[Solved] Definite integration issue.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
crashfly

[Solved] Definite integration issue.

Post by crashfly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I am having what I consider a very odd integration issue.

I use MS Virtual PC 2007 (free version) as my testing box.

I integrate the following items:
  • rvmupdatepack2.2.1.7z
    ryanvm wmp10 addon 3.1a.7z
    5er_mssignedthemes_v2.2_addon.7z
    b101_mcblm_si_addon.rar
    directx_9.0c_november_2007_addon_0.3.2_-_cnc.7z
    cyberaddonwga_1.759.1.7z
    kels_runtimes_addon_v4.1.cab
    nr_ie7en_addon_1.1.0.7z
    windowsmedia10-kb936782-x86-enu.exe
    windowsxp-kb929969-x86-enu.exe
    windowsxp-kb941693-x86-enu.exe
    windowsxp-kb945553-x86-enu.exe
    windowsxp-kb948590-x86-enu.exe
    windowsxp-kb948881-x86-enu.exe
    x86-en-windowsxp-kb943460-x86-enu.exe
    x86-en-xpsepsc-x86-en-us.exe
    xable_oue-oga-v1.7_addon.cab
as well as quite a few other addons which I hope do not have a bearing on this problem.

Also a few misc drivers are included.

I integrate these onto a corp XP SP2 CD which is "clean" everytime I start the integration.

Now to the problem.
When using MS Virtual PC, I get a standard install with little to no issues. Only recently, I was "rebuilding" my wife's PC for which I am using "actual" computer instead of a virtual one. Somewhere about T-15, the computer goes "wonky" and decides to skip everything else and goes to about T-1 with a reboot not too far behind. Because of that, it comes up to a login screen asking for the admininstrator credentials. When logged in, it appears none of my custom programs were loaded at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

Summary:
Custom CD + Virtual Computer = No Problems
Custom CD + Actual Computer = Major Issue
Last edited by crashfly on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 pm

I have a similar issue...

Integrate the following in Windows XP SP2 VLK

RVMi 1.5.3:

rvmupdatepack2.2.1.7z
5er_MSSignedThemes_v2.2_Addon.7z
DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.1.7z
Kels_Runtimes_addon_v4.1.cab
PatchAddon_HIVESYS_v13c.cab
PatchAddon_UXTHEME_v13h.7z
PatchAddon_SYSSETUP_InfSkip_v13h.7z
PatchAddon_SFC_OS_v13h.7z
IMGBURNV2.4.1.0ADDON.cab
5er_KB893056_Addon.7z
OnePiece_IE7AddOn_2.1.0_ENU.7z
DirectX_9.0c_End-User_Runtime_AddOn_0.3.3_-_redxii.7z

WMP11 Slipstreamer (Boooggy's Method)

Nlite 1.4.5.b2 (No Removals - ONLY Tweaks)

BTS Driver Packs (DPs_BASE_80417RC, KTD All drivers, Method 2)

Compile ISO Using CDIMAGEGUI

I got error on Last T-13 minutes remaining -- something to do with Media Player (Error Popsup fast)

When logged in (First Time), it appears none of my custom programs were loaded at all. But I check in Program Files, they are all there. :?:

Any Ideas :idea: Is there any conflict in my Addons or perhaps Nlite or BTS :?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Well ... I may have a lead on what the problem could be. It seems we are both using the IMGBURNV2.4.1.0ADDON there Cipherfx2. That is one of the only addons that I have not tested completely. It does not seem to be adding the shortcuts correctly (*that* could be related to my not integrating it, but doing an install from the inf).

I am going to try to remove that addon for now and see if that fixes the problem.

If that does not work, I may try removing some other common addons that you and I have Cipherfx2.
--Anonymous

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Great, I will wait for your reply :) since I'm a bit busy right now... thanks in Advance mate :D

BTW: Do you also use BTS Driverpack Integration?

