few steps. ;)

Anyway, I've been trying to follow your progress, Robin20152, and I have to give you credit for being very detailed with your responses. However, I can only think of a couple suggestions and one of them is something of a last resort.
  1. I suppose it may still be possible, however unlikely, that spaces and DOS file operands such as the + sign may cause problems in your file paths. My suggestion is to move and perform all operations as close to the root of the drive as possible with simpler paths, such as C:\XPsource\SP1 or something similarly simpler.
  2. You may have to bite the bullet and contact your vendor for updated source media. Perhaps mention to them that you've lost your CD and ask for the latest they have available, perhaps an SP2 (or dare I say, SP3) replacement.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:57 pm

I feel bad. I believe I made a slight error in my detailed instructions. I apologize. As 5eraph said, thank you for your detailed responses.

I am going through the steps myself 100% this time so I can correct my previous steps. I'll reply again with the answer shortly.

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi, 5eraph !

Thanx for your input. I'm not exactly sure where I went "wrong" and so early in the process, too!

in regards to your first suggestion :

"I suppose it may still be possible, however unlikely, that spaces and DOS file operands such as the + sign may cause problems in your file paths. My suggestion is to move and perform all operations as close to the root of the drive as possible with simpler paths, such as C:\XPsource\SP1 or something similarly simpler."

I am assuming that for most intents and purposes "directory" = "folder". I am therefore assuming that a "space" or a "+" sign in the folder/directory "name" might throw off the Integrato?

If that's so, and I'm assuming that it is, then you are suggesting that I make the folder and file names a "long-string" name WITHOUT using any spaces, or "signs" in them?

AND..... "to move and perform all operations as close to the root of the drive as possible with simpler paths" would mean, to place the "source", "holding", and "destination" folders in the C: drive folder (as opposed to being on my desktop?

Thank you for your assistance !

Robin

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi, roirraW "edor" !

Don't feel bad! You put a LOT into the step-by-step directions. Have you ever thought that I might have goofed? Well, I sure did!

5eraph might have a point (if I understood him correctly) about putting "spaces" and "+" signs into the file paths, thus throwing off the whole Integrator process. I just put everything into the "RyanVM Integrator" on my desktop so it would be all in one place and easy to find.

Anyway, I'll keep checking back!

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Correct on all counts, Robin. :)

Robin20152

Post by Robin20152 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, I may be dumb, but at least I'm slow, too !!! :lol:

So, you're recommending that I start "back at the beginning" by placing the assorted files, etc. directly on C:, then re-try to integrate the OEM WinXP SP1 and WinXP 2 ??

Robin20152
Eugene, Oregon USA

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes and no. 5eraph advised exactly what I do as well, I keep my folder names short and simple and very close to the root of the partition.

But I definitely made a mistake. Guaranteed, I already knew what I did wrong when I responded; I was just trying to find the correct sequence to describe to you. I'm also not sure where this version of the RVM Integrator puts the slipstreamed copy of Windows when you specify a CD as the source of the I386 folder and slipstream SP2. That is, when not performing an all-in-one slipstream and integration.

We don't really have to be concerned with that, though, because I believe I have a work around. Still working on the process though.