Also read somewhere in this forum (not sure) that this two AddOns have conflict in their Dir ID something:

OnePiece_IE7AddOn_2.1.0_ENU.7z

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Since I use these two:
  • directx_9.0c_november_2007_addon_0.3.2_-_cnc.7z
    nr_ie7en_addon_1.1.0.7z
I would not be able to verify that. I am also unsure of the "Dir ID" issue. I was under the impression that each addons directory ids were listed seperately.

Still working on rebuilding my install CD. It will be finished shortly and I can burn it and test on my wife's computer.
--Anonymous

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:43 pm

RVM Integrator v1.5.3 fixes any dir id issues. ;) So that would not be the problem. Sorry I don't know what your issue is. Just use less addons and retest. Good luck. Please keep the board informed.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks Siginet for that info, I didn't know sorry for that :oops:

We'll keep informed :wink:

Doing some subtraction of Addons, a bit slow cause I got a slow PC not to mention a slow 4X DVD Burner. :(

Doing all test in vmware.

redxii

Post by redxii » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Cipherfx2 wrote: OnePiece_IE7AddOn_2.1.0_ENU.7z
It was the OnePiece IE7 addon and my XP SP3 update pack that conflicted. The DX addon doesn't require defining any Dir IDs.

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:05 am

@redxii

Thanks for clarifying it :)

By the way (BTW), can I use your SP3 update with rvmupdatepack2.2.1.7z, or do I slipstream after ryan's update pack :?:

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:06 am

Cipherfx2 wrote:....
Doing all test in vmware.
Well see ... that is were it is *very* odd. My install ISO/CD works perfectly fine in MS Virtual PC. Only on an actual computer does it start behaving badly.

Furthermore, I can confirm that it is not the IMGBURNV2.4.1.0ADDON. The same thing happened without this addon included.

I will be damned if i know what the problem is. Unfortunately, I hate to waste CDs, because I cannot seem to get it to the other PC now without a working operating system. Seems to occur sometime right before T-13 which is the place where custom items are installed. It is irritating me to say the least.
--Anonymous

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 am

Since I'm using VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 and your using MS Virtual PC -- we'll see the difference (i'll try to test it in MS Virtual PC although its in Portable version [Thinstall]).

I'll report this afternoon -- it's lunch time now here in Philippines. Catch you later mate :wink:

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:33 am

Further investigation leads me to believe this may be a 'burning' issue.

All of my steps for integration, etc are done in nlite. This also includes the last step of making an iso image and only recently have I decided on using nlite to 'burn' the iso image.

After first testing the 'burned' cd on an actual computer, I took that same cd and tested it directly with MS Virtual PC. In Virtual PC, I used my DVD/CD burner to be "captured" and thus allowing any CDs to be read by the virtual PC.

Using the same problem CD, I reached T-15 with an error with "Internet Connection Wizard". Error stating: [Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration library (ICFGNT.DLL). The following error occurred: The specified module cound not be found.]

It could be an error that is undetectable in a Virtual PC, however this makes me believe it might be how the CD was burned with nlite. Further testing is necessary.

Edit: The 'virtual' install appears to continue normally, however I am concerned that it negatively affects an 'actual' PC install.

Further Edit: It appears to be the same issue although some tasks were completed in the 'virtual' install that did not complete in the 'actual' PC install. Will try re-installation with the ISO file to make sure it works.
--Anonymous

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:27 am

Well ... that rules out that issue. I did an install from the iso I saved before burning it. Similar issue.

Well, time to check again to see what might be causing me an issue. I know I just added "cyberaddonwga_1.759.1.7z" as a replacement for Ryans not updated WGAN mod, but I do not think that is it. Maybe one of the more recently updated mods is causing an issue.

Guess it will have to wait until tomorrow evening. Darn it, I got work in the morning. :(
--Anonymous

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:29 am

Here my findings:

Same procedure plus add more addons -- no error

What I forgot to do is shut/pause my antivirus [Kaspersky] during slipstream :oops:

And not related to this forum: is clear/delete the QSC directory of BTS :shock:

My mistake :oops: Thanks everybody...

Tested both on VMWare and two (2) real PC and further test on PC with Intel Celeron (old -- 360 pins) VIA motherboard with only 256MB Mem.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:12 am

Cipherfx2 wrote:@redxii

Thanks for clarifying it :)

By the way (BTW), can I use your SP3 update with rvmupdatepack2.2.1.7z, or do I slipstream after ryan's update pack :?:
Ryan's Update pack is for SP2 only. If you're going to use the SP3 update pack, then you would slipstream SP3 into a bare XP installation CD (no prior integrating/addons). You should also use the XP installation CD you have that has the earliest Service Pack on it, or none at all if you have that to perform the SP3 slipstream on.

After the SP3 slipstream, then you would use the SP3 update pack.

You should not slipstream SP3 onto a XP CD that already has Ryan's or anyone else's update pack already integrated.

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 pm

@roirraW "edor"

Thanks for the info 8)

I'll try to do that... just need to find a link (fast) to SP3 :rolleyes:

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:07 am

YW. No links found by me yet. Also note that the SP3 Update pack won't have been tested with SP3 RTM (build 5512) yet. It might need testing and/or an update as well since it was last tested with build 5508. I have no idea what if any differences there are between 5508 and 5512.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 am

i m not sure if beta sp3 will be able to retrieve WU updates for post sp3 till when its final. besides the fact that the latest build is for testing ... & for bug findings, till when again its finally final!.

XP SP3 being targeted to be released on the first half of calendar year 2008
leaves extra two more months .. from today ( 22.04.08 )

slipstream sp3 if you want to help sp3 till its finally out ...
or consider using post sp2 updatepack for to avoid any unknown issues with sp3

* the file versions for many files are replaced with each build, thats how builds are differed..

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:46 am

ENU_user wrote:i m not sure if beta sp3 will be able to retrieve WU updates for post sp3 till when its final. besides the fact that the latest build is for testing ... & for bug findings, till when again its finally final!.

XP SP3 being targeted to be released on the first half of calendar year 2008
leaves extra two more months .. from today ( 22.04.08 )

slipstream sp3 if you want to help sp3 till its finally out ...
or consider using post sp2 updatepack for to avoid any unknown issues with sp3

* the file versions for many files are replaced with each build, thats how builds are differed..
Haven't you heard, ENU_user? It's done, announced yesterday; too late to test now. Build 5512 is RTM. Manual downloads will be officially available from MS on 4/29 and through Automatic Updates 6/10. No leaked links yet.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 am

this would get so Ridiculous if this was to go on for another 2 extra mounts now wouldn't it ...

so this means WU is getting ready too serve post sp3 hotfixes from now on 8)

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 am

This is interesting. http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/windows ... -5512-rtm/ says:

It’s also reported that system installed with Windows XP SP3 RC v.3300 or later can upgrade directly to final version of SP3 without need to uninstall beta or release candidate versions of XP SP3.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:10 am

It sounds like not a lot has been done since build 3300. I bet its just blacklisting that has driven the build numbers up.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 am

We know that they added the high defintion audio fix in sometime after that. I'm sure there were some other changes as well.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Seems my thread got "hijacked". So STOP IT people.

But seriously, SP3 seems to have cleared up most issues (on the virtual computer). I am going to build and burn a CD with all of the addons I was using before and see if that works on a normal (read "real") computer for me. If that does, then it was probably the updates I was slipstreaming in with SP2. I will return with further updates after I test the new SP3 on a real computer.
--Anonymous

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 pm

The damnedest thing if I ever saw one. Appearantly SP3 *does not* fix the problem I am having. Therefore it must be an addon.

I just do not understand *why* it works just fine on a virtual PC but fails miserably somewhere between T-15 and T-13 on a *normal* PC.

Does anyone know what specifically happens during that time?

I do know that T-13 is where the svpck entries get executed. Therefore the install does not make it that far.
Anyone?
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:36 am

Sorry man I don't know what to suggest. Once you perform a process of elimination game with your addons and find out which addon was the culprit, maybe the symptoms might make more sense then (the fact that it works in a Virtual PC but not on a real one).

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:18 am

I guess my biggest problem is what would cause an install to work on a virtual PC, where as it would not work on a real PC.

Despite the obvious hardware "differences", if it does not work on a real computer, it should not work on a virtual computer.

I have no idea what would cause that issue.
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 am

Have you tried eliminating the addons yet? It can be very tedious with several addons but if I were going to do so (or more accurately when I've had to do so sometime in the past), I would try in these steps:

1. Try with only the update pack plus the official Microsoft hotfixes. Adjust as applicable if you're using SP3 now.

If you still have the problems, then you've just eliminated all your other addons and of course you'd then have to take things out one at a time and rebuild in order to find the source of the problem.

2. If #1 worked fine then try with all from #1 plus half of your addons. Doesn't really matter which, just choose half.

3. If #2 worked then try with all from #1 plus ONLY the other half of your addons, the ones you didn't try before.

If amazingly there still isn't any problem then maybe it's two addons causing problems for each other and you might as go for full tedium and just keep adding addons from scratch until the problem crops up.

I have to force myself sometimes to not get too caught up in why some weird thing happened on the computer. Certainly I would like to know why. Sometimes it'll be chance much later (months or even more than a year later) that I'll find some piece of information that solves one of my old mysteries.

Not to get paranoid, but your wife's computer might have failing hardware. Optical drive? RAM? My experience with failing optical drives is that sometimes I can build a Windows installation disc that will work just fine in them and other times they won't, which makes it hard to realize what the problem is. Any more when this happens, I just substitute a different optical drive and very often, this was the solution.

Of course I can't know this is the problem you're having, but it's certainly a possibility.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm

On the failing hardware, I might say yes (to the optical drive) except that I skipped using a CDROM and installed it straight from the hard drive.

As for the extensive testing, yes I am appearantly need to do that. But as it is an "in use" computer, that is not so easy. (I backup the hdd, then install OS, find problems and restore backup.)

In further investigation though, before restoring the hdd, I have saved the install logs hoping to find an issue. It seems that some files are not being registered properly (or maybe even copied properly). All indications would put it as a hardware issue (something conflicting or even failing), yet the computer is only year or so old, and everything looks to be working fine (hardware).

One thing I am going to try is using Ryan's integrator first to see if the problem goes away with that setup. If so, it may even be a nlite issue.

Well ... on to the testing (later today) ....
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Good luck and keep us informed. I would like to ask if maybe there is one difference between your virtual installations and your real installations. Do you start your virtual installations from your virtual hard drive like you do on your real computer with your real hard drive, or by booting from the ISO via the virtual CD-ROM?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun May 25, 2008 12:35 am

Well .... after further testing ( a lot ) and removing/changing odd addons ( in addition to going to SP3 ) ...

I still have the same problems. Where as it works on a virtual machine on my computer, it does not work on a separate *real* machine install.

In that, I have been thinking. I am wondering if preparation is directly affect by the machine it is prepared on? By this, my machine is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+. This means my computer is a dual core that has some hardware virtualization involved. The other "real" computer is an AMD Athlon XP 2500+. That means it is a single core processor.

On the cores issue, XP uses a different HAL file for single and dual core processors. Does anyone think this might cause an issue when preparing an installation CD?

I would have to do further testing on my preparation machine ( this computer ), but I really need to test if the install CD works on the computer it was prepared on. If it did, that would lend weight to the HAL issue. If not, I would be at a complete loss why it did not work on a *real* computer.

Anyway .... back to further testing ....

If anyone has any bright ideas ... I would love to hear them.
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 am

Since last September when I built my latest computer, I've been preparing all my new installation CDs/DVDs (2000, XP, Vista) on my Athlon 64 X2 4400+.

None of the computers that I actually installed these on, except for some Vista installations on the same computer, were dual core, and only one used Pentium's HyperThreading, where it looks and acts like dual core even though it isn't.

What about this question I had asked:

[quote="roirraW "edor""]I would like to ask if maybe there is one difference between your virtual installations and your real installations. Do you start your virtual installations from your virtual hard drive like you do on your real computer with your real hard drive, or by booting from the ISO via the virtual CD-ROM?[/quote]

Also, when I mentioned failing hardware, you addressed the optical drive aspect of it. But what about RAM? Also, do you have access to any other physical computer, even temporarily, to verify that the same installation disc does or does not have the problem on it, too?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun May 25, 2008 1:38 pm

[quote="roirraW "edor""]What about this question I had asked:

[quote="roirraW "edor""]I would like to ask if maybe there is one difference between your virtual installations and your real installations. Do you start your virtual installations from your virtual hard drive like you do on your real computer with your real hard drive, or by booting from the ISO via the virtual CD-ROM?[/quote]

Also, when I mentioned failing hardware, you addressed the optical drive aspect of it. But what about RAM? Also, do you have access to any other physical computer, even temporarily, to verify that the same installation disc does or does not have the problem on it, too?[/quote]

I put the installation disk on a CD-RW. Then I use the virtual machine to directly read that CD. I cannot see it being the media that it is written onto. Because I appear to have no problems with it. Even if that was the case, I have also copied the installation files directly via the network and tried installing directly from a HDD on the computer. Still same issues.

I do not think it is the RAM either. The target computer is used on a regular basis with no program problems at all. There have been no abnormal reboots, no reported program glithes, not any windows crashes either.

The only valid problem I see is difference in hardware (virtual and real). *But that should not make a difference.*

Edit: As an additional notice, can it have anything to do with the preparation machine being a x64 *capable* processor (with standard 32 bit OS), and the target machine just a standard 32 bit processor and OS?
--Anonymous

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

How about creating a ISO image using the virtual machine WinXP installation and then just compare it to the one created on the real machine?

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:53 pm

When you burn your ISO, do you verify it? Nero & IMGBurn (I assume others as well) have a verify check box, try doing that & see if it passes.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 am

Well .... further testing has ensued ...

It would appear that which computer I integrate on seems to not matter. Same problems even using the computer the CD was to be used on.

The only issue I can think of is some kind of incompatibility with nlite. Thus this makes using nlite problematic for me. I suppose what I need to do next is test specifically without nlite. This was not an option I wanted to take, but I guess it will be the only way I can surely determine if it is just an nlite issue.

I will try posting information on some of the text files to maybe help resolve the specific problem. I might even try disabling specific parts of the motherboard to see if something like the integrated network card is the problem.

Hmmm ... one test at a time ....
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed May 28, 2008 5:12 am

I hope you figure it out, I know it's not fun all the testing.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Fri May 30, 2008 5:13 pm

crashfly you didn't say which version of nLite you have used...
So far I used nLite I had no problems integrating the stuff I wanted.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:44 pm

i seriously dont know why one would need to use nlite when the integrator can acheve the same thing integration-wise and there is a vast list of addons that will make up for the fonctionalities that nlite has over the integrator.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri May 30, 2008 7:27 pm

bober101 wrote:i seriously dont know why one would need to use nlite when the integrator can acheve the same thing integration-wise and there is a vast list of addons that will make up for the fonctionalities that nlite has over the integrator.
Currently, I am using the latest version of nlite (v1.4.5). To answer your question bober101, nlite has a few things a bit easier than the Integrator.
  • One being, it can integrate drivers directly without a third party program (however, there are alternate programs that can be used).

Two, it allows for automatic removal of any or all integrated items. Current addons typically deal with only specific things, and there is no certainty of compatibility with SP3.

Three, nlite allows for setting default services. (This hopefully soon to be rectified by ENU_user with his BV preset services and descriptions addon).

Four, nlite allows for the "pre-customization" of the windows interface. *Before* I even have to touch any settings. Finding all of these settings individually takes too much time and figuring out how to add them correctly is another issue.

Five, nlite allows for the direct integration of updates from MS *without* them having to be integrated into any update pack.

Six, etc etc etc.
So there *are* quite a few good reasons to use nlite that the Integrator just cannot quite beat yet. However, as people keep creating the addons, it keeps getting better.
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sat May 31, 2008 12:06 am

bober101 wrote:i seriously dont know why one would need to use nlite when the integrator can acheve the same thing integration-wise and there is a vast list of addons that will make up for the fonctionalities that nlite has over the integrator.
I doubt if there are addons for every function that nLite can do. Crashfly even asked recently for some addons that could be used with RVMI that would duplicate some of nLite's functionality that so far RVMI doesn't have an addon for.

Also, all the functions are right there in the GUI. Just check them off or don't check them. No addons to hunt down; no keeping up with new versions of hundreds of addons, no bugs or compatibility problems created by a miriad of separate addons by different authors. No trying to track down which addon(s) are causing problems. You would have to force me at gunpoint to try to duplicate all of nLite's functions in RVMI.

RVMI isn't meant to replace nLite.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sat May 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Well ... now I am *really* at a loss. I figured it might be just a problem with the way nlite does certain things. Unfortunately, even with just Ryan's Integrator, I still have the same errors/problems when trying to use the installation CD on my wife's computer.

It appears to load some of the accessory icons and most of the "default" control panel items, otherwise, it seems to skip *any* custom addons and most everything else. When it gets done, I get a login prompt of the administrator.

This *really* confuses me. I am supposing I need to list all of the addons and whatnot, but most of the addons I never had a problem with *before* I ran into this problem a couple of months ago.

Geeze ... I need to test *more* now.
--Anonymous

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sat May 31, 2008 4:58 pm

One step closer to solving it...

I know that's not much of a consolation.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Crashfly have you tried one basic thing - integrate SP3 in to a SP2 installation, burn image and install?
Just to avoid all possible bugs of nLite, RVMI and all the addons.
So to say start from scratch and validate that your primary source disk is ok.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:08 pm

SelfMan wrote:Crashfly have you tried one basic thing - integrate SP3 in to a SP2 installation, burn image and install?
Just to avoid all possible bugs of nLite, RVMI and all the addons.
So to say start from scratch and validate that your primary source disk is ok.
No I have not. But in the interest of determining that, I will make an attempt when I have some time. Probably the obvious this I should have tried a while back.
--Anonymous

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Hmmm .... it is possible that my wife's computer *does* have some hardware issues with the latest install. It would seem that I was able to disable almost every onboard device on the motherboard, and it seems I was able to get a "good" install. Except for a file issue that did not copy properly (did not check media), everything seems to have worked.

Being that everything *mostly* worked .... I can work with that installation. Appearantly I did not have up to date drivers on the computer, so I am unable to get some hardware items working at this moment, but if all goes well, I might be able to call this one resolved. *Might*
--Anonymous

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 am

Well .... at least I can rest fairly easy now knowing that MS does not know how to correctly detect my wifes computer *at all*.

Appearantly, it seems that XP was detected the computer as an "MPS Uniprocessor PC". Which was not allowing *any* of the appropriate drivers to install. I changed it over to a "Standard PC" and the second I did that, everything started falling together. This leads me to believe that the original install was failing due to mis-detection of hardware. After fixing a "botched" file copy and other *minor* issues, it seems there was no 'integration issue' to begin with. My wife's computer is now humming along nicely with most of the latest software installed.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful help. I hope to create many more new install CDs. Thanks again.
--Anonymous

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:28 am

any chance that the original install was nlitened or anything other than a stock release directly from MSFT?

Also, did you every try to simply force-reset the BIOS to factory defaults?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 am

newsposter wrote:any chance that the original install was nlitened or anything other than a stock release directly from MSFT?

Also, did you every try to simply force-reset the BIOS to factory defaults?
No.

And yes.

By the "original" install, I meant the 'original custom' installation disk. The one I was originally preparing from nlite which integrated everything together to make it all work.

It appears that even the "factory default" settings still did not allow the install to detect correctly what the computer was. Being that it is also a motherboard from Taiwan or other foreign country, I should have expected that. Then again, it could have been something in the customization. Oh well, problem solved. Time to move on.
--Anonymous

Cipherfx2

Post by Cipherfx2 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:59 am

@crashfly

Can you post the motherboard type/kind/model...

Just in case I'll came across or bump with that kind of motherboard or similar, I'll have the idea what to do...